+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feedback

Feedback

Hello everyone, this is my feedback for when I was in-game. I will be returning soon, about one week for now.

First, I wish to talk about a problem that i have found on the very beggining, which is, Bag/Bank space.
    Since this game has such a grand crafting system, there are lots of objects available to be gathered.

I got my bag/bank full at around level 20-25 if i remember correctly, then i started looking for ways to expand the space and ended up finding the expansion scroll.

I asked for help on how to expand my bag and luckly enough i got it, a Player named Tone from Tahyang gave me 2 expansion scrolls if I remember correctly. This was of huge help for me, since I would have a hard time on my progress with a full bag/bank.

But still, at level 45 my bag/bank got full again, and at the time, I was just near of getting 105 gold, which was the price of a expansion scroll on Tahyang at the time.

So I suggest a change on this system, pherhaps making possible to craft a expansion scroll. For if a new player don't get luck as i did and don't get some space, they might end giving up on the game.

Next I wish to talk about dungeons, as I was leveling I encountered my first Dungeon around level 25-28. I did it but that was it, after that Dungeon, as I continued to level, I found more Dungeons along the way, but didn't seem to find players, for they were on remote places. There were people x'ing for stuff that didn't fit me, and dungeons waiting for me where i could not complete alone nor find players. So i leave this here for consideration.

Next I wish to talk about crafting, I had a hard time at crafting, thus making my bag full for not knowing what to do with stuff, at the time there was't any good wiki/info on the internet about stuff.

I crafted a full set that i can't remember the name correctly, something related to Lost Towers, it was very good equipment and I did it through questing. But after that, I didn't craft anything and I am still using some of this equipment that i made at around 28, i am level 45 now.

Same with Gliders, there was't much info in-game to teach me how to craft my own gliders aside from the ones got from questing.

Also, as I decided to level up fishing, being a newbie. the first good thing that i thought could pay my fishing experience was Dawn lake essence, which i ended up not finding use nor ways to sell it.

So I suggest more attention on newbie players about how to craft stuff in-game, since this is what drives the game economy, new comers should be able to learn the basics of crafting, trade runs, and stuff early on. And what to do with stuff like Dawn Lake Essence.

Also, I know this might find some resistance, but i wish to talk about labor points. Giving no labor points for free players while offline is just harsh, after all, free players are still comunity. So pherhaps giving 1 offline labor point per 5 minutes should be considered.

This is it, overall. As I return to the game next week, I will be comming back here with more feedback, with the intention of supporting the game in order to grow on beautifully.

Thank You Very Much!!! <3

Although there are plenty of valid points in the feedback you've given, I'll try to explain some things that may help you deal with (or tolerate) these issues a bit more on your return.

So I suggest a change on this system, pherhaps making possible to craft a expansion scroll. For if a new player don't get luck as i did and don't get some space, they might end giving up on the game.
    Inventory space is definitely a bane of F2P and is pretty much a classic cash shop measure. But unlike say tax certificates (which can now be crafted in-game), players do not have to constantly use expansion scrolls. Once they unlock their full inventory, they'll never have to buy expansion scrolls again. This is why making them craftable is unlikely to happen. Expansion scrolls on Tahyang are currently closer to 150g (depending on if there was a sale or not), but that amount is not very difficult to get once you become an established player (some daily Merit quests give you 35g or even 50g just to clear some dungeon mobs, for example).

The way lesser-off players get around it is by using their mailbox as temporary storage (you can just mail yourself unbound items and they'll keep for about a month before expiring). But minimizing inventory space usage is certainly something that XL should keep in mind (some events and quests take up entire rows of inventory slots!). Perhaps another system that could be used is a rentable deposit box or something.

Next I wish to talk about dungeons, as I was leveling I encountered my first Dungeon around level 25-28. I did it but that was it, after that Dungeon, as I continued to level, I found more Dungeons along the way, but didn't seem to find players, for they were on remote places. There were people x'ing for stuff that didn't fit me, and dungeons waiting for me where i could not complete alone nor find players.
    This is because unlike other MMOs, dungeons are not the main content focus for ArcheAge. Lower-level dungeons aren't even necessary to do (you'll often outscale their gear through quest gear) and only a few high-level dungeons are useful for endgame gearing. XL has tried to make dungeons a bit more relevant (for example, mentor/mentee daily quests for low-level dungeons or items like Aria's Autograph that are crafted with dungeon mats), but you don't really get players funneled into doing dungeons atm.

Next I wish to talk about crafting, I had a hard time at crafting, thus making my bag full for not knowing what to do with stuff, at the time there was't any good wiki/info on the internet about stuff.
    For ArcheAge, most players end up using the Folio (O) to look up recipes (you can also search by Materials used in the recipe. Dawn Lake Light Essence would show up as being used in Regrade Scrolls). In the past, there were various ArcheAge wikis being maintained (Trion even created a wiki that could be accessed through the in-game browser!), but there haven't been many players willing to update and manage those resources.

One reason is because of competition (more knowledge = advantage), another is just because it's hard to test and confirm various parts of the game because of how much time-investment activities can take. Patch notes are also not always accurate either because the devs (XL) and publisher (Trion) for this game are not one and the same.

The learning curve for ArcheAge is fairly broad and the game doesn't give you much aside from very basic explanations. However, it seems like the intent is that players will learn from the community. This means you have things like unexpected market opportunities, specialized experts, and "secret" knowledge among players, but the trade-off is that new players have to fumble around a lot at the beginning.

Also, I know this might find some resistance, but i wish to talk about labor points. Giving no labor points for free players while offline is just harsh, after all, free players are still comunity. So pherhaps giving 1 offline labor point per 5 minutes should be considered.
    It is harsh, but necessary in our region to an extent. The reason is because players in our region can create as many free accounts as they want. With 0 offline labor regeneration, they have to stay logged in or spend on a subscription for the extra Labor. But if you give even 1 online labor regen, it becomes a problem because players can just sit on a bunch of temporary accounts for whenever they need Labor.

In-game, there are options F2P have for recovering Labor (like exchanging Gilda Stars to use a Bed to recover Labor), but they need to be relooked at and potentially revised. The price atm for recovering that amount of Labor is just too steep for anyone to really consider. In KR, they have removed the Labor penalty for planting on open land as one measure to help ease the burden, we'll have to see if that change (and perhaps future ones) make it into our version.

Well, the thing with bag/bank space is that, it gets full at the very beggining, and lots of players stop playing the game because of this. Not all players know this mailbox system, which is just a glitch on the bag space issue.
    So, even if crafting a expansion of bag is not possible, pherhaps is possible to expand the initial size of bank and bag, until a player can get 150g at around level 40-50 that would help a lot.

About dungeons, I hope it gets fixed, because Dungeons can be really fun if done properly, especially on a Role Playing aspect.

I did not know about the portfolio, when was it added? Is it like a wiki in-game that you can browse through all the material and how/where to get them? If so, this would solve the crafting problem, most likely.

About the 1 offline point of labor, I still think is necessary, even though some lazy people may use it to exploit the game, the benefits can be much greater, for this 1 point alone may hold and bring lots of players to the game. So there is the down side which is more supervision from staff, for those who try to exploit. But there is the plus side, which is more players comming and staying... ^_^

Anyways, this is a feedback that i have been guarding over the years, since the first time i played, next week i will be online again, and I will be able to give a more accurate feedback.

Also, my feedback is mostly thinking about newbies, not all are experienced players who know how to grind and make money :P
    Besides, I plan on doing some gameplay videos on a near future, if so, begginer issues must be addressed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowtrumundo View Post
    I did not know about the portfolio, when was it added? Is it like a wiki in-game that you can browse through all the material and how/where to get them? If so, this would solve the crafting problem, most likely.
    It has been there since the beginning (just press O to bring it up). Basic recipe base with the various items you can craft and the items necessary. Some items state where you can get them, but most raw resources do not have all their locations listed out. That's something that's not well-documented for that "secret" knowledge effect and because the devs sometimes change around wild spawns. Some players have compiled spreadsheets though.

About the 1 offline point of labor, I still think is necessary, even though some lazy people may use it to exploit the game, the benefits can be much greater, for this 1 point alone may hold and bring lots of players to the game. So there is the down side which is more supervision from staff, for those who try to exploit. But there is the plus side, which is more players comming and staying... ^_^
    Unfortunately, supervision would be hard and the effects could be quite disastrous. One reason is that it's kind of impossible to figure out which account is an alt and which isn't without thorough investigation. It's also not "illegal" in our region, there are plenty of players with alts in ArcheAge, partially because having alt characters is such a prevalent thing with MMOs.

