+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returning Player + 1 New Player!

Smile Returning Player + 1 New Player!

As the title says, I'm a returning player, but it might be better to just consider me entirely new. I played on the alpha and the beta, but left the game when it launched officially. I've decided to give it another try with a friend of mine who has never heard of the game before, but we're both fish out of water and I'd appreciate any answers or tips I could get!

For the most part, I think it will just be the two of us, so are there specific classes/combos that go well together? We want to do trading in the game, so if there's anything that will help us defend ourselves while we sail from continent to continent with trade packs, that'd be preferable.

Is land still an issue? I left when it was impossible to find places to put down farms or farmhouses, but if there are less crowded servers now, we'd like to pick one of those so we can play Harvest Moon: Ocean Edition. We're also clueless about the overall community for each server, if one is particularly notorious or not, etc... Are there specific ones that are better than others in terms of friendliness?

I logged back into the game for an hour or two and was confused with all the new additions, but I think those questions are the most important for us starting out. Any help would be appreciated. ^^

If you're planning on doing overseas packs, it's really going to depend more on your preparations more than anything else. Really high-level players will have gliders or ships that let them board your ship easily and have both the damage and the skill to kill you without taking a scratch.

But assuming you're not one-shotted, you'll probably want at least one person with CC from sets like Occultism and Witchcraft because you need to keep the players away from your sails and such. The driver will have a buff for reduced damage, so they can just focus on driving away. A healer may also be useful because of that.

For lower-level PvE, just pick whatever you want with at least 1 DPS tree. For general use, Shadowplay is a very popular tree because it has combos with every DPS tree and useful skills like Stealth.

Land isn't as big an issue as it used to be because they added more housing zones (and two very large zones dedicated for housing).

You're coming in at a kind of bumpy time. The lower-population Legacy servers are being combined into new servers, so everyone will be clueless about the general communities for now since players are going to be moving around (and are moving around as we speak with complimentary transfers).

For new players, the fresh-start servers are always suggested because well...most new players end up getting funneled there by others. With the Legacy servers after the merge, I think Conviction will probably have a "nicer" community (albeit less PvP activity and population) because it's combining a bunch of relatively "peaceful" servers.

The trade system has had some major changes happen recently. The in-land trade runs still run the same way functionally, but there have been small changes. Quality Certificates aren't required for packs anymore, there's just a flat crafting fee instead. All in-land trade packs have to be turned in at Trade Outlets, which are located on coastal parts of the continent, rather than whatever zone you choose. So in-land trade routes have become more straightforward (and the value has been somewhat buffed as well).

Traditional overseas trade runs no longer exist. Instead, you get overseas packs from Trade Outlets. Once a certain ratio of in-land packs are turned into the Trade Outlet, it produces Cargo packs. You can purchase these Cargo packs for gold and a Cargo Certificate (around 30g+, but the more Cargo packs are in the Trade Outlet, the lower their price will be). Transporting these Cargo packs overseas will allow you to sell them for gold (around 60g+).

The Cargo packs that get turned in overseas become Certified Cargo. These ones can be purchased for gold and a Cargo Certificate as well, but they're turned into places in-land for charcoal.

It's a bit confusing at first, so I'll try to sum it up for you

In-land packs (T1 packs) work pretty much the same way. You just turn them in at Trade Outlets now (located in Solzreed, Cinderstone Moore, and Two Crowns for Nuia, Solis Headlands, Villanelle, and Ynystere for Haranya, Diamond Shores for Auroria).

Cargo and Certified Cargo packs (T2 and T3 packs) can be bought at the Trade Outlets if they're available for gold. If it's a same-faction cargo, it goes overseas for gold (or Dragon Stabilizers are Freedich). If it's a different-faction cargo, it gets transported in-land for charcoal.

So for example, if you're on the Haranya side:
    Haranyan Cargo = T2 = overseas for gold.
    Nuian Cargo = T3 = in-land for charcoal.

Lastly, Cargo Certificates are bought with Vocation Badges or through the Auction House. It is recommended that you form or join a Family so you can do Family quests for Vocation Badges. There is also a daily Family quest that lets you turn in for charcoal, but without any Labor cost.

The trade changes have been controversial, especially because some of the servers haven't really adjusted well to the changes. The intent was to make overseas trade a bit more lucrative and concise (you can get 30g profit for transporting just one pack instead of multiple), while charcoal production is a bit more controlled. The progression atm is like in the past though, you should start with T1 packs to gain gold, then work your way into buying T2/T3 packs whenever they pop up at the Outlet. At the moment, T2 packs are pretty much guaranteed profit while profit for T3 packs will vary depending on how low the price was.

That's quite a bit to take in, but thank you very much for the info! It does seem incredibly different from what I'm used to. When I played, you either traded your packs in for Gilda Stars or for gold, and getting Gilda Stars was almost always better, at least for us. I think it's something that I'm just going to need to actually see for me to properly understand, with the cargo and charcoal.

I took a look at what you mean, and you're absolutely right. This is a really strange time for us to be hopping in, but I'm glad to hear that the population issues aren't as bad as they were. At least for now, we'll probably stick with Conviction then. We both like PvP, but our focus is definitely on other aspects of the game for now, at least until we have a better idea of what we're doing and get used to the game's controls again. Personally, I'm just looking forward to being out on the ocean again. Even if the trading is different now, that is what I'm most excited to be doing in the game.

+ Reply to Thread