+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ArcheAge 2.9 patch caused us to quit

ArcheAge 2.9 patch caused us to quit

This is my first post in the forums. I feel compelled to make a statement. A solid group of friends started playing this game at launch. Most of my friends made it to end game and got really geared out, while I remained pretty casual.

I fell behind on the gear curve and took a beating on the first round of class nerfs to archery. I stopped playing the game seriously after that. I still played but fell way behind, and was really only able to play effectively when my friends were online. I guess that is what is meant by "social savvy."

The 2.9 changes had no direct impact on me, but it did to my friends who invested a considerable amount of time and effort into getting epic and legendary short spears and katana's. When I logged into play they were no where to be seen for several days after the patch hit.

I had to make some real life phone calls to find out they quit the game for good. I told them I still played the game after the archery nerf. And they brought up an interesting point.

The strength and uniqueness of ArchAge is that you can easily swap out skill sets. A nerf to a skill like mudhand or endless arrows is not a big deal, you can adapt. But when you put in hundreds of real dollars, and endless hours to obtain your end game weapon you feel like you own it. Its the pride and joy of your game experience.

Changing the game mechanics is different than nerfing an existing weapon. The amount of real dollars and real effort is exponentially higher to get the weapon than it is to slot the skill. I suggested a new weapon and the answer was this. It took them so much time just to get their current weapon and it made all the difference in their ability to keep up. Now they are afraid that what ever weapon they invest in next will also get nerfed. The trust they had in the game for getting and keeping good gear is gone.

I'm toast, as a low ranking archer that depended on my group to stay alive I have been double nerfed. Anyway I thought it important enough to make a post. I'm sure the producers will be scratching their heads as to why there was a sharp decline in the player population after releasing patch 2.9. I don't have the ability to keep up or gear up now that my buddies quit.

Best of luck to everyone else. ArcheAge is really a great game. I think the only Achilles heel is the crazy gear (above divine) and the ridiculous amount of time and money it takes to get it. When you nerf something that took such great effort you just took all the wind out of the players who made the effort. Whats the point of all that hard work? Why in the world would you continue to work that hard all over again for something else after you just got robbed?

ok they dont have t7 yet for that not possible. its only 5% nerf so far so they still hade option to sell it at t7 and get club and scepter for that what i kinda get there classes is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanfordsword View Post
    Now they are afraid that what ever weapon they invest in next will also get nerfed.
    They're absolutely correct. Whatever weapon they invest in next will also get nerfed or otherwise be rendered obsolete. Don't ever think you're "done" in an MMO. It's the game company's goal, hell it's their job, to keep players on the treadmill. These games are pie eating contests where the reward is more pie. Eventually people get tired of the particular treadmill they're on and move on to another game with a different treadmill. That's what's happening with your friends.
    Dark Covenant

If they're quitting over a 5% nerf then they're babies.

Shortspear is STILL too strong. There's absolutely no reason for it to have FULL MELEE strength and the healing capability it does.

QQ more.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat View Post
    ok they dont have t7 yet for that not possible. its only 5% nerf so far so they still hade option to sell it at t7 and get club and scepter for that what i kinda get there classes is.
    It's quite a bit worse than it sounds. Staff got buffed in several ways, getting a magic version of the spear penetration innate, higher penetration, and some useful new effects. Meanwhile, Katana just got nerfed, and the T7 version is just the horrible v2 effect if you want cast time (can't even get fear resist -- that is tied to attack speed only). So yeah, staff gets penetration effect (maybe +3% to DPS) + 5% multiplier + 10% base weapon DPS + innate penetration (up to 10% more damage, realistically more like ~4%) + useful innate. If all that sounds huge, it is. T7 Katana + T7 Dagger is expensive and basically worthless since T7 stretches out a good 10-15% DPS lead. Scepter + Dagger works out a fair chunk of that, but it's hard to quantify exactly how much-- or rather, I'm just too lazy to do it right now.

Better still, the builds which might have used that were mediocre before and nerfed further now, so there are like a half dozen viable classes left who would even use them. Shadowblade, Hexblade, Doomlord, maybe a Bloodreaver or Executioner if there are more than 2 people who play the class. I knew this was coming 6 months ago. I did tell people about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sillyfish View Post
    If they're quitting over a 5% nerf then they're babies.

Shortspear is STILL too strong. There's absolutely no reason for it to have FULL MELEE strength and the healing capability it does.

QQ more.
    That's because they goofed up the healing power formula entirely. A 5% reduction won't change that. Magic damage doesn't have that benefit.
    Level 55 Retired Theorycrafter / Mathemagician / Forum Warrior / Boundless Fountain of Rage
    Some starter suggestions on improving ArcheAge.
    <!-- Do not remove cronimage or your scheduled tasks will cease to function -->
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchegeDown View Post
    count until 10....

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemako View Post
    It's quite a bit worse than it sounds. Staff got buffed in several ways, getting a magic version of the spear penetration innate, higher penetration, and some useful new effects. Meanwhile, Katana just got nerfed, and the T7 version is just the horrible v2 effect if you want cast time (can't even get fear resist -- that is tied to attack speed only). So yeah, staff gets penetration effect (maybe +3% to DPS) + 5% multiplier + 10% base weapon DPS + innate penetration (up to 10% more damage, realistically more like ~4%) + useful innate. If all that sounds huge, it is. T7 Katana + T7 Dagger is expensive and basically worthless since T7 stretches out a good 10-15% DPS lead. Scepter + Dagger works out a fair chunk of that, but it's hard to quantify exactly how much-- or rather, I'm just too lazy to do it right now.

Better still, the builds which might have used that were mediocre before and nerfed further now, so there are like a half dozen viable classes left who would even use them. Shadowblade, Hexblade, Doomlord, maybe a Bloodreaver or Executioner if there are more than 2 people who play the class. I knew this was coming 6 months ago. I did tell people about it.

That's because they goofed up the healing power formula entirely. A 5% reduction won't change that. Magic damage doesn't have that benefit.
    This is spot on. Also, the 5% nerf would be a lot easier to handle if (1) the katana equip effect wasnt so worthless and (2) metal-one hander players could have a fair chance of getting the boss mats compared to wooden weapons

We have known about this nerf for over 6 months now, if you went ahead and bought it anyways expecting the nerf to never come, that is your own fault. There is a reason that clubs/scepters have reduced melee stats to compensate for a magic/healing power. On the obsidian gear, these stats are simply reversed rather than having full melee and full magic/healing, which is completely understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanfordsword View Post
    Best of luck to everyone else. ArcheAge is really a great game. I think the only Achilles heel is the crazy gear (above divine) and the ridiculous amount of time and money it takes to get it. When you nerf something that took such great effort you just took all the wind out of the players who made the effort. Whats the point of all that hard work? Why in the world would you continue to work that hard all over again for something else after you just got robbed?
    Because let's be honest, people who continue to play MMOs don't keep playing because they reach all of their goals, that's why they stop playing. That's why in single-player games, once a player has finished everything, they move onto a new game or just come back once in a while.

In other games, you'll have people spending time trying to clear a level or a campaign and when they fail and have to start over, it frustrates them. Some people keep going, some people don't. But most gamers know that the next stage will just be more difficult, they're steeled for that because in a single-player game, it eventually ends. But an MMO can't afford to end because an MMO needs a playerbase at all times to function. And that's something you either learn to accept in exchange for the benefits of playing with no end, or you just give up.

Anyways, best of luck to them and you on your next game. Hopefully, you guys find something that better meets your expectations.

2.9 is making me want to quit the game so bad right now
    But I kinda don't want to because I have so much land and spent so much money on a game I now hate playing but still love the game

Quote Originally Posted by Raiin View Post
    We have known about this nerf for over 6 months now, if you went ahead and bought it anyways expecting the nerf to never come, that is your own fault. There is a reason that clubs/scepters have reduced melee stats to compensate for a magic/healing power. On the obsidian gear, these stats are simply reversed rather than having full melee and full magic/healing, which is completely understandable.
    How could we have known lmao? Yeye continue to agree with trion maybe it'll boost ur rng luck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast