+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing Concern

Fishing Concern

So I am in alpha and finally got enough gold to test my hand at fishing. I bought a bunch of worms and decided to try out fishing off the shore. It was pretty cool getting a lot of fish and I assumed I needed to do this before trying to sport fish as I needed to make the chum/chopped whatever to make the sport fish go into a frenzy.

After using about 500 worms I went to try to figure out how to make the chum and then I discovered it can only be bought using vocation badges. My concern is the amount of vocation badges required to chum a school of fish - I believe the marlin chum is 3200 vocation badges which is a ton considering I also have to use vocation badges to buy lures.

Are they going to allow you to craft your own chum as it seems really difficult to go fishing more than once or twice a week giving the amount of vocation badges required. It also seems weird as fishing off the shore only nets you fish that have no real use other than vendoring them.

Quote Originally Posted by Isante View Post
    So I am in alpha and finally got enough gold to test my hand at fishing. I bought a bunch of worms and decided to try out fishing off the shore. It was pretty cool getting a lot of fish and I assumed I needed to do this before trying to sport fish as I needed to make the chum/chopped whatever to make the sport fish go into a frenzy.

After using about 500 worms I went to try to figure out how to make the chum and then I discovered it can only be bought using vocation badges. My concern is the amount of vocation badges required to chum a school of fish - I believe the marlin chum is 3200 vocation badges which is a ton considering I also have to use vocation badges to buy lures.

Are they going to allow you to craft your own chum as it seems really difficult to go fishing more than once or twice a week giving the amount of vocation badges required. It also seems weird as fishing off the shore only nets you fish that have no real use other than vendoring them.
    Climate Change

Dont you use the fish you catch to make chum?
    Saying you will not play a game because it's taking too long to launch is like saying you wont marry a super model because she is making you wait until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefdano View Post
    Dont you use the fish you catch to make chum?
    Not anymore apparently. Pre 1.2 you used to be able to fish off the shore to catch the fish required to make chum, however the only way I can see now that you can get chum is to use vocation badges or buy it off the AH. They removed the option to craft your own chum for some unknown reason.

They removed the option to craft your own chum from cheap mats because it was far too easy to make a lot of money off of sport fishing. In a way, it was gamebreaking. Right now it's SOMEWHAT balanced in that any labor point you spend is converted to vocation badgers; which in turn you can turn into chum which in theory can yield you a large fish worth 50-60g, or more, assuming you don't fail at the sport fishing minigame.

Before this patch, fishing was the be all, end all moneymaking option, surpassing every other method. Right now it's balanced.

Explain how vocational badges and chum work

Im not in alpha
    Saying you will not play a game because it's taking too long to launch is like saying you wont marry a super model because she is making you wait until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvint View Post
    They removed the option to craft your own chum from cheap mats because it was far too easy to make a lot of money off of sport fishing. In a way, it was gamebreaking. Right now it's SOMEWHAT balanced in that any labor point you spend is converted to vocation badgers; which in turn you can turn into chum which in theory can yield you a large fish worth 50-60g, or more, assuming you don't fail at the sport fishing minigame.
    My problem with the system is that it isn't even close to a 'break even' system. If you drop 3500 vocation badges on chum and lures and go out with a fishing boat and fill it up you would get something like, 700 vocation badges back? At some point you are going to have to do other things to grind up vocation badges just to go fishing which seems wrong to me.

In regards to fishing being gamebreaking - they lowered the gold rewarded from the fish so it isn't an insane money maker like before - however nerfing the chum to vocation badges just seems like an over nerf reaction.

Im not in alpha

Whenever you do any gathering type quest - fishing, gathering plants/trees etc you get vocation badges. You can buy items with vocation badges from the Blue Salt traders.

So lets say you want to go fishing for some tuna. First you need to go find the trader to buy your lures - also using vocation badges but they are fairly cheap - and also buy the correct chum for that type of fish. Once you have this you need to find the correct school of fish then you can chum and start fishing.

For example, I have been in alpha for somewhere around 10 days. I finally wanted to start fishing and after doing offshore I wanted to try sport fishing. I went to craft chum - discovered I couldn't so I went and bought some. I bought some Tuna chum for something like 1500 vocation badges out of my 6,000. So I was down 25% of my badges for just an attempt to fish. I did catch a tuna and take it in and see the value of the fishing boat now so you can load it up rather than just one at a time, however you wont be able to keep up with the vocation badges especially when the marlin chum is 3,200 badges a pop and the better lures are 200 badges each.

Im not in alpha

Straight from the game. I'm not sure what is the exact conversion rate between crafting points that you get, and vocation badges.

You can spend the vocation badges at blue salt vendors.

Colleague Isante has explained how the Chum works in relation to the voc. badges.

Also @Isante, regarding possible overnerf of the chum - possibly! I think it was just a rapid response to the KR and RU veterans who knew already that sport fishing using cheap materials could equal massive amounts of gold (which it did, as per the Oran Thul leader showcase awhile ago). Not to mention, the version of the game we had during alpha before June? I think was equal to KR patch from January 2013. Veeery outdated.

Ahh Thanks

That sounds like a pita

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast