+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forum Suggestions

Forum Suggestions

I've got a few issues with the way the forums are set up and know I cannot be alone in this. Trion opted to use vBulletin, which is chock full of options to help foster a great community experience, but these are not being utilized. In no particular order:
    • no forum suggestions area... it's off-topic from game discussion, but when fostering a currently forum-only community...?
    • logged out every few minutes if only reading through posts or writing longer posts. <-- huge!
    • re-logging in usually takes you to the top-level forums directory rather than the page you were on.
    • custom avatars not allowed while posting random pix and videos within posts are. <-- rational?
    I know there are more than this, but having relogged in several times in the past hour while catching up, thought I should put this out ASAP. I may add to this post as I remember or experience more. I also realize that properly setting up a community forum for a commercial product requires some forethought, but using this forum really makes me feel untrusted and less than second class.

Any have other problems with the forum set-up?

p.s. I just tried to use 'preview post' after writing this very short post that took me all of a few minutes to write... was already logged out. Thank goodness I was prepared for the required copy/paste.
    _~
    _~)_)_~
    )_))_))_)
    _!__!__!_
    \______t/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It made me think about it.
    It made me.
    Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Voldrax View Post
    I've got a few issues with the way the forums are set up and know I cannot be alone in this. Trion opted to use vBulletin, which is chock full of options to help foster a great community experience, but these are not being utilized. In no particular order:
    • no forum suggestions area... it's off-topic from game discussion, but when fostering a currently forum-only community...?
    • logged out every few minutes if only reading through posts or writing longer posts. <-- huge!
    • re-logging in usually takes you to the top-level forums directory rather than the page you were on.
    • custom avatars not allowed while posting random pix and videos within posts are. <-- rational?
    I know there are more than this, but having relogged in several times in the past hour while catching up, thought I should put this out ASAP. I may add to this post as I remember or experience more. I also realize that properly setting up a community forum for a commercial product requires some forethought, but using this forum really makes me feel untrusted and less than second class.

Any have other problems with the forum set-up?

p.s. I just tried to use 'preview post' after writing this very short post that took me all of a few minutes to write... was already logged out. Thank goodness I was prepared for the required copy/paste.
    We've actually decided against a Suggestions subforum as the game has yet enter public testing in our region. Once we're underway, we can reevaluate this decision.

There have been a few threads about forum avatars and we're producing pre-made ArcheAge images before activating that feature. As for the quick logout timer, that's something we're working to address.

Working to address? I've run forums for years and know how much 'work' is involved in changing a setting. lol! I laugh to hide the tears...
    _~
    _~)_)_~
    )_))_))_)
    _!__!__!_
    \______t/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It made me think about it.
    It made me.
    Think about it.

Lightbulb We Need a ShoutBox

We need a Shoutbox just because at some point in the game ,News will drop, important events will happen and people will go on forums o be updated quickly and seeing 20 different threads about it is just wasting time and space.

something like on the forums.archeagegame.com/ page on either left or right side,
    shouldn't be at the top and might not know it's there if on bottom, left or right for convenience and visibility.
    IGN: Baragan|Race: Nuian|Server: Enla

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it

Some things I'd like to see:
    • User-submitted avatars (since we can also submit a personal picture within our profile).
    • Post Style UCP module.
    • Login redirection to your previous page.
    • CSS profile overrides, in the distant future.

Of course, these are just my personal suggestions and may not be reflected by anybody else.

- + - + - + -

ALSO, to change the automatic logout time, go to:

Admin CP --> vBulletin Options --> Cookies and HTTP Header Options --> Time-Out for Cookie

Enter a new, longer session timeout.
    A broken key for a faulty lock,
    A fevered pray for a dying flock,
    Like consonants without vowels.

Please enable Strikethrough on the forums for text editing...

If your version of vBulletin doesn't already have it...

---

You need a custom BB code.

AdminCP > Custom BB Codes > Add New BB Code

Fill in the fields as follows:

Title: Strike
    Tag: strike
    Replacement: <strike>{param}</strike>
    Example: [strike]strikeout text[/strike]
    Description: The [strike] tag allows you to display crossed-out text
    Use Option: No

You can create a button image if you like for the new posting windows, I haven't bothered though.

Please Add Collapsible Box function to the board:

Collapsible Box
    Will put your content in an expandable/collapsable container with the caption at the top of the container.
    Usage [expand=Option]value[/expand]
    Example Usage [expand=caption]content[/expand]
    Example Output
    caption:

Or put in the SPOILER tag.
    Spoiler:

This helps us have an expandable section, so as to make posts easier to read and organize when they contain a lot of information.

I agree with the avatar suggestion. Custom avatars makes for a much better community than pre-selected ones.

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say I would also like custom, user created, avatars to be an option. Even if they have to go through approval, for a little while. It would be just my luck if all you had were manly avatars and nothing cute or girly or enchanting.

+ Reply to Thread