+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Personal Review of ArcheAge

Lightbulb My Personal Review of ArcheAge

My Personal Review of ArcheAge

This is going to be a very long post discussing my view on the game with my experience with it. You may agree or disagree with my views or you may not even read this entire post. I do hope that it is a good read for those interested; I would appreciate any feedback or thoughts on my post.

Please! Do not quote this entire post if you reply!

Before I begin, my experience with ArcheAge is of somewhat short time period of playing the game in comparison to some, and a long time period in comparison to others. I bought the Archeum Founder's Pack the week it came out after much deliberation, and I dropped the subscription of my favorite game up to that point. Before this I had been following ArcheAge and its progress in Korea and Russia for nearly 2 years, but only started playing as an alpha tester.
    I want to start off saying that this is one of the best games I have ever played, and that is saying a lot. I have always loved “sandbox” genre games, and ArcheAge truly embodies all that I have wanted in such a game of that genre. The combination of the open-world of ArcheAge, its player-driven gameplay, and not to mention the ability to choose your own path, are something I have never experienced before in a game. The world feels real.
    Creating your own story with nearly no restraints is a massive boost to the already great role-playing capability ArcheAge is able to host. I have yet to experience this side of the game, but when I do I am certain that I will not be disappointed.

The trading portion of the game has really caught my unbridled attention. The feeling of taking a trade pack from one part of a continent to another is calming and enjoyable, and feels very real. Traveling the open sea is just as great, and I’m very much enjoying just how big this game is. I enjoy trading nearly more than anything else in this game, but there is a problem.
    Inter-continental trade routes have always been profitable, but they are not as enjoyable as a trans-continental route along the coast. Such a trade route is calming and enjoyable, something you can do any time. However, there is absolutely no reason to do them, and there is even less of a reason with the newest Gilda Star change. I enjoy trade routes along the coast, across the continent, but I have no reason to do them and so I hoard my trade packs until I can take them on an inter-continental trade route. I do not know what can be done to make this enjoyable activity worth-while, but something should be done.
    Furthermore, I believe that pirates are a necessary part of the game and should be profitable if you choose such a path, however the ability for any person to “camp” trade docks, waiting for someone to come by with a trade pack, just to kill the trader and steal their pack for minimal effort is something that is a problem that needs to be fixed. My suggestion is that if you steal someone else’s pack you cannot turn their pack into the trader in that area. Perhaps a black market trade could be established, but the current system does not seem to work well.

Leveling in ArcheAge is not as enjoyable, but I am certain that it is a necessary evil. In most games that I play I pay more attention to the game’s story most of all, but in ArcheAge I have completely ignored it, skipping over every conversation and cut-scene I come across. This could be improved greatly by re-voicing everything in English rather than relying on broken English translations, if even that. However, I see that ArcheAge is not about its own linear story, but making your own.

On the convenience and controls side of the game, it could be improved.
    I am a player that prefers, or perhaps almost needs to have the A and D buttons set to strafe, but for some odd reason strafe does not control boats, vehicles or gliders and because of this I have had to set my turn keys to SHIFT+A and SHIFT+D in order to control vehicles or boats at all. This is a workaround to an issue that can easily be fixed.
    A highly brought up suggestion is allowing players to choose the option of a windowed full-screen mode. It would be highly beneficial to the game, as it adds more convenience and enjoyment to those playing it.
    Last on this topic, the ability to choose names for your character and your possessions needs to be changed, or fixed, depending on how you view it. Currently our naming system is limited, as we can only have a single name with no spaces. Expanding the system to include spaces allows us to have surnames and gives us more freedom in naming our boats, vehicles and pets. I would like my name to be “Pingonaut Antilles,” but I am limited to just “Pingonaut.” I would like my boat’s title to be something like “Nuia International Freighter,” but I am limited to simply “Freighter.” This change would be greatly benefit a majority of the community and would increase the immersion of the game, benefiting role-players even more.

Overall, this is a $150 well spent for me. After buying the Archeum Founder’s Pack I have gotten more out of this game than I would have ever thought, and certainly have received more than $150 worth of enjoyment out of it. If you read this entire review I applaud you and your skills of reading and patience. There is so much more to this game that I have not covered, and those items that I have discussed were barely touched on to their fullest. ArcheAge is a game with a lot of potential, and I am happy to be here to see it blossom.

