Closed Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Archeage Team post in this thread.   Thread: NA Servers launch info

Quote Originally Posted by Kemekochi View Post
    and another half hour after that?
    lol no
    ChunkyHippo

2.   Click here to go to the next Archeage Team post in this thread.   #52
    ArcheAge Associate Producer Celestrata Bloodsong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahlon View Post
    This is just my $.02 but after all of this is over, Trion should develop a Press Release for why all of their server hardware is so antiquated that it takes this long to perform a restart.

Now, I know the first off the cuff response is going to be "well it's not just a single server its more complicated than that."

To which I will respond "I know"

However, CCP (Eve Online) can manage to restart their system every day like clockwork. The size of their system is massive in comparison to the Archeage System.

What I think would calm the players down a lot more than

We are launching at noon

Oh...we have to restart... 1230

Oh restart failed 1300

Would be to explain WHY it takes so long to get the system up and running.
    *cracks knuckles*

So ArcheAge servers aren't like Eve Online servers. They are still extremely powerful and they actually start quite quickly, but they are networks of machines that work together in order to form a server. Each region of the machine handles a separate area of the map in a server, which we call a Zone server. These zone servers work together in order to form one "server" that you log into, called a World. Beyond that, there are servers that are specifically dedicated to the Auction House, dubbed the Auction Cluster.

Behind that is also a separate server to handle the entire region, the game's database for each server, and the login servers (called Auth for short.) All of these servers listen to one another and hand off information to one another to control the run of the region. This is also why when we have to make major changes to the game's structure, even with one server, the other servers can't stay online. There are shared resources like region, auction cluster, auth, and database that need to be changed in order to effectively communicate across the system.

There are also places in the system where the ArcheAge servers and the technology surrounding them, which are built by XLGAMES, touch the Trion Glyph Platform service. Glyph is what runs all of Trion's products, and it's how we administrate our games. This bridge is necessary for everything to function in our system, and the bridge differs from publisher to publisher. You mentioned EVE Online -- they don't have a similar bridge because they are all developed in house. In that way, Trove/Rift are more similar to EVE -- they were made to be integrated into Glyph and our back-end services from the get go. ArcheAge was not, and had to be adapted for it.

So, when the game is brought up, region, server masters, database, auth, and a few other servers that I didn't mention (billing, for example) need to all come online and begin talking to one another. Once their connections are complete, the server masters begin spinning up their dedicated zones, forming the world. As zones come online, the NPCs, monsters, and events for those regions begin initializing. You can see it on the server as the blank landscape slowly becomes populated by the required beings of Archeage.

Once enough zones are loaded, our team goes in and begins to validate pieces of the game to make sure they're running appropriately. Things like, "are there monsters," or "can I earn labor after 10 minutes," or "can I retrieve things from my mailbox." So, while the restart process is fast, there's a human process on top in order to verify that the game has initialized correctly and is running as expected.

In the case of today's delay, the game was ready for all of you to enter. BUT, we wanted to fix the sovereign issue first, and that required a DB script to be run and the servers to be restarted. That resulted in the initial delay.

The second delay was because a few of the old database servers for Ollo, Kraken, and others came back alive due to a environment start call that rebooted them. Once they were alive, they were attempting to reach out the logging servers that didn't exist, thus resulting in a full set of crashes that prevented the environment from correctly initializing. We caught that error pretty fast and corrected it, shutting everything down and restarting the full process.

Ultimately, a restart can be completed in about 20 minutes. Had we not gotten halfway through the restart, we would have gotten this done faster and then gotten through our validations even quicker. But, the restart forced a delay, which also forced the validation to be delayed.

-OR-

TL;DR -- well it's not just a single server its more complicated than that.
    Seraphina "Celestrata" Brennan
    Associate Producer, ArcheAge
    Scheherazade -- Morpheus <Haranya Preservation Society>

Looking for help? Contact our support team! | Visit the website for the latest news
    | Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Why cant this be done on a weekday? So you guys don't have to work on the weekend, and we can play on the weekend?

WHO CARES WHAT ORDER.

As for when they are coming up, the original post here:
    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...=1#post2636194
    says anytime from 1200PM to 400PM PDT.

Poeples need to research and READ.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestrata Bloodsong View Post
    *cracks knuckles*

So ArcheAge servers aren't like Eve Online servers. They are still extremely powerful and they actually start quite quickly, but they are networks of machines that work together in order to form a server. Each region of the machine handles a separate area of the map in a server, which we call a Zone server. These zone servers work together in order to form one "server" that you log into, called a World. Beyond that, there are servers that are specifically dedicated to the Auction House, dubbed the Auction Cluster.

Behind that is also a separate server to handle the entire region, the game's database for each server, and the login servers (called Auth for short.) All of these servers listen to one another and hand off information to one another to control the run of the region. This is also why when we have to make major changes to the game's structure, even with one server, the other servers can't stay online. There are shared resources like region, auction cluster, auth, and database that need to be changed in order to effectively communicate across the system.

So, when the game is brought up, region, server masters, database, auth, and a few other servers that I didn't mention (billing, for example) need to all come online and begin talking to one another. Once their connections are complete, the server masters begin spinning up their dedicated zones, forming the world. As zones come online, the NPCs, monsters, and events for those regions begin initializing. You can see it on the server as the blank landscape slowly becomes populated by the required beings of Archeage.

Once enough zones are loaded, our team goes in and begins to validate pieces of the game to make sure they're running appropriately. Things like, "are there monsters," or "can I earn labor after 10 minutes," or "can I retrieve things from my mailbox." So, while the restart process is fast, there's a human process on top in order to verify that the game has initialized correctly and is running as expected.

In the case of today's delay, the game was ready for all of you to enter. BUT, we wanted to fix the sovereign issue first, and that required a DB script to be run and the servers to be restarted. That resulted in the initial delay.

The second delay was because a few of the old database servers for Ollo, Kraken, and others came back alive due to a environment start call that rebooted them. Once they were alive, they were attempting to reach out the logging servers that didn't exist, thus resulting in a full set of crashes that prevented the environment from correctly initializing. We caught that error pretty fast and corrected it, shutting everything down and restarting the full process.

Ultimately, a restart can be completed in about 20 minutes. Had we not gotten halfway through the restart, we would have gotten this done faster and then gotten through our validations even quicker. But, the restart forced a delay, which also forced the validation to be delayed.

-OR-

why do you have to make it so complicated? All I have to do is click on the ArcheAge button on my desktop
    ChunkyHippo

*cracks knuckles*

There are also places in the system where the ArcheAge servers and the technology surrounding them, which are built by XLGAMES, touch the Trion Glyph Platform service. Glyph is what runs all of Trion's products, and it's how we administrate our games. This bridge is necessary for everything to function in our system, and the bridge differs from publisher to publisher. You mentioned EVE Online -- they don't have a similar bridge because they are all developed in house. In that way, Trove/Rift are more similar to EVE -- they were made to be integrated into Glyph and our back-end services from the get go. ArcheAge was not, and had to be adapted for it.

-OR-

That was good.
    #SheepieLives!

*cracks knuckles*
    SNIP%< [/B]
    Cracking kanuckles is bad for fingers joints.

Amazing what you can find when you search for "Server Transfers". First item will list the info you require

@Celestrata,

Now that is a nice answer. How is the character data managed? Is that stored in flat files and backed up with change tracking or check ins? Or is it stored in a database like mysql?

OLLO tried to respawn. LOL Long live OLLO

cool TY for the explanation Celestrata. You and Muzzy rock Great work today

Oh did see a post of Bigdatadude, props brother!
    Love this game. Find me on Conviction server Villanelle Province / Hyranya as"Treefarmer" or Trionworlds Twitch Livestreams of Archeage as "SolefireArcheage"

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast