+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Free to play?

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Elaborate.
    They are DESTROYED! Does that elaborate enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Apoth View Post
    or maybe the game is just bad? sometimes even a free to play pricing plan can't save the game.
    Not the game. Have played in Korea at the start. Loved it. But of course Mail.ru doesn't have a single normal game. They kill them for the money.

I think there's multiple factors that aren't being considered here:

First: and this is most important, so please note - there is no such thing as a free game. This game wasn't created for charity and the well being of the planet, it was made to turn a profit. This is something people should understand, the term free to play can be a bit misleading because there's no initial cost to install the game, but people put hours of their lives into the title and are hoping to see something in return. You can bet they're going to find a way to get you to spend money if they can help it. If you like the game so much, you should show the developers/publishers you appreciate their work and spend some money. This is how you encourage new content and continuation of the game you enjoy. I'm not saying everyone blow a fortune, I'm saying you should contribute something. $5 character slots, as an example. It's not hard to come across $5... and if you choose between games and eating you should seriously be focusing on eating. Sustaining your life is always better than gaming. 100% of the time.

Secondly, and this should also be noted: Trion hasn't announced how they intend to implement their f2p business model, so freaking out about how Korea or Russia do their way of thinking does little good. If Rift is an indicator, people will be able to enjoy the game for a very low cost, and those without hundreds of dollars to throw around will still be able to have a good time.

[In Korea] A couple of the best examples are gliders and mounts. Currently, the best ones in the game in some regions are exclusively purchaseable from the store. That may be ideal for the other markets, but doesn’t fit the western “No tricks, no traps” F2P vision and sensibility.

What we do with mounts and gliders is to make sure that you get some solid enjoyment when you purchase one, but you’re still earning the best. That’s just one example of a few dozen types of requests that have been going back and forth between Trion and XL. XL has been a great partner in both helping us think through elements of how our model applies to ArcheAge as well as doing a lot of work to make it happen.
    That's the CEO of Trion right there, so yeah... before the game is out, let's not assume it's inherently broken already. If it happens to be, then panic away.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhone View Post
    I think there's multiple factors that aren't being considered here:

First: and this is most important, so please note - there is no such thing as a free game. This game wasn't created for charity and the well being of the planet, it was made to turn a profit. This is something people should understand, the term free to play can be a bit misleading because there's no initial cost to install the game, but people put hours of their lives into the title and are hoping to see something in return. You can bet they're going to find a way to get you to spend money if they can help it. If you like the game so much, you should show the developers/publishers you appreciate their work and spend some money. This is how you encourage new content and continuation of the game you enjoy. I'm not saying everyone blow a fortune, I'm saying you should contribute something. $5 character slots, as an example. It's not hard to come across $5... and if you choose between games and eating you should seriously be focusing on eating. Sustaining your life is always better than gaming. 100% of the time.

Secondly, and this should also be noted: Trion hasn't announced how they intend to implement their f2p business model, so freaking out about how Korea or Russia do their way of thinking does little good. If Rift is an indicator, people will be able to enjoy the game for a very low cost, and those without hundreds of dollars to throw around will still be able to have a good time.

So before the game is out, let's not assume it's inherently broken already.
    Nobody said it was broken. It is broken in Russia. Free games get money from real money store.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMironia View Post
    Totally agree here. If ArcheAge has the same F2P model as Rift, Path Of Exile or Star Trek Online I can see this game being extremely worth playing. For the level of detail this game has to offer and the amount of things you can do we should be very thankful that it's going F2P (and with what they're saying is a very fair cash shop)
    With STO, so many of the best ships you have to pay for. I'm not really sure that's a good model for Trion to follow.

I think the glider example shows that in Archeage, they will not be following STOs cash shop setup.

I can see topics about payement are very hot, many threads about . I don't think players concern is actually about 'money' they are going to spend. Well, maybe this is an issue, surely. But I think the real point is that a mistake in this aspect of game stategy can spoil the whole thing and destroy the fun. So devs in this early stage should take care of their decisions under this point of view.

The F2P model have a Subscription. It's a low price!

Quote Originally Posted by aphelion View Post
    With STO, so many of the best ships you have to pay for. I'm not really sure that's a good model for Trion to follow.

I think the glider example shows that in Archeage, they will not be following STOs cash shop setup.
    STO free ships kick ♥♥♥, what matters is the setup you put and your experience with it, in any way or shape i feel obliged to spend real money there, ever, cant agree on that.

Trion have a solid F2P plan in Rift, but since the game doesn't have 999999 millions players i guess its not relevant, because the real problem here is the number of people who plays a certain game, thats the real problem in all F2P/P2P/B2P discussions.

I agree, it's a big shame that an amazing game like ArcheAge, which could totally survive and thrive on a subscription model, be made into free to play...
    Instead of actually playing the game and earning your items and place in the world, you can just use your "outside" money to buy your way to the top without earning anything.
    It destroys the fun in all the games, because it is not realistic or fun.

In real life you can't buy all the coolest tuxedos and lamborghinis and mansions whenever you want and have it delivered to your person instantly, just because you happen to have had a lot of money in your past life... it's exactly the same thing, and it's practically cheating, not to mention it ruins the fun for anyone who wants to truly achieve things and grow in the game.

I really hope soon that more people will realize the destruction and ruin that is caused by free to play models...

The more the better! I think anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast