+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for a bruiser/melee offtank build...

Allow me to be very objective:

@newguy
    1. A proc from a spear / shortspear is something the RNG god bestows upon you. In other words, it happens or it doesn't. So no use worrying about that. WHAT you CAN DO is minimise it from happening. Refer to item #1 and #2. This works wonders if you know how to use positioning.
    2. As I said, this build is on a BUDGET. You want better overall defenses (just get the next tier armor or regrade). That's just about all you can do.
    3. Last but not least, while plate has its benefits (notice that my build uses the plate buff, it's just damn good). GOING ALL OUT PLATE is NOT ADVISABLE especially in 3.5. You can mix and match armors now. HIGHLY ADVISABLE.

Given somewhat similar GS and player skills: Surviving DR burst is something you have to practice and it is hard. But with all things, practice makes perfect. It's not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Neglect View Post
    Allow me to be very objective:

@newguy
    1. A proc from a spear / shortspear is something the RNG god bestows upon you. In other words, it happens or it doesn't. So no use worrying about that. WHAT you CAN DO is minimise it from happening. Refer to item #1 and #2. This works wonders if you know how to use positioning.
    2. As I said, this build is on a BUDGET. You want better overall defenses (just get the next tier armor or regrade). That's just about all you can do.
    3. Last but not least, while plate has its benefits (notice that my build uses the plate buff, it's just damn good). GOING ALL OUT PLATE is NOT ADVISABLE especially in 3.5. You can mix and match armors now. HIGHLY ADVISABLE.

Given somewhat similar GS and player skills: Surviving DR burst is something you have to practice and it is hard. But with all things, practice makes perfect. It's not impossible.
    about #1 m take a shortspear use 3 stacks of twart and look at your combat log
    after i did it for 15 minutes i avarage on 15 seconds per proc ( and it does not deviate that much from it ) please test it and then say "rng"

#2 if it is a budget , go leather or plate, i saw a link to cloth gear calculator so i have no idea if it is bad link or i clicked somethign wrong

#3 disagree with cloth , you hit like a wet noodle , because you have no str/agility and you are very squishy
    going with plate will give you str to do that br dmg + block & parry that you need.

without auromancy it is pretty much a gear check when fighting mages
    BRING BACK UNCAPPED 1v1 #ARENAGATE

Quote Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
    about #1 m take a shortspear use 3 stacks of twart and look at your combat log
    after i did it for 15 minutes i avarage on 15 seconds per proc ( and it does not deviate that much from it ) please test it and then say "rng"

#2 if it is a budget , go leather or plate, i saw a link to cloth gear calculator so i have no idea if it is bad link or i clicked somethign wrong

#3 disagree with cloth , you hit like a wet noodle , because you have no str/agility and you are very squishy
    going with plate will give you str to do that br dmg + block & parry that you need.

without auromancy it is pretty much a gear check when fighting mages
    I did say refer to item #1 and #2 (including the RNG aspect of your spear proc). So to refresh,

-with almost 90+% Melee mitigation, factoring you keep said melee opponent in front of you (this is item #1 by the way), your RNG or non RNG spear proc will be hard pressed to hit home. Why is that? As I said rotate you Redoubt and/or Focus skills (this is item #2). Now you can RNG or no RNG all you like but the only melee atk going through is a TIGER STRIKE and as I've said, no use in worrying bout things you can't control.

As for going full leather or plate, we can agree to disagree but just to point out:
    - the build uses plate 4pc. Why? plate is damn good for overall defense. Going full plate? Mages will eat you fer lunchbreakfastdinner, so no thank you
    -the build uses 3 cloth pcs (1 of which is the most OP armor in game, the other 2 serves their purpose - if you actually take time to read and look you will see why)
    -re not having auramancy, this is an off meta build (was pretty sure I pointed that out).

P.S. There are so many options to approach combat. Some effective, some aren't. Keep thinking out of the box.

Shortspear ignores an extra 10k def with decent chance (10 or 15%, cant confirm exact number) at a 15s internal cooldown. Unless it's a triple slash hit you gonna eat big damage even in plate, which is why you need redoubt and big block/parry to survive DRs.
    Longspear has 30%+ proc rate and only 10s internal cooldown, so it's even scarier.

I recommend playing hexblade, with the new ancestral witchcraft skills it's an amazing bodyguard spec for backline defending.
    I usually walloftext and turn it into a guide... but I will only go into detail if someone is specifically interested, since this spec depends a lot on available gear options and application.
    My standard suggestion is something like this:
    http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/479975

ancestral skills:
    lightning tiger strike
    wave imprison
    lightning earthen grip
    mist bubble trap
    mist banshee wail

rest as preferred.
    Recommended weapon is katana (hidden proc procs puncture to reduce def by 2000 and magic atk helps with witchcraft earthen grip and focal concussion)
    Member of New Horizon
    & Founder/Leader of <Aurum>/<Vortex>

Kyprosa Server
    Discord Contact: Cohiba#1706

Quote Originally Posted by Cohiba View Post
    Shortspear ignores an extra 10k def with decent chance (10 or 15%, cant confirm exact number) at a 15s internal cooldown. Unless it's a triple slash hit you gonna eat big damage even in plate, which is why you need redoubt and big block/parry to survive DRs.
    Longspear has 30%+ proc rate and only 10s internal cooldown, so it's even scarier.

I recommend playing hexblade, with the new ancestral witchcraft skills it's an amazing bodyguard spec for backline defending.
    I usually walloftext and turn it into a guide... but I will only go into detail if someone is specifically interested, since this spec depends a lot on available gear options and application.
    My standard suggestion is something like this:
    http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/479975

ancestral skills:
    lightning tiger strike
    wave imprison
    lightning earthen grip
    mist bubble trap
    mist banshee wail

rest as preferred.
    Recommended weapon is katana (hidden proc procs puncture to reduce def by 2000 and magic atk helps with witchcraft earthen grip and focal concussion)
    Why not use shield slam & bull rush? I mean I noticed that this combo s very slow and I usually can't really apply it, but i'd be interested in your assessment

@Mist Banshee wail: Do you cast that at your own loaction before you lasso an enemy in? The slight delay when casting it seems to cause me trouble, compared to the standard banshee wail that really is instant

is Bear's Vigor really worth sacrificing so much damage from BR passives?

Quote Originally Posted by Quaisoir View Post
    Why not use shield slam & bull rush? I mean I noticed that this combo s very slow and I usually can't really apply it, but i'd be interested in your assessment

@Mist Banshee wail: Do you cast that at your own loaction before you lasso an enemy in? The slight delay when casting it seems to cause me trouble, compared to the standard banshee wail that really is instant

is Bear's Vigor really worth sacrificing so much damage from BR passives?
    Shield slam always get's shrugged, it's not super effective against DR and you really gotta save your skillpoints.
    In group PvP you tend to focus on exactly one task.. in this case it's interrupting the enemy assassin and pinning them down till death.
    Preventing ally death and setting up the kill are your focus, damage is very secondary on a plate user anyway.. since they tend to have almost 0 agility and also lack other offensive stats due to MDEF requirement on various gear slots.

I would use the banshee wail on your ally who is being jumped, since then the DR will get interrupted mid combo.
    Lassoing someone into your own wail can be a bit slow, people might see it coming and teleport out.

For small scale you could adapt this slightly and for example replace that extra survivability for damage if you wish of course
    Member of New Horizon
    & Founder/Leader of <Aurum>/<Vortex>

Kyprosa Server
    Discord Contact: Cohiba#1706

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2