+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Screen Switching Characters

Exclamation Black Screen Switching Characters

I've seen older posts regarding this issue without a resolution, so I thought I'd try again. Ever since the 3.5 patch, I have been unable to switch characters by going to the Character Select screen after logging in my first Character. I do this by hitting the ESC key and then clicking Select Character from the menu. Almost every attempt is just met with a black screen, and the sound of a pop up message appearing similar to the one when you are disconnected. I do not see a message window appear however. This forces me to shut down the game completely and start it up all over again, which is a tedious process. A guild mate of mine is seeing the same issue as well. They play using DX 9 and I currently use DX11. Originally the game set me to Very High for everything, I have tried bumping this down, but that has not fixed the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    ~ Krison Mystic ~
    Proud Member of WhiteRaven
    Eanna Server - East Faction

UPDATE: Problem still remaining when trying to switch characters. I can log in to the game initially without any trouble, but can't change to my alt without closing the game completely and re-launching. So far Support has offered several suggestions, but none have worked:

1. Sent Support a DXdiag report (nothing jumped out there as a problem)
    2. Change firewall settings to allow Glyph and Archeage full access. (already done)
    3. Update DirectX 9 files (even though I play on DX 11)
    4. Disable Multi-thread Rendering in screen options (oddly this might have helped overall performance?)
    5. Switched the game to DX9 without any change. (This was my idea to try for the heck of it)
    6. Re-name Archeage folder in My Documents and launched game to re-create.
    7. Uninstall Archeage completely and re-install game (12.6 GB download complete with no change...)
    I stress again, this all started after the 3.5 patch. Before that I was able to change characters at will without any problems. It is obvious changes were made to this screen with the patch. Most likely causing this problem. However, it is puzzling why I can load up this screen initially on start up, but not later to switch characters. Don't understand what the difference would be. I still get the scroll sound effect too with the black screen that sounds similar to the disconnect message you might encounter. I guess I'm losing connection to the server for some reason when going back to this screen? I'm at a loss as to why now. This is a bit frustrating. But, I guess I should be glad I'm getting replies with suggestions at least.
    ~ Krison Mystic ~

Shooting in the dark here;

1) Updated drivers? (Video card & sound.... sometimes I've seen these two cause weird game related issues... -NEVER TRUST AUTO UPDATE, CHECK FOR YOURSELF-)
    2) Open task manager and set them to a higher priority?
    3) Try running in Borderless Window Mode / window mode (I myself have to run my clients in BWM otherwise I can't run multiple clients... damn eyefinity -.- haha')
    4) Are you running with the FoV mod? (if so disable? and test again...)

If you'd like send me a PM later and I'll see if I can help you out further via Discord or TeamSpeak (I Have a TS & Discord server)
    Rafiki
    Grimoire Hearts - Guild Leader

i get this when the game turns on HDR effects, bottom of quality. for some reason since 3.5 it loves to turn them on when ever your game crashes or you duplicate log on. also just noticed it is now turning on multi thread rendering too. got to the point i had to stop using my old laptop that used to handle multiple accounts and could barely handle 1 after update.

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanSean View Post
    Shooting in the dark here;

1) Updated drivers? (Video card & sound.... sometimes I've seen these two cause weird game related issues... -NEVER TRUST AUTO UPDATE, CHECK FOR YOURSELF-)
    2) Open task manager and set them to a higher priority?
    3) Try running in Borderless Window Mode / window mode (I myself have to run my clients in BWM otherwise I can't run multiple clients... damn eyefinity -.- haha')
    4) Are you running with the FoV mod? (if so disable? and test again...)

If you'd like send me a PM later and I'll see if I can help you out further via Discord or TeamSpeak (I Have a TS & Discord server)
    Thanks for the suggestions, but no luck here:

1) Drivers are up to date. I had checked that previously, and just double checked.
    2) Setting higher priority did not cause any changes either
    3) I tried running in Window Mode (normal setting for me) and Borderless Window mode, as well as full screen. No change
    4) I have no mods installed of any kind.

I appreciate the help!
    ~ Krison Mystic ~

Quote Originally Posted by XAJoker View Post
    i get this when the game turns on HDR effects, bottom of quality. for some reason since 3.5 it loves to turn them on when ever your game crashes or you duplicate log on. also just noticed it is now turning on multi thread rendering too. got to the point i had to stop using my old laptop that used to handle multiple accounts and could barely handle 1 after update.
    I was surprised to find HDR effects enabled. I thought I had deselected that before. However, removing this and restarting the game still failed to get me to the Character Select screen after clicking switching characters.

Thanks for trying!
    ~ Krison Mystic ~

This issue had cleared up for a while, but since this last Tuesdays maintenance it seems to be back with a vengeance. It used to let me SOMETIMES switch characters when this happened before, but now it makes me close the client down completely and relog in if I want to log into a different character EVERY time. The black screen is a major issue. It is one of the main reasons my husband quit playing as its impossible to get anything done when you are running 4 clients and trying to use labor and what not and you have to constantly restart each client anytime you need to log over!

Trion, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this!
    Charleene - East
    <Justice>

Carlee - West
    <Boobies>

Ceceelia - Pirate
    <Pirates Who Dont Do Anything>

So, I had one further suggestion given to me by support. That was to try restarting my computer with all non-windows services disabled and all startup programs disabled. (using MSconfig and task manager) I give that a try for the heck of it, but still no luck. I think we're out of ideas...
    ~ Krison Mystic ~

Still seeing the problem. The latest suggestion was a Memory error issue. Told to run Windows Memory diagnostic program. NO ERRORS FOUND.

What I did find was plenty of other people seeing this issue before with Archeage:

http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...t=poem+loading
    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...aracter+select
    ~ Krison Mystic ~

And, it's official, I'm out of luck for now:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us regarding ArcheAge.

I appreciate your patience while I reviewed the issue further, and can certainly understand any frustration this has caused. I will be more than happy to address this further for you. It appears that this issue is actually something that has been reported to the ArcheAge development team as an ongoing issue for multiple people. Unfortunately, we have no immediate fix for this specific issue, but I have verified they are aware and working on a resolution. The only current possible work around that has worked for some people is using the default "High" settings for their graphics. This appears to be affected by specific settings used at Medium and Low settings causing this issue. Sadly, if this doesn't work for you I have no additional steps to provide. I want to express my sincerest apologies as I understand this unintended issue has caused immense frustration. Thank you so much for your patience, and I want to wish you the best of luck in ArcheAge!

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know. Thank you for your continued support of Trion Worlds and for playing ArcheAge.

Your reference number for this ticket is 939717.

Sincerely,

Senior GM
    ~ Krison Mystic ~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast