+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Archeage Team post in this thread.   Thread: Pirate can't live in Golden Ruins?

1.   This is the last Archeage Team post in this thread.   #21
    Senior Producer
    There are a lot of good points, justifications and ideas here. I can't safely say that I know of a place in ArcheAge where "pirates have it easy". There are pros and cons (mostly cons) to being a criminal and that's the way it's been. I realize we're trained to herald equality but the bottom line is pirates are outcasts from society. I realize most of us killed a level 5 mount 300 times to get there but the system is designed to offer an alternative lifestyle to notorious criminals.

If I was a seed vendor and I saw a pirate coming I'd probably run the other way not discuss the benefits of barley vs. oats vs. quinoa. Diamond Shores is a bit of an oddity due to our region specific customizations but that should be considered a benefit to pirates, not a right.

I've been a pirate since launch because I prefer alternative game play and refreshing perspective. It's true that sometimes when I'm frustrated I say "what's the point?" and contemplate going green. That's when Morpheus reminds me that this is a life I choose and I'm welcome to leave at any time - that no one forced me to do it and if I don't like it I can pack up my bags and sail south. You've heard me say that before on the live stream but those are his words, not mine.

Pirate is about adjusting your play style to the mechanics - not forcing the mechanics to adapt to your play style.

-Khro

Quote Originally Posted by Neodoc View Post
    The game gets really weird with it having 1 zone entirely guard free despite the fact its by far one of the most dangerous as it contains the ayanad library.
    Just saying, but the denizens of the Library have no interest in getting out. They are there to DEFEND it, and have gone slightly mad, and rouge, over the last 2,000 years. They attack us simply because we are not part of the Library, so they simply assume we are part of Kyrios' army, as the Library was being attacked just before the Fall of Auroria. (They also have no perception of passing time, each day is the same and the only one that has passed, in their minds.)
    So guards would not be there to protect you, they would be there to prevent anything getting in. (With the exception of the Ayanad Disciples).

Also, Cheers for the clarification Khrolan, keep up the good work.
    Azaeal - Kyrios

Quote Originally Posted by Khrolan View Post
    There are a lot of good points, justifications and ideas here. I can't safely say that I know of a place in ArcheAge where "pirates have it easy". There are pros and cons (mostly cons) to being a criminal and that's the way it's been. I realize we're trained to herald equality but the bottom line is pirates are outcasts from society. I realize most of us killed a level 5 mount 300 times to get there but the system is designed to offer an alternative lifestyle to notorious criminals.

If I was a seed vendor and I saw a pirate coming I'd probably run the other way not discuss the benefits of barley vs. oats vs. quinoa. Diamond Shores is a bit of an oddity due to our region specific customizations but that should be considered a benefit to pirates, not a right.

I've been a pirate since launch because I prefer alternative game play and refreshing perspective. It's true that sometimes when I'm frustrated I say "what's the point?" and contemplate going green. That's when Morpheus reminds me that this is a life I choose and I'm welcome to leave at any time - that no one forced me to do it and if I don't like it I can pack up my bags and sail south. You've heard me say that before on the live stream but those are his words, not mine.

Pirate is about adjusting your play style to the mechanics - not forcing the mechanics to adapt to your play style.

-Khro
    Why was the ability for pirates to attack during peace times on the southern continents taken out? That gave us a great risk/reward option but as of now, it's just risk. As a pirate on Kyrios we still go to the mainlands all the time (we stole the Halcyona flag last night), but would be really nice to be able to do so with a chance of reward.

-Khro
    now if only you'd post this in every other QQ pirates nerfed topics

really well worded

+1 khrolan
    -Khro

-Khro
    That's a pity your staff has taken that perspective of pirate.
    Talking about it in game sense, it COULD be easily used as a mechanic to offer MEANINGFUL alternative gameplay. The decision to make pirate a quasi-punishment is not a characteristic of pirate, but rather a characteristic of your perception of pirate. Why not return it to high-risk high reward rather than what it is now, high-risk, lots of work, no special return.