The other reason is while it seems like it'd be helpful for new players initially, it's really a short-term convenience. Long-term, it could potentially be worse for the new player. As mentioned before, how many alt characters one can use is somewhat limited by the number of subscriptions they can afford and how good their computer is (so they can play on multiple accounts). But if there is offline regen for free players, there is no limit because free accounts are readily available.

Players using alts already have an advantage over single-account players. With F2P regen, those players gain an even larger advantage because there is no cost to the extra Labor. Which makes it harder for F2P to catch up to those players. This is one of the problems in ArcheAge where there's no good solution.

Also, my feedback is mostly thinking about newbies, not all are experienced players who know how to grind and make money :P
    Besides, I plan on doing some gameplay videos on a near future, if so, begginer issues must be addressed properly.
    It's good to see that you're looking at ArcheAge with a more critical eye. It's a large game catering to many kinds of players, so there will always be problems. Even if it may take a while for feedback to reach the devs, voicing concerns and highlighting issues is necessary for change.

But some problems are very difficult to solve, others are a by-product of encouraging certain approaches to gameplay. Hopefully, my two-cents here has given some context on the issues (many of these problems have multiple sides to them and have had discussions in the past that may be useful moving forward).

Still, the problem here does not seem to be the one point but the multiple accounts issue, which is really not a cool thing. I mean, is just taking advantage of the game without the RPG aspect, in other words, Multiple Accounts is just greed manifesting itself.

Quote Originally Posted by wooglemoogle View Post
    It has been there since the beginning (just press O to bring it up). Basic recipe base with the various items you can craft and the items necessary. Some items state where you can get them, but most raw resources do not have all their locations listed out. That's something that's not well-documented for that "secret" knowledge effect and because the devs sometimes change around wild spawns. Some players have compiled spreadsheets though.

Unfortunately, supervision would be hard and the effects could be quite disastrous. One reason is that it's kind of impossible to figure out which account is an alt and which isn't without thorough investigation. It's also not "illegal" in our region, there are plenty of players with alts in ArcheAge, partially because having alt characters is such a prevalent thing with MMOs.

The other reason is while it seems like it'd be helpful for new players initially, it's really a short-term convenience. Long-term, it could potentially be worse for the new player. As mentioned before, how many alt characters one can use is somewhat limited by the number of subscriptions they can afford and how good their computer is (so they can play on multiple accounts). But if there is offline regen for free players, there is no limit because free accounts are readily available.

Players using alts already have an advantage over single-account players. With F2P regen, those players gain an even larger advantage because there is no cost to the extra Labor. Which makes it harder for F2P to catch up to those players. This is one of the problems in ArcheAge where there's no good solution.

It's good to see that you're looking at ArcheAge with a more critical eye. It's a large game catering to many kinds of players, so there will always be problems. Even if it may take a while for feedback to reach the devs, voicing concerns and highlighting issues is necessary for change.

But some problems are very difficult to solve, others are a by-product of encouraging certain approaches to gameplay. Hopefully, my two-cents here has given some context on the issues (many of these problems have multiple sides to them and have had discussions in the past that may be useful moving forward).
    Commenting on the 1 point labor; which is something i suggested when this first came out. It is something critical that should be implemented[Currently i am a patron, but certain times i will stop my patron and will most likely be years for me to return as there is no incentive for me to log in with the major limitations.

Gives free to play players an incentive to log in each day instead of the current what's the point "I need to be logged in for hours before i can do anything" *Don't forget crafting is the biggest thing with this game not to mention 90% of the game requires labor*. With apex always on the raise a f2p player will not stay very long as the gap between able to do anything but kill mobs is big.

Oh people might abuse it; If someone wants to and make 50 free accounts to get extra labour [So they can play the game]. Why not let them that's called good customer service "BUT WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WHO MAKE BOTS" simple [Just make an offline soft cap]. though botters will most likely leave their toons logged in anyway.
    ------------------------------------

Theirs a reason games like runescape last for years on years, and archage is dieing; as soon as the next big thing comes along that truelly rivals it- its done . [No black desert doesn't count].

Sorry for my grammer and such, little tired when i wrote this.

+ Reply to Thread