+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a bruiser/melee offtank build...

Looking for a bruiser/melee offtank build...

... besides abolisher. I'm looking at getting full plate w/mdef accessories and off parts (defensively gemmed ofc) along with obsidian shortspear(or katana if the build uses heavily Occ/WC/Sorc with no need of +heal) with mdef shield (I'm still leveling in quest gear, so...).

I'm open to anything that sticks to this rules (all in all: no abolisher, no full tanks -i.e. SK, defiler, dreambreaker, templar-) for any kind of battle (ideally I'd like something decent on small scale fights and something else for raid-scale fights, don't need to be the same build) and feel free to suggest a different gear focus if you feel it is better.

Specific guidance on builds (using a skill/gear calculator) would be desired.

Thanks in advance.

Basically battlerage defense plus whatever. Blighter hexblade doomlord paladin come to mind. Playem all till you find your niche. Cheers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Kraken East - Moleman - Enigmatist-Paladin-Skullknight-Hex Warden-Abolisher-Argent-Bloodreaver-Hexblade... and still going

Kraken East - Rakshashi - Abolisher - Paladin - Bastion

JOIN CARNAGE, EAT POTATOES!!! rAWr
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "...it should be RRNG... the R's stand for 'Russian Roulette'..."

Doomlord or Dawncaller if you want to be cool. Dawncaller you can build almost like a blade dancer, but dump more skills into battlerage passives, with just 3-6 points in defense, since defense only has a few good skills anyway (and 1 passive), which happen to be extremely good.

If you plan on sticking to small fights or 1v1 just go argent or paladin. You will rarely die, and everyone will absolutely hate fighting you to the point of just not trying in some cases.

I'll help you out. Why? It's just a whim but today I'm feeling a bit "helpful".

I'm also an "off meta build". And if you're gonna ask how my off meta fares against the current ones? I usually roll em (same GS or some higher by 400+ or so). Of course you cannot win all fights, thats a given. And ofc, there are trade offs (see below):

PROS:
    - survival rate goes up (123 DR rotation won't work nuff said)
    - self healz
    - this build is a bit FORGIVING if you have high ping or slow reaction time (a bit)
    - there's only the above 3 actually (but seriously, being able to take DR dmg and beating them - oh you can only imagine their reactions. It's PRICELESS)

CONS:
    - going off meta is NOT for the faint of heart. So be prepared to take a beating. You gotta practice3x until your keybinds become extensions of your fingers, literally.
    - let me emphasize YOU ARE NOT HIGH BURST DPS. In fact, it would be more proper to say that you are -in a way- killing your enemies softly.
    - stay away from tanky healers. You can disrupt them to a good extent but it's almost NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE to kill them
    - you have a bit of weakness to ranged dps (low mobility)

My suggested class for you is Doomlord. I'm still making the build and I will post it here ASAP.

To give a bit of credence to my above claims, I'm from Nazar.
    - Arclher (off meta Dreadnaught)

As I said, Doomlord: http://archeagecalculator.com/?a=071CG7Izfsm318

ABYSSAL SKILL: Occultism

A FEW POINTERS:
    -You can switch a few skillpoints here and there but the overall build in general is there
    -this build is on a BUDGET (if you want to upgrade, just switch to the next tier gear and regrade buff)
    -EPIC Weapon with MAGIC stat is non-negotiable (this is the bare minimum). If you can do better then good for you

The sustain (given you are up against similar GS opponents -give or take a few hundred here and there- and skills somewhat equal)

Against DR (offensive melee):
    1. Always keep him in your field of vision (i.e. ALWAYS IN FRONT OF YOUR SIGHT)
    2. You have 2 skills to mitigate his atks, either Focus or Redoubt (pick one or use both at the same time or dont pop any at all bcoz by default you already have 58% melee dmg mitigation). Experience will teach you what will be best to use in given situations.
    3. The DR will try to TRIP, FLANK or BURST YOU from the front (let's call these 123 ATKS). More often they will opt for the first 2, if that fails, they opt for the 3rd. Now included in the 123ATKS are stun, slows, snares, shackle and bleeds. The DR will choose to apply these when you are most vulnerable (when you are TRIPPED or FLANKED).
    4. So REMEDY to #3 = refer to #1
    5. But the DR is so fast and always manages to TRIP and/or FLANK me. Refer to #2. Know WHEN to pop your melee mitigation skills (again, this gets better wth practice and/or experience.

Now that you've mastered items #1 to #5. You are ready to do some counterplay.
    ***IMPORTANT: always apply buffs pre start of fight and in open world whenever possible.

1. While the DR keeps BURSTING (hopefully you are no longer flanked or tripped now). Atk him with Crippling Mire + Boastful Roar.
    -while you get to mitigate some, if not all, the DR's atks, he wont be mitigating your magic atk. Most DRs will retreat to negate your combo atk.

2. Let's say the DR doesn't teleport or warp away from your Crippling Mire + Boastful Roar, add Lightning Triple Slash to your atks (as many as possible). Once Crippling Mire ends (and DR didnt negate it by moving away), they get stunned. At this point, DR will either Shrug It Off or not. If they Shrug It Off, apply Crippling Mire again (this has a 6 sec cd while you have URGENCY buff, always use this when able. This is your basic magic atk, this sets you apart from the other melee bruisers). Proceed to melee fight for the next 6 secs (just about time your Crippling Mire comes off cd), then use Mist Hell Spear. DR is IMPALED. Pop Mist Summon Wraith, Crippiling Mire and all your melee atk rotations (preferably melee atks with snare resulting into trips). This is a LOCKDOWN. If you applied the melee with snare atk while the wraith was summoned, DR WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PORT OUT. Their port, warp and bondbreaker skills will appear like they are on cd. Given that you have snared them a trip should be easy to achieve.

