+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Offhand for a Dual Wield Mage

Offhand for a Dual Wield Mage

Hello guys.
    My question is.. do you take the magic attack from the offhand.. or you takes only the intelligence and the passive bonus (from the obsidian)? Is your second weapon increasing your magic attack (I mean not just from the intelligence..but from its own magic attack too) ?

Your offhand is a neat stat stick - You take all the stats from it, including Magic Attack (however, offhands with Magic Attack are pretty rare, limited to only a few things like the obsidian V2 dagger).

So yes, dual-wielding +Magic Attack weapons will let you benefit fully from both. It still won't add up to quite the amount of raw power from a staff, though. Still, it's faster for instants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancet View Post
    Your offhand is a neat stat stick - You take all the stats from it, including Magic Attack (however, offhands with Magic Attack are pretty rare, limited to only a few things like the obsidian V2 dagger).

So yes, dual-wielding +Magic Attack weapons will let you benefit fully from both. It still won't add up to quite the amount of raw power from a staff, though. Still, it's faster for instants.
    Please don't give information that are wrong.

10000% You can get same magic attack and more utility from dual wielding. 2h is losing the 7% GCD in 3.5 and dual wielding is gaining extra 7% of attack speed. Dual wield is the way to go for mage. yes obsidian can proc penetration but that's all a staff wearer is betting on. And that's if you have a t7 staff. Dual wielding will give you 56% crit dmg where a staff will only give you 35% crit dmg (if you have mythics you will get an extra slot so 14% more from dual wielding, and only 5% from staff). Crit dmg is fixed and it has no diminishing return. Dual wielding will give you couple of more instant flame bolts because of dagger's extra time on backdrop. Scepter has the 8% more dmg to electrical dmg as well.

So if you can go dual wielding, go dual wielding. And yes I am biased because I have dual mythics but dual wielding will be the build to have in 3.5 onwards as a mage.
    Nehalem / Illumination
    <Retirement Home> Tahyang

Not to mentio duel wielding T7 dagger and T7 katana will give around 18% or so cast speed reduction in total, allowing you to skip cast speed rings, lunagems etc in favor of skill damage rings, mdef penetration gems etc. Magic attack is only slightly lower for katana than for scepter, so it's a very viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post

10000% You can get same magic attack and more utility from dual wielding. 2h is losing the 7% GCD in 3.5 and dual wielding is gaining extra 7% of attack speed. Dual wield is the way to go for mage. yes obsidian can proc penetration but that's all a staff wearer is betting on. And that's if you have a t7 staff. Dual wielding will give you 56% crit dmg where a staff will only give you 35% crit dmg (if you have mythics you will get an extra slot so 14% more from dual wielding, and only 5% from staff). Crit dmg is fixed and it has no diminishing return. Dual wielding will give you couple of more instant flame bolts because of dagger's extra time on backdrop. Scepter has the 8% more dmg to electrical dmg as well.

So if you can go dual wielding, go dual wielding. And yes I am biased because I have dual mythics but dual wielding will be the build to have in 3.5 onwards as a mage.
    You've told me not to spread misinformation, yet have told me nothing that contradicts what I've said.

Using legendary T6 untempered numbers, a staff grants +725 magic attack and +156 Intelligence (adding up to +31, for a grand total of 756 M.Atk), while a scepter gives +634 Magic Attack (+74 int, equaling a bonus of +15 for a total of 649 M.Atk). Lastly, the offhand dagger gives +63 Magic Attack (+58 int, for +12 finalizing its contribution as 70 M.Atk)

Staff = 756 Magic Attack
    Dual Wield = 719 Magic Attack.

That's a difference of 37, and while the difference may be considered minimal on this larger scale, Two-handers retain their +5% to all damage, meaning that their raw damage is still superior. Trying to compensate for even faster cast time by using an obsidian katana, will result in an even wider raw-damage gap.

Now, in practical PvP applications, dual-wielding certainly would likely pull ahead due to the fast-paced environment. However, trying to maximize your critical damage and push for fully-gemming two 1h's with +crit dmg%, is going to be insanely expensive. After all, we don't even know what the OP's gear is like - And just shooting off personal bias with mythics, isn't really doing a whole lot except theorycrafting for the 1% and beyond the scope of the original topic of this thread.
    Kraken's #1 Argent Storyteller.

Quote Originally Posted by Rururu View Post
    There are some targets which are simply not ideal to attack when they are aware of your presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post

Wrong. You don't need t7 staff to get the staff proc. XD
    You will get additional 2 gem slots if you have 2 mythic weapons, which means 2x4% crit dmg gems = 8%.

So as a spellsinger would It​ be better to use a staff or dual wield? I have the option of katana and dagger or scepter and dagger

Spellsinger is always better to go staff. As it's assassin type build and you want the really big hits. Also it's one of the few builds that bank on the staff proc for 75k plus zeal procs. So Spellsinger is staff, but it does limit options for other specs.

Nahlem the issue is most aren't going to hit that point and raw damage staff still trumps. What you get from dual world is 1-2 more sets of fireballs at t7 dagger and only get the gods whip (not all electrical damage) bonus at t7 scepter. Staff still has pen proc passive need pen and almost every t7 staff is using the deep freeze staff minus a very small handful. 4m chill for Insta deep freeze and keeping groups chilled for bonus meteor damage when you go in is just as valuable. Both have separate uses but overall for the big crits staff will still pull ahead.
    Cataa / Catata
    Gank Bus

Btw, it looks like while 2-handers lose their 7% GCD reduction, they gain 7% cast speed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast