PDA

View Full Version : Roleplay in Arche Age will suck until...

Gankyu
09-21-2014, 07:25 PM
They give the emote system some love.

Emotes

The current emote animations are nifty, however they could use some improvements. For examples, please see Rift's emotes.
Currently if you wave to someone, the intended person has no idea. A simple text to go along with an emote would be highly welcomed and help create a more social atmosphere.

For instance /wave would create the text: Gankyu waves to %t. (%t would be my current selected target's name)
The person would then at least know I was waving to them, without having to stand on top of their toes, getting up close and personal hoping they were paying attention to me.

Rift also has sound attached to emotes, not actual voices, but at least some sound. Emotes so far have a "lifeless" , limited use and feel to them. Please add some sauce or spice to them.

Or the cheap and easy route; at a minimum you could add the ability for a user to create their own text emotes with the ability to quickslot it to an action bar. So if I was riding by someone who caught my eye, I could target that person and click my wave, or hello button, and it would say something like "Gankyu waves to %t".

I'm liking the game and all of the variety of things to do; however it's lacking the social tools I'm beginning to miss from rift and some other well known games.

TL;DR - we need more tools to help us engage others on a more social level. (guild finder, LFG finder, better refined emotes with sound and target specific text feedback)

Bats
09-22-2014, 08:07 AM
I completely agree.
As soon as I got my first skill point, I found the empires and spent the next 20 minutes (lag included) playing around with them. They are, like you said, "lifeless."
I come from Mabinogi where emotes (which come with facial expressions) bring characters to life.
Personally, I don't think I will get used to these emotes.
I got my glider yesterday, so im playing Mabinogi today. Make the game more RP friendly and I'll more than likely abandon Mabinogi.

Fix
09-22-2014, 08:30 AM
I completely agree.
As soon as I got my first skill point, I found the empires and spent the next 20 minutes (lag included) playing around with them. They are, like you said, "lifeless."
I come from Mabinogi where emotes (which come with facial expressions) bring characters to life.
Personally, I don't think I will get used to these emotes.
I got my glider yesterday, so im playing Mabinogi today. Make the game more RP friendly and I'll more than likely abandon Mabinogi.

I never found Mabinogi's emotes to be particularly good either, but that could be partially because my character never takes off his helmet :[

I thought this game had something along the lines to "Fix sits next to Bucket" or something like that. At least I thought I saw it once.

Rheios
09-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Yeah, because chat doesn't already fly by, now we need to see everyone's emote text too...

Telonos
09-23-2014, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure about all emotes, but I know that /wave does actually generate text to the chat log. No idea what channel it's going to, but it is there because I saw it yesterday. I will play around with it a little more later when I get home; I've been focused on just getting acclimated to the game itself, emotes have been the furthest thing from my mind.

Maverik
09-23-2014, 08:43 AM
I'll just be happy if they ever add an emote channel. I've honestly never seen an MMO without one.
Like Telonos said, there are some emotes that generate text. Why can't we make custom ones? Is it too much to ask for?

Bell
09-23-2014, 09:32 AM
I express everything my character does through writing. Just as I would roleplay on a forum or any text based program, I do not need character animations to express what my character is doing. A good writer can bring their character to life through words without requiring animations. As well, why do we need an emote channel or custom emote system? Just put ** around an action within what you are saying. Does it really need to be a different color and within its own chat to be truly recognized as an action? It's nothing more than a game mechanic. And game mechanics mean nothing within roleplay.

Djinsei
09-23-2014, 09:33 AM
As Rpers, we have to make due with what we have. Make a chat tab dedicated to local chat and RP old school. typing *waves to bucket* is how we used to do it in my day before all of these animations and emoticons and stuff. It suited us then and I'm confident it can act as a temporary fix until the programs for rp are updated.

Essence
Firran
Ezi lvl16

xRavyn
09-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Signed, blessed, begged for, and et cetera... :P

Darwood
09-23-2014, 01:25 PM
/wave does say you wave at x. You might need to turn on the emote channel. Also note that the emotes via the buttons don't write to the emote channel.

LunaNahueli
09-23-2014, 09:23 PM
if you /wave /flowers /etc. in the chat, to someone (not using the buttons) it will indeed say 'so and so waves/sprinkles petals/whatever to so and so'. It just may not be you've enabled that text in that channel. I don't know which it is considered though ... local?

Gankyu
09-24-2014, 09:04 AM
I express everything my character does through writing. Just as I would roleplay on a forum or any text based program, I do not need character animations to express what my character is doing.

A good writer can bring their character to life through words without requiring animations.

As well, why do we need an emote channel or custom emote system? Just put ** around an action within what you are saying. Does it really need to be a different color and within its own chat to be truly recognized as an action? It's nothing more than a game mechanic. And game mechanics mean nothing within roleplay.

Paragraphed and spaced to make you a "good writer" - and your feedback far more readable.

Also, please don't be so obtuse. If you can't grasp why clicking a button and having it insert text for you isn't helpful, desired, and a staple of any modern mmo (and many older ones), then perhaps you still think your old brick phone (http://www.vintagemobilephones.com/MyImages/Toy%20Brick%20Phone%20-%20Commnet%20%281%29.JPG) still does the job perfectly too.