Thank you,
    Pingonaut
    Pingonaut [ Blighter : Battlerage, Defense, Shadowplay ]

if you think about it, isn't leveling in any mmo something we all love to hate? lol I mean don't get me wrong I'm an Altaholic, but redoing everything you've essentially done 5+ times can get kinda boring.
    Motherboard: ASRock 970DE3/U3S3|CPU: AMD FX-6300 O.C 4.0Ghz @1.345 Volts
    RAM: 8gb G. Skill Sniper|GPU: AMD XFX R9 270X 2GB

Quote Originally Posted by Soaison View Post
    if you think about it, isn't leveling in any mmo something we all love to hate? lol I mean don't get me wrong I'm an Altaholic, but redoing everything you've essentially done 5+ times can get kinda boring.
    Exactly, that is why I view it as a necessary evil. Games have to have progression but progression can be boring.

SWTOR had the best theme-park leveling experience I've ever had in an MMO. That said, the end-game was pretty much non-existent, so I quit playing. The leveling in ArcheAge might be a bit boring, but I'm sure the sandpark will take over and we'll have plenty to do at cap.

I read everything, I commend you for writing such a splendid article.
    Also, what piques my interest the most is if one gets to keep his alpha/beta progress, since it seems like you have been working quite hard.
    It would be a shame to have to climb all the way to the top again, anyone has a clue regarding that manner?

I'm pretty sure everyone will get reset for the 4 day head start from any progress. That's generally done in most alphas and betas.

not sure,always move to another place with my group if climate changing
    anything but please dont forget for VOTE this month
    http://www.overwolf.com/VotingSystem.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadEye View Post
    SWTOR had the best theme-park leveling experience I've ever had in an MMO. That said, the end-game was pretty much non-existent, so I quit playing. The leveling in ArcheAge might be a bit boring, but I'm sure the sandpark will take over and we'll have plenty to do at cap.
    SWTOR was some of the most linear leveling progression I've ever experienced in an MMO and to me it was horrible.
    Only the personal stories held me to that game. Though not enough to run through a different character and story.

That being said ArcheAge's leveling is not too much better. It does spread things out a bit more, but there's still an obvious path that one must follow to get good gear and rewards, farms, donkey, etc etc...

With games like Everquest, there were so many different areas an adventurer could explore and do content. You weren't always stuck to some linear path and corralled into only one or two zones to do content until you out leveled it. Where were multiple zones all around Norrath where adventures could do content around a similar content range.
    That is the minimum PvE world design I'd like to see in a sandbox type game.

Preferably let's get rid of damn levels. No mob levels or character level progression. Let's just have skill ranking progression. With some content that will scale itself to make your encounter challenging yet achievable. Quests given based perhaps on you and your group's overall strength ranking, to determine the types of reward and encounter difficulty.

I appreciate all of the discussion and feedback you guys have posted. I hope it has given some insight on the game for those looking for it from a player's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Harelori View Post
    Also, what piques my interest the most is if one gets to keep his alpha/beta progress, since it seems like you have been working quite hard.
    It would be a shame to have to climb all the way to the top again, anyone has a clue regarding that manner?
    The alpha servers are going to remain as a testing server, a separate game to test updates before they are released, and the beta servers will be completely wiped. This is almost a complete standard in the testing phases of any game, and makes the 4-day head start meaningful. I would expect and hope for no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Kelvin View Post
    Preferably let's get rid of damn levels. No mob levels or character level progression. Let's just have skill ranking progression. With some content that will scale itself to make your encounter challenging yet achievable. Quests given based perhaps on you and your group's overall strength ranking, to determine the types of reward and encounter difficulty.
    I'm not completely sold on this idea. I've always believed that some kind of linear progression is necessary for any game because there needs to be something to keep the learning curve relatively reasonable.

Reading the quest narratives is a viable option up until the lvl 30+ zones. From that point on, unless the zone is at peace or you're standing next to a guard, reading the quest narratives is just asking to be ganked!

It would be nice if you could be "instanced" while talking to a quest giver, for people who enjoy the stories. Personally, I tend to skip the text anyway, but others might like this change.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast