+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do focus really matter to archers?

Do focus really matter to archers?

There are a few threads on the subject, it seems like a few think it does, while a good number believe it doesn't matter at all, and to focus make a difference, you need a high number.

I ask, because recently my Ranged Costumed rolled 750 of focus, and I do appear to be getting evaded and missing less, but I have no idea if that's a placebo effect.
    Darkrunners, Darkrunners everywhere... -- Dead Enigmatist

Focus is the most important stat for your DPS. Without focus and with crit damage instead, you can do decent burst damage when you hit stuff... but will find your skills often being avoided (especially snipe).

In most cases, focus gems are better against pretty much every target.
    Refer to this specific post for the detailed explanation, if you care to dig deeper into it
    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...=1#post2623633
    Member of New Horizon
    & Founder/Leader of <Aurum>/<Vortex>

Kyprosa Server
    Discord Contact: Cohiba#1706

Focus

I am an abolisher from Morphious with 43,000 hp, a passive parry of 40.1, and passive block of 30.1 all before buffs, trigger passives, etc. I can tell you as an expert at being kicked in the nuts, without focus you will almost never land a hit on me. We have tested this extensively, the penetration of focus is %based so scales vs your targets %defenses so while most have values of 40 or less in any of the 3 passive defenses (block, parry, evade) a 20% or so chance to bypass any given defense may not seem like much, but vs me with redoubt and a passive proc pushing my block to over 83% it gives you a chance to land a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithhex View Post
    I am an abolisher from Morphious with 43,000 hp, a passive parry of 40.1, and passive block of 30.1 all before buffs, trigger passives, etc. I can tell you as an expert at being kicked in the nuts, without focus you will almost never land a hit on me. We have tested this extensively, the penetration of focus is %based so scales vs your targets %defenses so while most have values of 40 or less in any of the 3 passive defenses (block, parry, evade) a 20% or so chance to bypass any given defense may not seem like much, but vs me with redoubt and a passive proc pushing my block to over 83% it gives you a chance to land a hit.
    An archer shouldn't be shooting you in the first place so it's kind of a moot point. Focus is important, the debate has always been around how much focus is enough.

I do not know what you mean by 'penetration of focus is %based so scales vs your targets %defenses'. It doesn't scale at all, its a flat reduction of the target's avoidance, applied to each pool separately. Perhaps that's what you mean, but when you use terms like penetration and defenses it makes it sound like you are talking about defense pen and not focus.

And I'm sure the shot that lands will make all the difference in your 43k HP. It'll probably get you down to 42,987. How can you possibly believe anyone makes their gear decisions based on you? An archer's best hope when faced with you is to just run.

That's completely false information. One point of focus straight up reduces all avoidance stats (block, parry and evasion) by 0.0025% each.
    Therefore with 2000 Focus you reduce the enemies' block, parry and evasion by 5% each.
    Check the thread I linked above....
    Focus is definitely not a %-reduction at all.
    Member of New Horizon
    & Founder/Leader of <Aurum>/<Vortex>

Kyprosa Server
    Discord Contact: Cohiba#1706

Quote Originally Posted by Kashi View Post
    And I'm sure the shot that lands will make all the difference in your 43k HP. It'll probably get you down to 42,987. How can you possibly believe anyone makes their gear decisions based on you? An archer's best hope when faced with you is to just run.
    this game is all about endgame pvp. (for some it's zerg vs. zerg. for me it's 1v1... especially when talking about an abolisher as target).
    So basically you HAVE to make the gear decision referring to the top geared people.
    (not talking about that his calculation is correctly since it's wrong.. Cohiba has posted the right thread above)

edit: I'm sad that my merged server isn't going to make me meet cohiba in pvp

No focus dont matter for archers ppl who gem focus on their weapons just want gs or cant afford the crit gems , crit archer kils ppl .. focus archer dont do dmaage ( focus only works on melee weapons not on your bow )

Quote Originally Posted by IDrakath View Post
    No focus dont matter for archers ppl who gem focus on their weapons just want gs or cant afford the crit gems , crit archer kils ppl .. focus archer dont do dmaage ( focus only works on melee weapons not on your bow )
    i personally like crit more, but there was testing done by quillodon to show that focus does work on ranged attacks in the archer thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast