+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Suggestion] "Bound to Character" vs. "Bound to Account"

Lightbulb [Suggestion] "Bound to Character" vs. "Bound to Account"

Dear Trion Team,
    dear community,

with the upcoming 3.0 patch and the included new races in mind, i thought a lot about bound equipment. Although almost everybody i play with will try out Warborns (or Dwarfs resp.), nobody will be in the mood to completely start a fresh character, since obsidian etc. are bound to their main chars. This does also and especially apply to gathered costumes and mounts!

Suggestion:
    Please implement a possibility to transfer bound items from one character to another, if and only if both chars are on the same account! To do this, i came up with a few methods you may want to consider:

Preamble:
    I do understand the idea behind bound gear and the dangers that come with my suggestion. Therefore i'd like to make clear that all kind of event-token (e.g. Ascension Crystals) will need to be excluded from my suggested system, to prevent people from farming them with new chars in ridiculously high numbers.

1) Dimensional Storage-Chest
    These storage chests are currently only accessable by the house's owner. Simply alter the chest's script to check for account id instead of character id and you are ready to go.
    2) Additional NPC
    Add a new npc next to the warehouse manager. I don't know anything about your database structure, but you should easily be able to copy the warehouse table and the warehouse manager's script, edit the script the same way i suggested to edit the dimensional storage-chest script, and it works.
    Disadvantage here is the additional work to design the npc and place them on the map.
    3) New storage chest(s)
    If you'd like to make some $$$ out of this, add a new type of storage chest to your marked place that allows the player to access it from all characters on an account. Same procedure as the NPC i suggested above. Copy the item and it's recipe, edit it's script, done.
    Since we all know that people would complain about this being pay-to-win, simply add a recipe for a 2nd chest that does exactly the same. Maybe give it a higher cooldown to reuse it. That way you'd still make a decent amount of money from all people that are ether lazy or want to exchange items more often/frequently.

I really hope that you consider this thread. It would be a shame to have to start a completely new char without having the ability to use my current gear. Especially my costumes and mounts, which i invested a lot of time/gold in!

If you have any additional questions regarding this topic, don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards
    Cyntho

Quote Originally Posted by Cyntho View Post
    Dear Trion Team,
    dear community,

with the upcoming 3.0 patch and the included new races in mind, i thought a lot about bound equipment. Although almost everybody i play with will try out Warborns (or Dwarfs resp.), nobody will be in the mood to completely start a fresh character, since obsidian etc. are bound to their main chars. This does also and especially apply to gathered costumes and mounts!

Suggestion:
    Please implement a possibility to transfer bound items from one character to another, if and only if both chars are on the same account! To do this, i came up with a few methods you may want to consider:

Preamble:
    I do understand the idea behind bound gear and the dangers that come with my suggestion. Therefore i'd like to make clear that all kind of event-token (e.g. Ascension Crystals) will need to be excluded from my suggested system, to prevent people from farming them with new chars in ridiculously high numbers.

1) Dimensional Storage-Chest
    These storage chests are currently only accessable by the house's owner. Simply alter the chest's script to check for account id instead of character id and you are ready to go.
    2) Additional NPC
    Add a new npc next to the warehouse manager. I don't know anything about your database structure, but you should easily be able to copy the warehouse table and the warehouse manager's script, edit the script the same way i suggested to edit the dimensional storage-chest script, and it works.
    Disadvantage here is the additional work to design the npc and place them on the map.
    3) New storage chest(s)
    If you'd like to make some $$$ out of this, add a new type of storage chest to your marked place that allows the player to access it from all characters on an account. Same procedure as the NPC i suggested above. Copy the item and it's recipe, edit it's script, done.
    Since we all know that people would complain about this being pay-to-win, simply add a recipe for a 2nd chest that does exactly the same. Maybe give it a higher cooldown to reuse it. That way you'd still make a decent amount of money from all people that are ether lazy or want to exchange items more often/frequently.

I really hope that you consider this thread. It would be a shame to have to start a completely new char without having the ability to use my current gear. Especially my costumes and mounts, which i invested a lot of time/gold in!

If you have any additional questions regarding this topic, don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards
    Cyntho
    I completely agree they should add a way to account bind gear rather than character bind. As much as I would like to purchase another character slot and level a warborn when 3.0 Is released. There is no ♥♥♥♥ing way in hell I would even consider trying to gear a new character from scratch, so I just won't do it unless they do implement a way to trade bound gear between characters on the same account.