If we step out of the 'lore' of being a pirate, you could use it to easily add additional content to the game for all players and extend the play time of select players. On our server, until my entire guild went pirate together, pirate was pretty much just the place people went before they quit the game. You could easily extend the lifespan of a chunk of your audience you effectively just lose.

Just remember, you guys are the developers here - it sort of saddens me when the best justification for being a pirate that a developer can give is effectively RP.

You are wrong Khrolan.

You cannot expect a legit faction of the game to progress or even exist without being able to cash in the loot.

Piracy is all about the loot no?

P.S. (To RP it just for you)

If i was a trader ... i wouldn't try to find the person who made the pack to send him a percentage of the pack he made....

if not legit traders then ok.... but smugglers ( or other receivers of stolen goods) that would pay for our packs should be there .... either on remote islands or somewhere
    <T O R T U G A> 's unofficial self - proclaimed forum warrior

all the pirate whiners sound like they just want their own faction instead of dealing with the negatives of being a pirate, i wish we had nations too

pirate has consequences, growlgate already has too many guards all over the island for being a "pvp" faction
    rawrz
    <Forestcrow>
    autism levels not found in nature, please preserve for science

Quote Originally Posted by Enklaz View Post
    all the pirate whiners sound like they just want their own faction instead of dealing with the negatives of being a pirate, i wish we had nations too

pirate has consequences, growlgate already has too many guards all over the island for being a "pvp" faction
    Lol - you're right. It has 6 pirates around the crafting area who really aren't much of gaurds. Our server has two decent sized pirate guilds and all we do is kill each other in growlgate. The gaurds are not far from useless.

In either case, this can be broken down simply by saying this. Pirate should be for those who want high-risk and enjoy pvp. The problem is that going pirate removes you from a large portion of progression within the game. In order to progress a reasonable amount, it takes disproportionately larger amounts of effort. Pirate has potential to create a lot of content in a player driven sandbox game. It could dramatically improve the variety within your audience and it could drive greater player interactions (admittedly through fighting.)

All you have to do is add some reasonable progression to pirates... The things that already existed in Korea and could be easily added here.

why my account is banned, i was looking for gold to smarten myself char
    why my account is banned, i do not sell gold, i also took gold, i want to be like them, could join that raid with good equipment,

what i should not be, if as it

TRIONS not fair as GAME MASTER

I want my char in restore

i am very disappointed with your treatment

Quote Originally Posted by ResurioxZ View Post
    1. Pirates are able to attack in all peace times ( dont mistaken peace with safezone) Peace was never intended to be 100% safe for traderuns. IT is inteneded to be a way smaller risk. Because nobody from east or west could attack you but only pirates could and if they die they end up jail 48 minuts.
    2. Pirates had there own gold trader on growlgate that had some great gold values and also a fishtand

[...]

BUT what i totally dont understand why trion removed the ability for pirates to attack in peace time this was such and important part of the game . Because people can make ♥♥♥♥ton of gold by doing peace runs with 0 risk. And alos it would fix the problem with blocking in peace zones since pirates would jsut destroy the carts.

IF u hover your mouse over the peace zone icon it still says " Cant attack or cant be attacked from other players with exeption of pirates".
    This actually makes a LOT of sense. It explains why tradecart blocking was a non-issue until the EU/NA version came about. It also explains why the majority of "piracy" we see going on is green-on-green; there's simply no game mechanic advantage to go "full pirate".

But there should be. I agree. Our economy is hyper inflating because greens and reds (regardless of which side you're on) are hauling tradeship after tradeship out of Halcyona during the 8+ hour peace time window. And there is little to no contest; as factions (in general) tend to frown upon green piracy and well.. there's just no point. You can easily just sail tradeships across yourself, noone is going to stop you.

Most definitely, pirates should be allowed to attack during peace times (in zones that cycle through phases; I'm not talking about Solzreed, Solis and so on). Even in terms of lore, this makes sense. The peace time has to be a negotiated cease-fire between east and west - but pirates are loyal to neither and don't follow such agreements.

Increased trade pack value at Growl also makes sense. It's a looong sail up there, and sea piracy is hard enough already.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast