PDA

View Full Version : Scammers

Ming
10-01-2014, 06:07 PM
As scamming is legal according to the FAQ, I suppose it's also legal to post names of scammers to bring down their reputation. We cannot do anything else, as it is (a very funny isn't it ?) 'feature' of the game.

Kenix scammed me for 30 golds for a land
Gasznak scammed me for 5 expansions scrolls for a land

I am stupid, I am dumb, I am an idiot because I have been scammed 2 times. If you want.

But you cannot use certificates for scarecrow farms so you have to trust your seller.

With people abusing property (guys with 5 lands), hackers (who win all 'soon to be free' buildings by hacking), sellers are overpowered and they know it.

Emnel
10-01-2014, 08:21 PM
If you want that to be effective, tell the guilds those people are in.

Ming
10-01-2014, 11:12 PM
I wanted to. But there is no way to find the guild of a guy with just his name. Didn't find anything ingame, no /who command or list of guilds.

Ming
10-02-2014, 01:41 PM
No way to find their guild name ? Please, if you encounter them, can you note and write their guild name here ?

Thanks !

uNk
10-02-2014, 11:45 PM
Hi, sorry to hear youve been scammed. Gasznak is in "Varshen" guild.

MessiahOnMelisara
10-03-2014, 01:38 AM
Kenix has one of the nicest houses and plots in this game. is my neighbour actually...

sad to hear this :/

~M~

Carvilius Maximus
10-03-2014, 07:16 AM
I don't really want to start a discussion about it, but I need to clarify some stuff. Here's my perspective:

I get around 15 mails/whispers a day from people wanting to buy my land. Just because my house is unfinished it doesn't mean I want to give it to someone for free. There are people who offer a lot for it (max so far was 350 gold) and there are people who want to get it for almost nothing (5 trade scrolls = 65 gold = 7 trade runs = 1,5 hours of playing and 840 labor). When you answer them, they spend 30 minutes trying to convince you that they just bought 7 similar plots for less than 50 gold and basically they are doing you a favor for buying it from you. Yeah, right.

Let's assume that the average price for a 24x24 plot in a prime location like Two Crowns Northern Coast is worth 200 gold atm (personally I think it's much more). Buying it for 65 means 135 gold profit for you and 135 gold loss for me. That's why I don't really feel bad about taking your scrolls. You wanted to scam me, I wanted to scam you. We were both greedy trying to earn some free gold and I was a little bit smarter. Next time don't send/give your stuff to a person that you don't know at all and remember to be careful, trust no one and use appraisal certificates. Fortunately you only lost 65 gold which isn't that much (see calculations above).

Moreover, faction chat is spammed with 'WTB 100x100 plot for 15 gold' and other trade messages. It's annoying. We all suffer from a cognitive bias that makes us believe that we are special. I know it's hard to accept, but there is almost no chance that you can buy something worth X for X/10. Unfortunately that's the reality. I hope people will learn that.

Finally, let me quote a guide that a friend linked me a few years ago (when I was scammed for the first time in EVE):
Scams come in all shapes, sizes, and flavors. (...) To understand a scam you have to understand the target. Scammers aim for those who are greedy, hasty, and/or ignorant. 90% of scams can be avoided by double checking a contract inventory, or carefully thinking a situation through. Remember: if something seems too good to be true, it probably is! Turn anything suspicious down, and don't be afraid to ask for advice or information (...) from people you trust.

You can find the rest of that guide HERE (http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Scams_in_Eve).

tl;dr version: Use appraisal certificates. Don't try to buy land from me. I won't feel bad for taking free stuff.

Cheers,
Gas

PS. Hopefully this was my first and last serious post on this forum. Please don't expect me to answer any further questions.

Ming
10-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the guild name.

Carvilius: both transactions were for an EMPTY 16x16 land ! You can't compare it with the price of a 24x24 Thatched Farm House !

And about certificates, correct me if am wrong, but you can't use a certificate for an empty land. There must be a (finished ?) house on it.

Xabien
10-04-2014, 03:03 AM
As scamming is legal according to the FAQ, I suppose it's also legal to post names of scammers to bring down their reputation. We cannot do anything else, as it is (a very funny isn't it ?) 'feature' of the game.

Kenix scammed me for 30 golds for a land
Gasznak scammed me for 5 expansions scrolls for a land

I am stupid, I am dumb, I am an idiot because I have been scammed 2 times. If you want.

But you cannot use certificates for scarecrow farms so you have to trust your seller.

With people abusing property (guys with 5 lands), hackers (who win all 'soon to be free' buildings by hacking), sellers are overpowered and they know it.

Gasznak is not a scammer - we have very, very strict rules against scamming and ganking same faction members.

This is about the fact you spammed his private chat asking to buy his farm yes? And then despite him saying 'no' repeatedly, you mailed him stuff to 'buy' the farm yes? We've spoken about it, you spammed repeatedly and completely ignored him when he told you he wasn't interested - the decent thing for you to do would've been to drop it, not start mailing him unrequested items. However we have asked that he return them - but that's up to him as you threw them at him :)

Jestunhi
10-04-2014, 03:05 AM
The problem with name & shame threads is the lack of proof.

What's to stop me from insisting that the OP is a scammer? Given that scamming isn't against the rules it's unlikely that Trion will look into it on our behalf to make sure that people aren't using these threads for unprovoked harassment.

Ming
10-04-2014, 12:51 PM
I have been reimbursed by Varshen guild itself, they have a strict rule about NON scamming for their members. Gasz didn't know this (scamming is not against the rules for Trion, it's just a question of honor :-) ).

I consider the case 'Gasznak' closed.

Chryos
11-05-2014, 03:58 AM
Never buy land without using the safe sale method.

Najto
11-05-2014, 03:54 PM
We need a thred for trusting traders :) so far i done all with not beeing scammed