+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Can it even pay to do trade routes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tedds View Post
    While I agree you should take the cost of labor pots into account when calculating the profit of a trade run, there is a limit to how much gold you should be spending on them a month: the price of two APEX.

For example, on my server labor pots are about 1/6th of APEX. With 12 pots, you'll get 12k labor, with 2 APEX applied to a new account, you'll get a minimum of 43k labor, plus 6k labor if you use the loyalty tokens for pots. Of course, that account doesn't have the benefits of having a pvp-ready lvl 50 or high commerce proficiency, but their labor can still be used to craft packs in safe zones, farm mats, et cetera.
    I'm an active player, i use labor pots on top of being logged in all day with patron accounts.

Well, i used to use labor pots. They're currently 34g a piece, and i'm down to 3 days supply. Might just sell it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaman View Post
    Time isn't hard to calculate actually. Use your total profit to calculate your time's value doing that activity. This is attained by the following formula: (profit/total minutes to complete)*60 = Gold per hour

If you made 18g profit off of a route that took 20 minutes to plant/pick/craftpack/run and trade in, it would look like this:

(18/20)*60=54g hour.

EDIT: I noticed I didn't address the passive labor gain.

Technically, the labor regen increases this amount at a constant rate but it is not factored in as it applies to all activities. Calculating gold per hour is mainly used to compare the profitability of different activities. Since all of these activities would have the same labor gain, it cancels out and becomes a non-factor.

For those that are wanting to know the true value though:

((profit/total minutes to complete)*60)+((Worker Comp Price / 1000)*5 or 10 [Regen amount depending on patron status])*60)=True Time Value

The one thing people keep missing here is vocation badges. You freely get the vocation badges for labor performed. If you are going to add everything up, please take these into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Finaltidus View Post
    Do trade runners look at the price their labor holds? That "profit" nets you ~3.5s per labor, you can get more than that crafting random junk to sell on the AH, and it wouldn't take near as much time. This is how most trade runs are and I just don't understand why anyone would do them.
    well not sure how the prices are on your server but anything below Magnificent actually holds a negativ value per lp spend - unless you are lucky enough to crit it up to heroic or what. And don't say "yeah, but if you are lucky" - fact is with trade packs I gain at least a bit of money while with crafting I pay in 13 out of 17 cases. With the 4 being sold with 0 profit but also 0 loss.

The only profession which gains more out of LP without depending heavily on luck is Fishing and Plant/Gather mats which are often needed.

I mean if you tell me your secret to magically gain 20s per LP - and don't come to me saying get a land plot and do some farming.

Quote Originally Posted by rodarin View Post
    Yes and at 20G (and labor pots are going up, I sold on AH for 28G this morning so 26G my take home, theyre back to 26.5G or so now) the labor for those eats away a lot of the money from them.
    Labor potions don't cut into my profits because I don't use them. I don't support the system that I disagree with (though I have bought some in the past, not any more).

Quote Originally Posted by rodarin View Post
    Looking at a chart and thinking that is the pay out is whats worng with a lot of this
    I make plenty of profits from safe zone routes, normal trade packs, aged trade packs and peace time pvp zones. I don't do trade runs if it's under 100%. Generally I do them at about 120-130%. I and most people certainly know that the trade runs are not always at 130%, so I do them at off peak times and plan other strategies to get the trade packs delivered when the value is at its best.
    Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. ― C.G. Jung

You guys are idiots....literally.

XL Games found a way to disguise a repeatable "daily quest" into the main attraction to many to get gold and you fell for it.

Go craft this, go deliver it here, collect reward. The most basic and boring quest from every other MMO and somehow on AA its a "new revelation of a sandbox", "Tradepack runs are awesome", "always something to do".

i'm under no illusion that the trade runs are simply a daily kind of quest to fulfill, but it still makes a profit for relatively little work.

I plant my crops, make the packs and deliver, all quite simple and stress free. I admit it could be more involved, but as a solo trader i dont risk an eastern crossing which is possibly more exciting.

It think they could have made it more into an event, like taking trade to a market to be sold or something on a certain day, with various markets held throughout each zone.

Aaand Workers compensation is now at 29-33G on my server, making it even more silly to do trade runs- and yes I got patron, and yes I try to stay logged in as much as possible, but not using any hacks or other stuff to make me stay online can make it a bit hard to maximize LP that way.

it's a good alternative if I don't want to farm/craft AH stuff. I can get good deals on mats on the AH if I am lucky.

And it gives me something decent to do when my rl friends are not on so I don't 'outLevel' them too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikvar View Post
    Aaand Workers compensation is now at 29-33G on my server, making it even more silly to do trade runs- and yes I got patron, and yes I try to stay logged in as much as possible, but not using any hacks or other stuff to make me stay online can make it a bit hard to maximize LP that way.
    You don't need to hack. You just crap up your inventory and shift-open a pouch or grain or anything else shift-click works on...

Are you actually telling me to do something that uses quite a lot of LP... in order to stay online so I can get LP to do trade runs?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast