+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Character naming

Character naming

just wanted to put this out there,

I got a bit disappointed when I made my first character to see that I can not use a first and last name but am forced to use only one word and even than you are not allowed to use a second capital to split it up that way

most games nowadays allow for 2 or more parts names to be used, I do understand that a space in programing can be hard, but than allow the use of "_" or "-" to split up names, but even better use a system were you can enter a first and last name (and if you omit one it just stays blank), than the rewrite of the code should not be such a big work, as far as I understand programming that is.

also a little thing I have encounter like 2 times is in the text you get from NPC's/quests I saw not my name but "Name(0)" so I guess there is a bit of polishing left as well.

In a live stream they address this issue. The naming in place in on purpose and they will not be changing it.

I can see this being a problem in the long run. There is a (creativity gets more) limit of good-sounding one-word names, after all.

Expect plenty of Xxxgandalfxxx and other gibberish!
    Adventurer - Murderous raider with delusions of grandeur

Yeah, it would have been a nice feature, shame it isn't like that in AA though.

There are pros and cons to both sides.

As Nibor Nightshade stated, a lot of creativity and uniqueness is taken out of the system by not allowing players to have last names, or even use apostrophes and capitals in their names.

But for anyone that has played FF14, mandatory last names are absolutely hell when you're trying to do whispers or invite commands.

In my opinion, EQ2 had the best system. Characters are created with only one name, but you can give yourself a last name that works like a custom suffix title.

Guild Wars 2 also has an interesting mechanic in that aspect. You can use one word, but you also can use space button, so you can get a second name, or as many as you want till they reach the limit.

At the same time, players have their account names that can be used instead when typing to whisper etc.
    Adventurer - Murderous raider with delusions of grandeur

+ Reply to Thread