+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Archeage Team post in this thread.   Thread: Archeage - New Players and Why They Quit - Episode 1 of "Problems with Archeage"

Archeage - New Players and Why They Quit - Episode 1 of "Problems with Archeage"

Im making a series which I will be uploading onto Youtube, this is the first episode which is about new players and why a lot of them quit.
    I mainly focus on the PvP side of the game and touch on the Dungeons but generally speaking, if I talked about every issue the video would be an hour long.

Hopefully this will let a few people learn a few new things about the decline in the playerbase but overall its mostly something I just need to get off my chest.
    Ive been passionate about the game for 3 years and I want it to be successful and active so much so I can continue enjoying the game I love but until some things are changed, I cant see it lasting forever.

2.   This is the last Archeage Team post in this thread.   #2
    ArcheAge Community Manager
    I'll be watching these.

I have a bit of advice, or maybe just a suggestion. You have a ton of knowledge and insight. With this, you can provide a lot of help to new players (such as myself).

Instead of coming at this from a negative standpoint, consider using that substantial knowledge to enlighten new players - give them tips on what NOT to do. I'll admit, the game doesn't do a good job of explaining itself to a new player. I struggled, but once I started asking questions, I learned a lot that accelerated my progress. You said a few things in this video that were incredibly useful and I wish I had heard when I was just starting.

You've got a lot of good ideas here, and I'm interested in seeing the good discussion it brings so that I can put it together into a report to send to XL. You say that new players are the lifeblood of a game. Consider that the way the community presents itself to them has a major impact on those new players. Contributing to the community by way of teaching is a fantastic way to help bring in and keep new players.

I'm not saying this video is ignorable - on the contrary. It's actually got a lot of potential to create discussion in the forums and among the community. Suggestions on how to 'fix aa' are fantastic, however often times the community will get caught up on the details of why a specific suggestion will or won't work, when what really needs to happen is just identifying the underlying root of the issue for XL to consider when approaching a tweak or overhaul.

Just for a newish perspective, I've been playing for about 670-ish hours and have a 4.1 k gs. I felt the pain of not being able to participate in PvP or major world bosses, but it gave me something to aim for. I worked hard, got gold, bought items, regraded some. I have decided not to do any gemming because I'm waiting for the new gem system in 4.0, so my GS will suffer until then. I did halcy with 3k gs and had a blast, even if I died a lot. I purposely didn't join a guild until last month because I realized that most new players would also be in that situation (and also because I was trying to avoid claims of favoritism), so now I understand the new player condition much more. Since joining a guild, the world has opened up to me. I still get rekt, but I have way more to do and much more fun with it. I'm being tutored and asking tons of questions. It's a much better experience. If I had control, I'd find ways to more strongly incentivize guilds picking up newer players and teaching them. I STILL don't know all the systems in the game, but over the past 4 months the amount of new information continues to be staggering - in an exciting kind of way. I know I can't hang with the big boys, but there there are still plenty of adventures for me to have.

I watched a bunch of AA teaching videos and they were a source of encouragement in the face of a system that doesn't pander to new players. Maybe your videos could shift gear and provide that kind of support to the community as well? I know I'd appreciate it. And I'd be happy to share good instructional/tip videos with the community via blogs, social networks, and livestreams.

Here's to the community becoming the best PR the game could ask for, as it's already the most powerful PR the game has.

Cheers,
    Muzzy

Why archeage doesn't keep players.

1) One of the most toxic communities to newcomers on the market, no one wants to help (if you even see anyone chatting on world chat). You are more likely to be spawn camped and forced into shadowplay for stealth to escape, than you are to get decent and informative advice.

2) It's the most P2W game on the market, there is no other game where using a credit card is mandatory (other than perfect world international)

3) There are next to no community activities pre-5k gs

4) The gap between new and old players is indefinite, for every minute you are offline or haven't played. Is a minute you will never have to catch up, archeage literally needs your life.

5) Server economies are controlled by the big spenders, a new player looks at the auction house. Sees one piece of gear for 30,000 gold (8 months of grind) and logs out.

6) player retention ....... Mass server merges, fresh start just to cash in on land rush hype. There is a reason archeage has so few servers and PvP is next to zero.

7) The 100% control guilds have on end game content. With the ability to completely lock down any content, guilds are quite literally suffocating the influx of players.

8) Walling in progression. Labour points and time caps are a dated mechanism used to slow progress (or in the original case, to limit play time due to Asian laws), this makes my previous point of "one minute out is one minute lost" even harder for players to catch up.

9) Complete changes to game mechanic. The new play grinds it out for 6 month, they get their larders, animal pens, car, merchant ships or freighter. In one update the game can make the last 6 month useless by changing completely how something works. This has happened a lot of times.