I agree with this, it would be the easiest way to transfer gear to a new race once they come out in 3.0 if XL isnt going to implement a separate system.
    Wearer of Metal
    WORLD CHAMPS
    "Disaster is Better than NaCl" - Aramos
    "Celia is the best player in Archeage history" - Celia
    "Plz don't kill me Celia" - Murdered innocent

I agree with the idea of making "Bound to character" items into "Bound to Account" instead. At this point in the game's life, most people are already heavily invested in gears, specifically, Obsidian gears which are already bound. There's just no sense in trying out the new race and have to re-gear it from scratch when you have already invested a lot of time and gold/money on your existing character.

Most games already have this feature. Even a shared warehouse/storage for all characters within the same account.

I agree that some character bound items should be account bound.

Things that should be account bound:

1. Pets from Archeum packs/promotional sales in the marketplace. Many times the packs you have to buy are cost prohibitive to simply fork over another fee for a new character.

2. Any vanity item such as outfits and image items (Not costumes with stats.) There is no reason that my Pirate Yata image item can't be transferred among the characters in my account.

3. Mats dropped by regular mobs. Anything currently character bound and picked up by farming mobs should be account bound. This includes the hundreds of unused currently bound mats from Auroria and Diamond Shores.

4. Bound Tax Certificates - I made them, I should be able to transfer them to an alt on the same account. It does not affect my labor pool to do so.

5. Furniture - All furniture, including the pools from the archeum pack and anything bought on the market should automatically be account bound. This also includes Christmas decorations, and any other seasonal "stuff." In fact, all furniture and decorations shouldn't be bound at all. They should be public (for lack of better word.)

Things that should remain character bound:

1. Gliders - There are in-game means to get a decent usable glider.

2. Costumes with stats. - I am on the fence with this one... I finally decided to keep them character bound because it is relatively easy to get basic costumes. If it were something that you had to go through endless grinding to get, I would say bound it to the account, not the character.

3. Armor above Celestial grade. Go ahead and transfer that obsidian/delphinad armor up to celestial grade. Once it goes divine, it's "stuck on you." This would give the new character a decent set of starter armor without making them so OP they're out of their league.

4. Mats dropped by bosses and world bosses. These should remain "special."

5. Mounts - Since the wrapped versions exist now, there is no reason to make them account bound. Had we not had a way to buy and sell them it would have been different.

In summary, there are some things that simply shouldn't be character bound, but others that kind of need to stay character bound. While I like the idea of giving your new character a leg-up, I don't like the idea that you could deck him/her out without any effort. You chose to roll a new character, it should be able to be your "main" inside of the 30 minutes it takes to transfer everything.
    Is anyone else sad to know that people will rant and rave about being banned when they know damn good and well they broke the rules? Sadder still is the energy consumption and the lengths they will go to so they can continue to break them... and the threads they post when they finally get caught.

I have always hated the character binding of items, and honestly never understood it.
    I come from a game (not sure if I'm allowed to mention it) that didn't use this at all, had a fully player driven economy, and it was great. Found new gear? Sell your old stuff. Need money for new gear after spending a ton in your old set? Sell it for a good price. It opened up lots of possibilities, both for people selling this gear, as well as the less wealthy getting a chance to buy something decent.

But I'm going astray here, sorry about that. Considering we have to deal with bound stuff, I vote for account bound rather than character bound too (with the exception of coins/tokens earned on a specific character). Definitely for gear, mounts, pets, costumes, special house deco.

Your option (1) to make the Otherworld Storage Chest a chest for all characters on same account seems a great option, though only people with Patron, land, en this chest, would benefit it.
    Option (2) seems the best one to me. No new warehouse NPC is needed, just add a second option to the regular warehouse NPC to open an account storage. Or if possible, stick to 1 option that opens warehouse window split in 2 parts (personal and account storage) so moving around stuff gets even easier.

#1. Change character bound to account bound on EVERYTHING.
    #2. Add 10 slot row of BANK slots that are SHARED between all characters on that account.
    #3. Give a FREE char slot on the release of 3.0 so we can play the new race.

+bump this
    Support this thread

Refugee Survivor from Nazar - Refugee Survivor from Lucius
    I'm in total agreement in making items account bound! Being able to pass bound armor , tax certs, and even scarecrows (crows get passed from one alt to another anyway, it just simply would be nice not to have to purchase the titles to pass the crow to myself lol). An account bound otherworld chest to pass items would be awesome too. Someone mentioned in an earlier post about a shared bank. Awesome idea! Five to Ten slots would be enough. Instead of calling it the Warehouse...call the shared space "The Shed" lol

+ Reply to Thread