PDA

View Full Version : An Alternate Server Proposal. Lucius - NA.

Vykarus
09-20-2014, 11:20 AM
With Naima & Tahyang essentially full with 4 hour queues, I would like to propose that Lucius become an alternate RP server. The Grim Wolf Company already has a presence on the server, one day in, and there is an abundance of land and a lack of massive zerg guilds.

The overall feeling of the server is much better, in my opinion, but that is for the greater community to decide. There are still lots of land available for other guilds to form their guild cities and hubs, and I'd like to say that we've managed to capture the entirety of an island that we intend to form into a defended RP hub, open to all faction RPers, some place safe where we can learn each other's languages and the like.

Once again, I'm not declaring this an RP server, for ultimately that is for the community to decide, I just thought I'd offer an alternative choice.

BradicusMaximus
09-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Even if it doesn't become the 'secondary' rp server we can still add each other to hit up for good rp times

Kasus Cloud
09-20-2014, 03:38 PM
I would have to agree, if Lucius is still like this, then it should be considered for at least a temporary roleplay server, or perhaps a Secondary Roleplay server.

I will definitely consider popping my head in to say hello.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The flames grew cold, and there was naught but cinders. Even so, the man trudged on, as if driven not by the flames but by the maddening hope of a tomorrow worth living."

Laana
09-20-2014, 10:07 PM
I think it is a silly idea to jump servers because of queues. They'll be gone in a few days/a week, its not worth dividing roleplayers for the lifespan over the game over petty impatience.

BradicusMaximus
09-20-2014, 10:48 PM
A lot of people didn't bug out because of queues, some just wanted a better shot at land.

Kisala
09-21-2014, 12:41 PM
So we should split the community over land, land which will be available once people let their stuff expire or guilds move to Auroria once it opens? I don't think that should be a reason to split the community. I'm actually annoyed because there's some land expiring next to my farms and two big guilds are fighting over it when they've got a ♥♥♥♥ ton of land all around me. But I know they'll move on eventually and I can have my hub. Probably just gonna have to put my house elsewhere.

StillAlive
09-21-2014, 03:35 PM
The RP community could have been a lot more organized, and we probably could have planned to do something like this. Now with the game launched, I really don't see people coming together (not that they were before the game launched) enough to do this with the organization and coercing it would take, although it is a nice alternative. If I end up buying another character slot I'll definitely look into this server.

BradicusMaximus
09-22-2014, 09:34 AM
So we should split the community over land, land which will be available once people let their stuff expire or guilds move to Auroria once it opens? I don't think that should be a reason to split the community. I'm actually annoyed because there's some land expiring next to my farms and two big guilds are fighting over it when they've got a ♥♥♥♥ ton of land all around me. But I know they'll move on eventually and I can have my hub. Probably just gonna have to put my house elsewhere.

Land expiration is always mentioned as an alternative, but no one mentions the fustercluck that happens when its about to expire. It ends up everyone in a ridiculous pile waiting for that timer to expire so they can spam the crap out of their farm for a good chance at land.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but I don't see how these rp server shenanigans weren't planned for.

Kisala
09-22-2014, 09:46 AM
That's because you couldn't plan for it. People paid for headstart and wanted a server to play on and no matter what server was chosen this would happen because Trion didn't release enough servers before headstart. And yes people will spam to get the land in the beginning but eventually it will ease up and land will expire with hardly anyone fighting for it. It's just because it's launch and everyone is frantic to get land to keep/sell.

However it seems that the NA community are voting for a second server and Lucius is winning. :)

Yuritan
09-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Let's please not split the RP community!

The server lockouts are only there to force people who don't RP to other servers, because it doesn't matter for them if they're on an RP server or not. Some people don't know that Tahyang is the RP server, so once they leave and the server populations start equalizing, we'll have the place to ourselves.

Just please be patient everyone. Having 2 different RP servers and splitting the community is only a temporary solution.

ArchGaden
09-22-2014, 11:51 AM
The RP community is already split. Many of us can't play on Tahyang and are now established elsewhere.

I'm sure RPers who own land on Tahyang would rather the community not be divided, but the reality is that unless you're willing to abuse the character select screen and stay logged in, you just aren't going to play much on Tahyang right now. Even if the que dies down enough to be a viable server, there is still the problem of land ownship, which is a very important part of playing AA. I don't see the land situation easing up anytime soon. We're looking at 2 weeks before spots even start opening, and those will hotly contested. Eventually we'll get a patch that entices some guilds to move... but you'd be silly to believe that would just happen overnight. Most guilds aren't hardcore powerhouses with hundreds of stonepacks ready to go. Most guilds are just a handful of people sharing a house and a few farms... they won't even have incentive to mvoe. I expect it will be months before Tahyang is playable for a new player.

Eventually, perhaps wayward RPers can be pulled back to Tahyang when it is practical, but don't hold your breath... we'll have homes, friends, guilds, ect on our new servers. The only way out I see is if Trion were to create a new server, officially designated as RP, and offer free transfers to it. That could ease up Tahyang for the non-RP folk and give RPers a true home.

