+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Criminal Justice System

I was curious about the details of the Justice System so thank you for the in depth first post and youtube links!

Unsurprisingly, most the youtube vids out there are PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by xDrac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Razgrim View Post
    My Korean friend told me that the criminal justice system is unfortunately abused. The jury isn't screened or anything, so what happens is jury just votes with their bias. If you're an opposing faction or guild, you're guilty. If you're neutral, you're guilty unless you pay off the jury. If you're a member of the same or an allied guild to the jury, you're innocent. The largest super guild pretty much ends up owning the justice system. Real simple.

Of course, that's how it ends up working in Korea, where these games are more serious than professional sports. I donno if that kind of community is going to carry over, my mind says unlikely. Especially if the guild member limit is imposed.

Honestly, I can definitely see something similar happen on Trions version of the game. :/
    In a strange way, isn't that kinda what we have in the real world as well

Quote Originally Posted by Razgrim View Post
    My Korean friend told me that the criminal justice system is unfortunately abused. The jury isn't screened or anything, so what happens is jury just votes with their bias. If you're an opposing faction or guild, you're guilty. If you're neutral, you're guilty unless you pay off the jury. If you're a member of the same or an allied guild to the jury, you're innocent. The largest super guild pretty much ends up owning the justice system. Real simple.

Of course, that's how it ends up working in Korea, where these games are more serious than professional sports. I donno if that kind of community is going to carry over, my mind says unlikely. Especially if the guild member limit is imposed.
    Sounds like what the Mob used to do. The new Sandbox feature - extortion and bribery.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Its actual system. He also did not mention Sheriff system, that is present in Korea but disabled in Russia atm. Likely will be disabled in Trion as well because of possibilities of abuse.
    Oh yea I forgot about the Sheriff system

You can file a complaint against that player(Only one complaint per account). Once the complaint is filled against the accused player, he or she will receive at 25% debuff. If the accused player receives 5 complaints then he or she will receive a 50% debuff. At 50% debuff a warrant for arrest will be issued for the accused player. A GM or a community sheriff (players who sign up to be a GM, when a GM is not around) can arrest that player.

After being arrested the GM or Sheriff can integrate that player. The player can then decide if he or she will want to go to trail or be placed in prison. If the player decides to go to trail, then normal Trail system takes place.

If a player receives complaints continually, then the GM will brand the player a (Black Sheep) and may get karma points. They may even get suspended or banned from the game.

**If the player in question believes he or she has been falsely accused, they can go to the nearest npc guard to clear their name, and a GM or Sheriff will be summoned to hear them out and clear their name. If you do not go to a npc guard, the GM or Sheriff will think your are guilty.

***But this has been disabled on the Rus version, due to the fact anyone can accuse anyone, and exploit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketec View Post
    There better be something else to it. From a pve player standpoint:
    You get ganked/PK-d and lose your goods. Or get stuff stolen from farm and house. You lost, you are worse then before, no compensation.

PVP player:
    You get... karma. You get loot and items and you keep them. You do a quest to get rid of karma or afk in prison. Profit.

If you get punished in court, you should be forced to compensate the people you killed/ stole from. Like paying them money, equal value items etc. The risk of losing items should go both ways.
    Real risk within the world should be left there. I don't believe that at any point any character should feel secure about their items. Makes the game much more intense.

I also believe you can revert your conversion to being a pirate and go back to being a "normal" citizen of your faction.

The Jury System is quite awesome, now we need to Bounty System from Korea (which isn't active right now)

Guys that participated a lot in the Jury was able to get Bounty Hunter, but the System dropped 0(

I think the jury system CAN be abused. But here's my opinion on it:

1) One person said the jury just goes:"oh he's guilty because there's no other way for him to be here, right?". Because if you commit a crime, or kill someone...there's a blood / footprint trail left by you and it 100% is always spawned when you commit an act. That or you're falsely accused of a crime through the complaint system.

My Quip:

In real life you can be accused AND sentenced to a crime you didn't even commit. Say they accuse you of a murder in LA and you live in Orlando, Florida and have never been to LA. You CAN be sentenced to jail for that crime. It's happened before to innocent people.

Also, You can be assumed guilty by a REAL jury of your peers just because you ARE in fact in the court room sitting next to a defense lawyer. They've done studies and tests it's a real statistic. You are perceived guilty just for the sole reason you are being accused in a court of law.

2) If you're an ally/enemy guild member of a single or multiple jury members you're either instantly guilty or just instantly innocent whether or not you committed the crime.

My Quip:

Why not make it impossible to see the name of the player? Whether scrolling over him/her or when seeing what they have been accused of? It's really easy to do this and eliminates the ability to determine whether they are in an enemy faction or ally faction member.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketec View Post
    There better be something else to it. From a pve player standpoint:
    You get ganked/PK-d and lose your goods. Or get stuff stolen from farm and house. You lost, you are worse then before, no compensation.

PVP player:
    You get... karma. You get loot and items and you keep them. You do a quest to get rid of karma or afk in prison. Profit.

If you get punished in court, you should be forced to compensate the people you killed/ stole from. Like paying them money, equal value items etc. The risk of losing items should go both ways.
    This is kinda how it is in real life. I mean not so short on the time span of jail but if you didn't do something super heinous and get probation for say stealing things. The court really doesn't force the criminal to pay back what he stole. At least...not ALL the time. It's actually very rare that it happens.

What if the criminal can't pay it back. Say they need to pay 10 silver but have 1 silver? Using negatives in programming isn't a good idea (for the most part) so it's gonna be a pain to keep track of negatives and do checks to see if the player doesn't have a negative and so on. Not to mention someone could create a second account with no money, steal from themselves, purposely get caught on 2nd account, then get paid by their second account. Infinite money gain / abuse of the game.

I'm gonna be the Pirate King.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast