PDA

View Full Version : [Proposal] Idea for a VOIP justice center

Maulth
09-23-2014, 01:51 AM
Hey all, I had an idea a bit earlier and was curious if others would be interested in this. The trial feature is pretty cool, and fairly unique, and I wanted to add a bit more player interaction with it.

I want to create a mumble server (VOIP choice explained in a minute) where people who wish to discuss/argue their case with their selected Jury can do so. Defendant and Jury who are willing would connect to the mumble, and enter a channel for their case/court thing. This channel would be relayed to another channel, so people who were interested in listening could join that channel and listen to them hash it out. This would give a more in-depth experience to trials, and however gimmicky seeming, would add a cool community feature to trials. I would probably wind up writing a script eventually (because trolls will be trolls) that creates a set of temporary users (much like an op link that a lot of alliances in Eve use, if anyone is familiar) and only lets them into a preset jury/court channel, that way people who are not part of the ordeal can't barge in and mess the thing up. Mumble is the best way to do this because of it's api and the echo channels.

What does everyone think?

Nodoze
09-23-2014, 04:26 AM
Hey all, I had an idea a bit earlier and was curious if others would be interested in this. The trial feature is pretty cool, and fairly unique, and I wanted to add a bit more player interaction with it.

I want to create a mumble server (VOIP choice explained in a minute) where people who wish to discuss/argue their case with their selected Jury can do so. Defendant and Jury who are willing would connect to the mumble, and enter a channel for their case/court thing. This channel would be relayed to another channel, so people who were interested in listening could join that channel and listen to them hash it out. This would give a more in-depth experience to trials, and however gimmicky seeming, would add a cool community feature to trials. I would probably wind up writing a script eventually (because trolls will be trolls) that creates a set of temporary users (much like an op link that a lot of alliances in Eve use, if anyone is familiar) and only lets them into a preset jury/court channel, that way people who are not part of the ordeal can't barge in and mess the thing up. Mumble is the best way to do this because of it's api and the echo channels.

What does everyone think?Pretty creative. I don't plan on doing things that end me up on trial but may be serving on a jury so I may be interested in trying this. If there is a way to implement a 'hear only' for non-participants (not on trial and not in jury) then that my mitigate risk of trolls. In the end you may have to have some sort of administrator who can quickly ban or kick trolls.

Maulth
09-23-2014, 01:28 PM
The way it can be setup is like this

2 Channels Created
Jury Channel
Audience Channel
Script to set the jury members + defendant with a connection token that allows them to join the jury channel

Defendant and Jury members connect and go to Jury channel
Anyone who wants to listen to the proceedings can login and go to the Audience channel
The voice communications from the Jury channel are rebroadcast to the Audience channel, but the audience channel cannot talk to the jury channel, only listen.

Totalwars54
09-24-2014, 07:17 AM
Pretty nice idea actually!

Teddyursa
09-26-2014, 04:53 AM
I like this idea as well. I would tune in just to listen to the court cases.

Leggerless
09-26-2014, 07:54 AM

I want to create a mumble server where people who wish to discuss/argue their case with their selected Jury can do so... That creates a set of temporary users (much like an op link that a lot of alliances in Eve use, if anyone is familiar) and only lets them into a preset jury/court channel, that way people who are not part of the ordeal can't barge in and mess the thing up. Mumble is the best way to do this because of it's api and the echo channels.

[Setup:]
2 Channels Created
Jury Channel
Audience Channel
Script to set the jury members + defendant with a connection token that allows them to join the jury channel

Defendant and Jury members connect and go to Jury channel
Anyone who wants to listen to the proceedings can login and go to the Audience channel
The voice communications from the Jury channel are rebroadcast to the Audience channel, but the audience channel cannot talk to the jury channel, only listen.

Hm. Seems nice. May even be a foundation for RP.

VOIP aside, there is one important question I must ask though:
How will you convince people to go onto the server?

Edit: This may be looking far too out towards the future, but a neutral party VOIP that can host summits is an idea we'll just throw out here too.

Shaquisha
09-26-2014, 08:27 AM
I struggle to see how this could actually work. Typically half the jury are people who actually interact, the other half are BRs or broken english speakers. There are many players who don't even visit these forums.

Lets also face the fact that most of the people on trial are doing this for entertainment. When I land in court its usually because I had a guildmate kill me so I can clear my time at the close of the night. I want to put on a show for the server watching /trial, not go into a voice chat and plead and beg to save me the 30 minute sentence. Heck 99% of the time the "guilty" time offered is less than what I get from Ezi's everyone is guilty juror policy.

TL:DR - This wont work.