Miah
09-22-2014, 04:51 PM
^ I agree with this. It is not even a temporary solution. it will only further problems of a fracturing AA RP community. Hell the game has not been out long and we are already fracturing. Doing this will decrease the amount of RP that will be found and eventually kill RP in AA much sooner over a period of time than if we just stick to one server.

Look ahead to the future and not the "here and now."

So in that, for the good of a healthy RP community, I say nay to another RP server.

Rheios
09-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Lucius is simply the best option right now for people who are interested in RP'ing but missed the rush on Tahyang, not to mention the fact that you can't even make new characters on the server right now. So what are new people supposed to do? Just wait until Trion eventually gets it sorted, and not play at all? It's just not practical to think of Tahyang as the only place for roleplaying.

Warrik
09-22-2014, 06:24 PM
My main character is in the East on Inoch and I r/p there when I find it, but thanks to this thread I have created a new character in the West on Lucius, both named Warrik and always up for roleplay.

Yuritan
09-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Lucius is simply the best option right now for people who are interested in RP'ing but missed the rush on Tahyang, not to mention the fact that you can't even make new characters on the server right now. So what are new people supposed to do? Just wait until Trion eventually gets it sorted, and not play at all? It's just not practical to think of Tahyang as the only place for roleplaying.

You can make a character on Tahyang now. I worry for you people that couldn't wait. Just be patient! ^_^

ArchGaden
09-23-2014, 10:23 AM
You can make a character on Tahyang now. I worry for you people that couldn't wait. Just be patient! ^_^

Making a character doesn't eliminate the que or get you land to play with. I'm not trying to rain on the Tahyang parade... just giving some perspective. RP is just one aspect of the game, and a lot of us won't give up the rest of the game just for a bustling RP scene. It's easy to say 'just be patient!' or 'everything will/maybe be fine in a few weeks/months!'... but *shrug* worst case, I start over on Tahyang later actually knowing how to play and having avoided the frustration of playing on a massively overcrowded server. Best case, there is enough RP on my server so that I don't even feel a need to switch!

Yuritan
09-24-2014, 12:56 AM
You're free to play and RP wherever you want, but Tahyang will--and should be--the only unofficial RP server.

We both know that making characters on whatever server, forming splinter groups, just so you can login today or because you MUST HAVE LAND, will never have long term, engaging, open-world RP.

ArchGaden
09-24-2014, 05:40 AM
We both know that making characters on whatever server, forming splinter groups, just so you can login today or because you MUST HAVE LAND, will never have long term, engaging, open-world RP.

This is true... but we'll be able to play, and have land on another server at least. Due to the new anti-AFK measures, the que should be less of a problem now, so playing on Tahyang might even be possible, but many of us already missed the land grab. If you missed the Tahyang land grab and a bustling RP scene is your absolute #1 must have priority, then playing as a landless serf is the only option now... that or selling enough apex to make an offer someone can't refuse.

For myself, I'll stick to the server where I'm established and maybe run an alt on Tahyang. I might even play up the whole dirt poor serf bit and just embrace the role and see where it takes me. I can jump over proper when server transfers are up and Tahyang has some open land. Until then, most of my time will be on Inoch and I've already encountered enough RP to keep things interesting there... and thats not even the unofficial secondary RP server.

There is one amazing thing I've noticed about AA. This game gets people immersed very quickly when they get involved in the deeper mechanics of piracy, warfare, and trade routes. People end up RPing and don't even know it. I've had wonderful IC conversations with people as we slowly plod along to deliver a trade package. You just have to use your mental filter to block out the OOC cacophony and you'll find yourself in a wonderful place.

Warrik
09-24-2014, 06:54 AM
Agreed with both parties here, Yuritan is correct for sure in that Tahyang will be the no-doubt primary if unofficial r/p server hub. But as ArchGaden said, many of us weren't able to get onto that server before the lockout and now that character creation is once more possible, many of us have established ourselves elsewhere. My main is on Inoch as well, and though I've yet to find any r/p, I don't see giving up 21 levels of play to start all over. My lvl 10 alt on Lucius may get the axe though and I will create him anew on Tahyang. Being a F2P player, land holding just isn't in the cards for me, I recently quit my old MMO subscriptions after having my first son, priorities I fear are ever changing. I'm Warrik on Inoch and do hope to make my way as a guard for trade shipments, whether over sea or land, while also working some small farms and doing a bit of my own money making with trade packs. I'm in the East, anyone can look me up.

ArchGaden
09-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Being a F2P player, land holding just isn't in the cards for me, I recently quit my old MMO subscriptions after having my first son, priorities I fear are ever changing.

Even if you don't own land on Inoch, the public farms have space... including the public tree farm in Solis Headlands! I keep a crop of 5 hornbeam (big trees) in the public farm and never have trouble finding space. It is a thick forest, and I can rarely put two of the large trees together, but I always get 5 down and see plenty of open spots in there. That is 30-40 logs a day (or more if you can log in every 12 hr). That is a luxury I wouldn't have on Tahyang I'm sure.

Warrik
09-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Aye, I found the place just yesterday as I was seeking to plant some grapevines for a trade quest. I'll remember that tree you mentioned though, so I might start accruing logs as well.