PDA

View Full Version : Tips to Upstarting guilds from Veterans :D

Baddiez
09-24-2014, 07:04 AM
Hi, I am Baddiez(Ign:Maddiez). I have noticed a huge gap between the majority of our east guilds and the western guilds (aside from one or two). I'm not even going to pretend that I know a lot about this game, because I do not. Most of my guild (Uncrowned) are new to the game and have only really researched and found information about the basics. I was wondering if there was anything some of the better more established veteran guilds could point out or suggest working on in order to have a successful guild in the upcoming months. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

- Maddiez

Paranos
09-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Maddiez, While I'm typically not a fan of large guilds - it seems that this type of game (PvP Centric) can be a better experience if you have people that you can play with on a regular basis. I prefer small guilds because they're easier to manage and it becomes a tighter-knit group, however - you'll get steamrolled more often than not when it comes to sheer sizes of some of these guilds.

The best advice I can give to you is to read up on as much of the game as possible. Find players who compliment your playstyle and work together to start taking steps towards getting your first homes, then a ship, etc.

If you have any specific questions, post them here and we'll try to give you a hand. :)

Baddiez
09-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Currently our guild has around 200 members 60-100 which are active at any given moment. My current concern is that we are being seen as a "zerg" guild. What we had planned was to recruit a decent amount of players and then lay down some infrastructure, set goals and assign tasks(crafting etc), but it's proven to be a bit more difficult than we originally anticipated coordinating it all. I'm also confused if we should focus gold for buying items for our guild or gildas to get merchant ships/galleon. Currently we have a handful of players I think 5-10 that have clippers, and I am trying to coordinate trade packs with some of our "core"(players who came with me from another game) to get a specific player to 250 gildas so that we may have our first galleon.

Zariya
09-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Hello Baddiez!

It is nice to meet you! I think it is great that you are reaching out to the community and I hope to help you with your questions. Every guild has a different view on the word "success," in this game, so I am not sure what your goals are. For my guild, success simply means our members are enjoying the game to the fullest that they can. I have a suggestion: focus on how you want your guild to play the game and then establish guidelines to your members so that you are all on the same page.

For example, part of my guilds focus is for a good community, so that I have placed guidelines in place for my guildmates to adhere to that; I tell them to leave greens alone unless they have been proven to be hostile to us.

Paranos is correct - there is a lot know about this game! Its one of the reasons I like it so much. I was wondering if you have some aspect of the game that interests your guild and from there perhaps we can give you some tips!

Zariya
09-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Currently our guild has around 200 members 60-100 which are active at any given moment. My current concern is that we are being seen as a "zerg" guild. What we had planned was to recruit a decent amount of players and then lay down some infrastructure, set goals and assign tasks(crafting etc), but it's proven to be a bit more difficult than we originally anticipated coordinating it all. I'm also confused if we should focus gold for buying items for our guild or gildas to get merchant ships/galleon. Currently we have a handful of players I think 5-10 that have clippers, and I am trying to coordinate trade packs with some of our "core"(players who came with me from another game) to get a specific player to 250 gildas so that we may have our first galleon.

We posted at nearly the same time. Since you have so many members, I do not think you have to choose between gold or gildas, if you coordinate well you should be able to do both. A guild master cannot do everything on his/her own - so ask those core members to take the lead in individual projects.

A " zerg" guild gets it reputation based on how their members act. Establish well defined rules of expected playstyle and you should be able to not get that reputation. Good luck!

ArchGaden
09-24-2014, 08:25 AM
My current concern is that we are being seen as a "zerg" guild.

I've been through a lot of MMOs and I've seen many of the best guilds start off as 'zerg' guilds. This gives them an early advantage in acquiring resources and developing some skilled players. Later, some of those guilds will cull off members or split to create a solid guild of experienced players, leaving the chaff behind... it sounds cruel, and often is, but it does work.

Of course, AA is a different beast than most MMOs. Instead of the end-game being bound by raid number caps, It is more aking to EVE, where sheer numbers remain an advantage, even in the end-game. To handle those numbers well, you'll need an effective chain of command with ranks earned through demonstrating skill and trust. People will hate the guild for being successful and large, attributing that success to the 'zerg'...when really, it takes a lot of skill to coordinate the effort of so many players... and honestly, most huge guilds have a core of highly skilled players anyway. It's just easy to hate a zerg.

All that being said, I prefer moderately sized guilds myself. I find large guilds to be an overwhelming experience... but they can be fun as well!

Baddiez
09-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Honestly, the game we came from isn't so good. We have a "bad reputation" there for various reasons, but that aside what we want in this game is to PvP. We want to become a force to be reckoned with, but not because we have numbers (hence the desire to not become a zerg guild), but because we have skilled players who understand the intricacies of PvP in this game. However, a lot of the more "hardcore" member that came with me have developed a love for crafting (myself included). I feel like I'm in middle school playing Runescape again. So I do want to have a "strong" pvp focus, but also develop the craft skills so that people can enjoy something during their off time. One question I do have is are there any "unwritten" rules to PvP in this game or PvP etiquette?

Also about the zerg thing. What exactly is the definition of a "zerg guild" for this game. In my previous game we had a 4 guild alliance and I would lead the four guilds simultaneously roughly 150-300 players (ofc with other designated leaders to deal with things I couldn't see or in areas I wasn't present), but we were called zergers when in my opinion we were just a large group of coordinated players working towards our goal. I think the difference is have 300 people then saying go kill people, and having 300 people assigning groups for specific classes/players and then carrying out your mission while simultaneously keeping track of your allies movement and what not.

Laelais
09-24-2014, 08:43 AM

The problem I have seen and or ran into with guilds of that size is the lack of knowing whom you're fighting beside. You get lost in a crowd that large, as far as people thinking you're a zerg guild I wouldn't sweat what other people think just don't lose sight of the fact that you need to make your members feel like they belong and or like they are part of the action....maybe maybe break it down into divisions like you had planned. Do you currently have a guild website that could go a long ways towards helping also.

ArchGaden
09-24-2014, 09:39 AM
as far as people thinking you're a zerg guild I wouldn't sweat what other people think just don't lose sight of the fact that you need to make your members feel like they belong and or like they are part of the action

Pretty much this... a lot of people will throw a 'zerg' label your way just because you're large. A large guild can, and usually does, have many skilled members. A large guild that is well coordinated will be a major faction on the server. Some will like you, some will not, but everyone will recognize you.

We want to become a force to be reckoned with, but not because we have numbers (hence the desire to not become a zerg guild), but because we have skilled players who understand the intricacies of PvP in this game.

You can have both, and having greater numbers actually makes it easier to find and develop skilled players. In games like AA and EVE, skilled players will flock to powerhouse guilds to get access to things that most other guilds can't... like castles and faction territory.

If you want, you can manage your reputation... set some popular rules and enforce them (like 'not uprooting', 'no stealing crops', ect). You could even do some community service...say... tractor runs for people doing trade-route quests or other such events that give the community a postive impression. Of course, AA is designed to be a cut-throat game where stealing is encouraged ... so maybe just be a dire wolf of a guild and earn your respect through fear and power.

As an aside note, I love watching the antics of huge guilds from the sidelines... Criminals, Meowcenaries, SIN, and the like. I maybe have to join one someday just to be a part of that insanity. Even when I'm trying to run trade routes and some huge pirate guild is after me, I'll still love it. A good story needs villains and empires.

Paranos
09-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Even when I'm trying to run trade routes and some huge pirate guild is after me, I'll still love it. A good story needs villains and empires.

Amen, its fun!

Zariya
09-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Amen, its fun!
I absolutely agree!

C0mrade
09-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Now, the absolute best thing for you to do would be to leave your guild and join Legion. You could not learn more anywhere else :)

Zariya
09-24-2014, 04:49 PM
Now, the absolute best thing for you to do would be to leave your guild and join Legion. You could not learn more anywhere else :)

lol heya comrade!