Remember, while all of the above is happening, don't forget to POSITION youself nicely (i.e. FLANK them) and cast that Abyssal CURSED THORNS skill (whenever possible).

There are so many more scenarios. But in general, this is how you fight offensive melee.
    HINT: Your HELL SPEAR has a 15sec cd, DR Shrug it off = 24 sec. Your full on atk rotation starts from there.

More scenarios next time.

while i could support doomlord in plate , with katana

i am very UNSURE about the statement you survive their burst

not sure how is it on nazar but in eu erenor shortspear/longspear are back to beeing broken af and has a 6 second cooldown on the -10k pdef proc , and 4-5 more from the normal gear

i am not sure how u can survive burst with 4k or 0 k pdef from a normal 1.5k melee attack dr.
    BRING BACK UNCAPPED 1v1 #ARENAGATE

Quote Originally Posted by Neglect View Post
    As I said, Doomlord: http://archeagecalculator.com/?a=071CG7Izfsm318

ABYSSAL SKILL: Occultism

A FEW POINTERS:
    -You can switch a few skillpoints here and there but the overall build in general is there
    -this build is on a BUDGET (if you want to upgrade, just switch to the next tier gear and regrade buff)
    -EPIC Weapon with MAGIC stat is non-negotiable (this is the bare minimum). If you can do better then good for you

The sustain (given you are up against similar GS opponents -give or take a few hundred here and there- and skills somewhat equal)

Against DR (offensive melee):
    1. Always keep him in your field of vision (i.e. ALWAYS IN FRONT OF YOUR SIGHT)
    2. You have 2 skills to mitigate his atks, either Focus or Redoubt (pick one or use both at the same time or dont pop any at all bcoz by default you already have 58% melee dmg mitigation). Experience will teach you what will be best to use in given situations.
    3. The DR will try to TRIP, FLANK or BURST YOU from the front (let's call these 123 ATKS). More often they will opt for the first 2, if that fails, they opt for the 3rd. Now included in the 123ATKS are stun, slows, snares, shackle and bleeds. The DR will choose to apply these when you are most vulnerable (when you are TRIPPED or FLANKED).
    4. So REMEDY to #3 = refer to #1
    5. But the DR is so fast and always manages to TRIP and/or FLANK me. Refer to #2. Know WHEN to pop your melee mitigation skills (again, this gets better wth practice and/or experience.

Now that you've mastered items #1 to #5. You are ready to do some counterplay.
    ***IMPORTANT: always apply buffs pre start of fight and in open world whenever possible.

1. While the DR keeps BURSTING (hopefully you are no longer flanked or tripped now). Atk him with Crippling Mire + Boastful Roar.
    -while you get to mitigate some, if not all, the DR's atks, he wont be mitigating your magic atk. Most DRs will retreat to negate your combo atk.

2. Let's say the DR doesn't teleport or warp away from your Crippling Mire + Boastful Roar, add Lightning Triple Slash to your atks (as many as possible). Once Crippling Mire ends (and DR didnt negate it by moving away), they get stunned. At this point, DR will either Shrug It Off or not. If they Shrug It Off, apply Crippling Mire again (this has a 6 sec cd while you have URGENCY buff, always use this when able. This is your basic magic atk, this sets you apart from the other melee bruisers). Proceed to melee fight for the next 6 secs (just about time your Crippling Mire comes off cd), then use Mist Hell Spear. DR is IMPALED. Pop Mist Summon Wraith, Crippiling Mire and all your melee atk rotations (preferably melee atks with snare resulting into trips). This is a LOCKDOWN. If you applied the melee with snare atk while the wraith was summoned, DR WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PORT OUT. Their port, warp and bondbreaker skills will appear like they are on cd. Given that you have snared them a trip should be easy to achieve.

Remember, while all of the above is happening, don't forget to POSITION youself nicely (i.e. FLANK them) and cast that Abyssal CURSED THORNS skill (whenever possible).

There are so many more scenarios. But in general, this is how you fight offensive melee.
    HINT: Your HELL SPEAR has a 15sec cd, DR Shrug it off = 24 sec. Your full on atk rotation starts from there.

More scenarios next time.
    This is it. I'm going to play doomlord again.
    This is an awesome article and you should do more of these. Absolutly juicy stuff. Thank you!

But as a leather melee user I would highly recommend this build for doomlord:

http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/479416

or this if you want to be useful in naval combat too (tbh stillness is redundant as u already get fear immunity from retribution)

http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/479417

Quote Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
    while i could support doomlord in plate , with katana

i am very UNSURE about the statement you survive their burst

not sure how is it on nazar but in eu erenor shortspear/longspear are back to beeing broken af and has a 6 second cooldown on the -10k pdef proc , and 4-5 more from the normal gear

i am not sure how u can survive burst with 4k or 0 k pdef from a normal 1.5k melee attack dr.
    Trade redoubt for DR's leech (they kind of have to) and you will almost never take a DR's burst assuming defense tree + shield. I understand slow reflexes or high ping is a completely different game but defense tree rarely takes a DR's burst and also has a moderate heal to recover probably 30% of it anyway.
    Zeferres | 7.6k GS Blade Dancer/Dawncaller, Crit Fetishist, Seeker of Solo/Duo Challenges
    Recent Challenges | Mistsong Hard Mode Duo: Taris, Dochul, Sojung, AriaMorpheus SoloEtc...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast