+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Free to play?

Angry Free to play?

Why oh Why does this need to be Free to Play, why on earth can they no do it via Subscriptions.

I have yet to see or play a Free to Play game that does not force players into paying out more money every week than they should, please can some one tell me if this game is going to punish a free player forcing them to fork over cash to continue playing or experiencing aspects of the game?

Item Mall's and Cash Shops are not inherently bad, at least not when they sell things that can be obtained in game normally at a reasonable time frame, but the second they start to sell things that would take a player 3 , 4 5 or more hours to grind they are killing the community and the game making it a class war between those who cant afford the game and those who can.

So, can anyone with info comment on this, or better yet, please tell me there is some subscription model available for those like me who would rather pay a sub and just get access to everything without having to be spoon fed access via micro transactions or some diamond or coin economic cash system.

korea had it on subs then it turned free to play. and there will be some kind of sub/pre model
    www.warriornation.net Warriornation is recruiting PVE/PVP/NA/EU traders and crafters

Im pretty sure they will have a sub-like model that offers extra stuff to help those along their way that decide to go that route.

Fairly sure there will be a sub or premium option available but supposedly Trion is going to bring similar gameplay to every player regardless of whether they pay or not.

That said, I agree with you about the sub. The F2P model has to find some way to make its money, and it's typically by cockblocking some aspect of your game experience. I hear that Rift does a great job of not doing that; That would have to be a first.

I'd rather just pay a sub and get full access to everything with no need for microtransactions or a cash shop or any BS like that. I don't see a problem with paying a few bucks every months for an MMO I enjoy.

My understanding is that they are planning to use the same payment system as the other regions. You will be able to play it for free but you will be limited to the number of Labor points you generate and they will only generate while you are online. With a sub (for the RU version) you generate more LP per 5 mins and it even generates while offline. Basicly makes it so you can craft and do things that use LP all the time when you are subbed. If you are not subbed then you will be limited.

FTP unfortunately is a business model that is very profitable and as with any company, Trion just want to maximize their return.

Whilst not officially confirmed, it's safe to assume Trion will provide users with a Premium or Subscription payment model that will naturally unlock any restrictions that FTP brings. I can't comment for Trion, but Mail.ru provide a FTP model that means users are forced to purchase premium or "VIP" if they wish to delve heavily into crafting, or something simple like building a house. Labor points without VIP access have a very SLOW regeneration rate, whilst crafting is possible, progress is very slow.

It's hard to say how Trion will approach the FTP model, they recently stated a "no tricks, no traps" vision. What that means.. time will tell.

There we go - another one of those " i want p2p i have money to pay, i don't care if others don't have it".

A 15€/month might be a "pizza money" for you - but for many others it could be the difference inbetween food for a week or not. And you cant just say " if you are poor, you shouldn't play" - that is extremely racist and selfish.

I would like it to be sub fee game, but i think trion knows that it will be very niche game. So they just trying to maximize profit.

In Russian Archeage model is quite brutal, which i'm totally fine it. I view F2P more like extended trial at least in games where you can sub. But there is lot of room to tweak those LP numbers, so i hope Trion will do that.
    ¯\(°_o)/¯

Star Trek Online and rift are two F2P games that i have never been forced to take money out of my pocket for. And ive no problem keeping up with any of my mates gear wise, ship wise, or anything else wise by being un subbed.
    A good example would actually be to take a look at what trion has done with the rift f2p, for a gauge what will happen with ArcheAge.

Its to early to say what there exact model will be, but already they mentioned that everything in the game will be open to everyone else, just like in rift. And if i was a betting man, i would say there would be a subscription to the game, that will offer a boost to the Labor Ppints. Labor points being a thing within the game that you need to craft, build etc, and will replenish itself over time. A possibltly would be that f2p gain 2 labor points to a subscribers 4 or something to that end. All a theory of my own just based on the live stream talk. Also to set your mind at ease, a recent quote from Scott.

"MMORPG.com: Can you give us an example of the elements of the business model or gameplay changes?

Scott Hartsman

Sure – A couple of the best examples are gliders and mounts. Currently, the best ones in the game in some regions are exclusively purchaseable from the store. That may be ideal for the other markets, but doesn’t fit the western “No tricks, no traps” F2P vision and sensibility.

What we do with mounts and gliders is to make sure that you get some solid enjoyment when you purchase one, but you’re still earning the best. That’s just one example of a few dozen types of requests that have been going back and forth between Trion and XL. XL has been a great partner in both helping us think through elements of how our model applies to ArcheAge as well as doing a lot of work to make it happen"

Quote Originally Posted by Ketec View Post
    There we go - another one of those " i want p2p i have money to pay, i don't care if others don't have it".

A 15€/month might be a "pizza money" for you - but for many others it could be the difference inbetween food for a week or not. And you cant just say " if you are poor, you shouldn't play" - that is extremely racist and selfish.
    This is a game not a necessity, perhaps you might be interested in cheaper hobbies. I don't think people want to play a broken game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast