+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 LastLast

Thread: Here's why server merges help casual players more than they think and stabilizes the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Empyreus View Post
    But you would also have a large contingent of people who would lose chests full of items in a merge thus people would be having fire sales before said merge, driving prices on everything downt ot he point of unsustainability and then after merge since there is less land to be had alla round, prices would then go up to higher than they were before.

Not to mention you have people that would quit, thus less people to buy products rising prices as well and so on.

As it is, there hasn't been any appreciable "inflation" in this game for a while due to the fact that recent events trion has been putting out have removed quite a bit of gold from the game as well. So i dont know why people are worried about that, the only thing that has caused prices on most things to rise at all lately has been changes tow hats needed to make certain things.

For instance things like MGP going up because its needed to make sunridge and sunridge is needed for higher end weapons now etc etc, outside of that prices for almost everything in game have been very stable for a while now, inflation or not. The biggest thing a new player would really be concerned with is Apex and thats beens table on US servers between 600-700 for a few months now. A server merge, i highly doubt, would drive the prices on that much cheaper. if anything if people quit, there'd be LESS people buying it, thus the price would go up.

but again none of that has anything to do with attracting new players. Its not like gold is hard to make now and would suddenly become easier with less servers. A fresh start server would more readily attract a "new" player than an upcoming merge would.

and if inflation WAS a big deal, without even needing to kill servers, the devs could just reduce the payout of things like DGS, etc etc and not have to ruin economies and peoples playstyle by having a merger in the first place. Lets not forget they talked about inflation a few livestreams ago and said the recent events effectively leveled everything out.

But as i said before, mergers are and should be the LAST option to "fix" a problem. They are in no way a "quick easy" fix to anything. We've already seen it once, so i dont know why things would be suddenly different if we did it again another year in.
    So first off the event Trion put in didn't change much heck it may have made it worse. Sure the regrade event gave people incentives to use gold but guess what the castaway strait event put more gold into the economy then what was taken out. The land barons you are talking about that will lose chests of stuff can just put it on one of their many alts. People shouldn't have so much land that they need multiple alts to keep taxes down. The only suggestion you have made is to reduce the overall income of all gold making methods this will do nothing in the whole it will just be the same situation just reflected on a smaller scale there will still be inflation because the free farm servers will be making more gold than non free farm servers.

I've played this game on multiple servers as a solo player and I can say one thing for certain in one month on a low pop server I have made more progress and gold than I did in 6 months of a higher population server. I can see how people can take advantage of this and never want it to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaque View Post
    So first off the event Trion put in didn't change much heck it may have made it worse. Sure the regrade event gave people incentives to use gold but guess what the castaway strait event put more gold into the economy then what was taken out. The land barons you are talking about that will lose chests of stuff can just put it on one of their many alts. People shouldn't have so much land that they need multiple alts to keep taxes down. The only suggestion you have made is to reduce the overall income of all gold making methods this will do nothing in the whole it will just be the same situation just reflected on a smaller scale there will still be inflation because the free farm servers will be making more gold than non free farm servers.
    except for the fact that Khrolan SAID the event removed more gold than the castaway one brought in and was entirely in line with their expectations but.... sure go with gut instead of what a dev says. Now i know popular consensus is to not trust the devs but on that end if they say that the regrade event removed more gold from the economy than came in, i'm inclined to believe them.

But see my suggestiont o lower the gold amount of things like DGS would have immediate impact. Who is to say there wont be free farm if they reduce the number of servers? Again merger talk should be the LAST ditch effort and not the first one suggested when it comes to balancing the economy of a game. Because it is in no way proven that a merger of servers would FIX any of said problems brought up in the long term.

Whether it be because people hope it would bring more PVP, etc, there is no way to prove that merging servers and creating a uproar in the community that doesnt pvp 24/7 and/or transfer servers every month, would help things in the long run, because lord knows the last merger wasn't exactly a super success. As i've said you have to remember more people play the game than show up at events or contest things like DGS/Kraken/RD. You cant base all your server pop talk just off of those.

except for the fact that Khrolan SAID the event removed more gold than the castaway one brought in and was entirely in line with their expectations but.... sure go with gut instead of what a dev says. Now i know popular consensus is to not trust the devs but on that end if they say that the regrade event removed more gold from the economy than came in, i'm inclined to believe them.

But see my suggestiont o lower the gold amount of things like DGS would have immediate impact. Who is to say there wont be free farm if they reduce the number of servers? Again merger talk should be the LAST ditch effort and not the first one suggested when it comes to balancing the economy of a game. Because it is in no way proven that a merger of servers would FIX any of said problems brought up in the long term.

Whether it be because people hope it would bring more PVP, etc, there is no way to prove that merging servers and creating a uproar in the community that doesnt pvp 24/7 and/or transfer servers every month, would help things in the long run, because lord knows the last merger wasn't exactly a super success. As i've said you have to remember more people play the game than show up at events or contest things like DGS/Kraken/RD. You cant base all your server pop talk just off of those.
    Fair enough but you can base it off player activity throughout the world right now I can go to an enemy zone and not see anyone. I'm talking like going to austera in the capital. Heck it's the same in marinople. I found enough land to place down 2 mansions next to each other. That is not a healthy population. There are other servers like this too. When there are servers like this people are of course going to free farm it. The main thing is to reduce and remove the free farm servers so the there is not multiple sources of gold just being added to the game daily.

You can't just blanket nerf the payouts of events like DGS and call it a day. Those are balanced to pay out according to them being contested and what not. So if you nerf the payout, one server who fights over it every day gets heavily screwed over while another server free farming it won't care as much.

If Trion is capable of adjusting the payouts of events on a server by server basis based on population, that would be very interesting. So DGS is less valuable on Ollo than it is on other servers.

Quote Originally Posted by PooperJackson View Post
    You can't just blanket nerf the payouts of events like DGS and call it a day. Those are balanced to pay out according to them being contested and what not. So if you nerf the payout, one server who fights over it every day gets heavily screwed over while another server free farming it won't care as much.

If Trion is capable of adjusting the payouts of events on a server by server basis based on population, that would be very interesting. So DGS is less valuable on Ollo than it is on other servers.
    You could, however, change the rewards to be valuable but not gold which would also fix the inflation without forcing everyone to uproot all their land.

Quote Originally Posted by TriopOfKraken View Post
    You could, however, change the rewards to be valuable but not gold which would also fix the inflation without forcing everyone to uproot all their land.
    Could do the same with trade packs too! Simple solution that would not change mechanics of the game would be to reduce the servers to a healthy amount to mirror the population.

Could do the same with trade packs too! Simple solution that would not change mechanics of the game would be to reduce the servers to a healthy amount to mirror the population.
    you already kinda have that with trade packs though in the form of resources that are needed for crafting. of course those also require PVP risk

you already kinda have that with trade packs though in the form of resources that are needed for crafting. of course those also require PVP risk
    On some servers, no, there is no risk.
    Thane
    <Disaster>
    WORLD CHAMP

Fair enough but you can base it off player activity throughout the world right now I can go to an enemy zone and not see anyone. I'm talking like going to austera in the capital. Heck it's the same in marinople. I found enough land to place down 2 mansions next to each other. That is not a healthy population. There are other servers like this too. When there are servers like this people are of course going to free farm it. The main thing is to reduce and remove the free farm servers so the there is not multiple sources of gold just being added to the game daily.
    Okay...if I logged into the most populated server EU/NA during the middle of the night/some other low activity time I could probably not find anyone either. If you're talking about finding plenty of land on Ollo, it's because a bunch of people just transferred elsewhere. The people that transferred or someone else will return in a month to fill the void.

Bottom line, Trion watches the servers. They've said there's enough activity that there won't be mergers at this time, and as mentioned they've said that the recent regrade event took out enough gold. They can always do another regrade event when prices reach a certain point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 LastLast