10) Trions bad reputation. There used to be a time (When rift launched) that trion was looked at as a great developer/publisher with a great game and ideas. When trion picked up archeage, the company direction changed, they became greedy and closed off to the community ...... Ask anyone now about trion ......... 9/10 players will tell you the same thing, they have completely lost MMO players trust

11) The game is just frustrating to new players, the amount of grind and repetition is HUGE!! It gets to a point where you just do the same activity for hours and hours. The game outside of mind numbing trade runs for 8 hours with the odd mist/abby break has practically no content.

I would love archeage to become a great game again, but it has sadly gone to far to one side. The limitations and pressure to spend real money to get a good start in the game is just to much for most players. There are way to many limitations stopping you from progressing or to catch up the the populace of you chosen server that its disheartening. I used to main a 7k gs character, i check back in to see if things have changed .... Not much really ... Oh there is a new 150 bundle with exclusive item to buy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marley View Post
    Why archeage doesn't keep players.

1) One of the most toxic communities to newcomers on the market, no one wants to help (if you even see anyone chatting on world chat). You are more likely to be spawn camped and forced into shadowplay for stealth to escape, than you are to get decent and informative advice.

2) It's the most P2W game on the market, there is no other game where using a credit card is mandatory (other than perfect world international)

3) There are next to no community activities pre-5k gs

4) The gap between new and old players is indefinite, for every minute you are offline or haven't played. Is a minute you will never have to catch up, archeage literally needs your life.

5) Server economies are controlled by the big spenders, a new player looks at the auction house. Sees one piece of gear for 30,000 gold (8 months of grind) and logs out.

6) player retention ....... Mass server merges, fresh start just to cash in on land rush hype. There is a reason archeage has so few servers and PvP is next to zero.

7) The 100% control guilds have on end game content. With the ability to completely lock down any content, guilds are quite literally suffocating the influx of players.

8) Walling in progression. Labour points and time caps are a dated mechanism used to slow progress (or in the original case, to limit play time due to Asian laws), this makes my previous point of "one minute out is one minute lost" even harder for players to catch up.

9) Complete changes to game mechanic. The new play grinds it out for 6 month, they get their larders, animal pens, car, merchant ships or freighter. In one update the game can make the last 6 month useless by changing completely how something works. This has happened a lot of times.

10) Trions bad reputation. There used to be a time (When rift launched) that trion was looked at as a great developer/publisher with a great game and ideas. When trion picked up archeage, the company direction changed, they became greedy and closed off to the community ...... Ask anyone now about trion ......... 9/10 players will tell you the same thing, they have completely lost MMO players trust

11) The game is just frustrating to new players, the amount of grind and repetition is HUGE!! It gets to a point where you just do the same activity for hours and hours. The game outside of mind numbing trade runs for 8 hours with the odd mist/abby break has practically no content.

I would love archeage to become a great game again, but it has sadly gone to far to one side. The limitations and pressure to spend real money to get a good start in the game is just to much for most players. There are way to many limitations stopping you from progressing or to catch up the the populace of you chosen server that its disheartening. I used to main a 7k gs character, i check back in to see if things have changed .... Not much really ... Oh there is a new 150 bundle with exclusive item to buy though.

to be honest you are doing one of the exact things that you are saying is scaring the new players from playing being dramatic about things (aka toxic community by screaming end of the world game sux etc.) . The game is not as pay to win as people think, back in my day p2w literally meant there was items on the cash shop you could not get else where therefore you had to pay to win. Anything on the cash shop you can get without using the cashshop, secondly if someone was going to buy a leg weapon with current prices where they are at they are looking at spending nearly 700 dollars. You think every single person who has a leg weapon and other gear spent 700, 300, etc on each piece? Not to mention even if trion didnt offer apex or other cash shop items, people would buy gold and its impossible to catch everyone look at any other mmo. Also 8 months to grind 30k gold? even if you ran 9 packs a day (one freighter) thats more than 34k in that 8 months if you are only doing that little a day you most likely do not care about end game pvp and such or gearing. Lets move on to what you brought up about labor, without labor think about all the things people could do infinitely, oh I just grinded out 20,000 coin purses, guess I can open all of them because there is no labor system to prevent me. Now you and 50 other joes just did the same thing, now that item you talk about that is 30k? guess what its 70k, now because of no labor caps you just made running packs useless because if an item is 70k who is gonna grind out 4666 packs? Labor is there to prevent inflation. Now game mechanics changing trion has no control over what so ever, I guarantee trion has went to XL and said this would 100% work better this way in our region because our players are sick of grinding and I bet XL just gives them a blank stare and shrugs them off. Has trion messed up yeah but lets not put the whole blame of the state of AA on them. Toxic players screaming end of world, people getting doxxed and harassed are some of the bigger problems. hell ive personally had people whisper me telling me they were going to come to my house and slit my throat, so yeah i blame the community more than anything
    <Mythic>
    <Fatality>

Quote Originally Posted by Taiver View Post
    Im making a series which I will be uploading onto Youtube, this is the first episode which is about new players and why a lot of them quit.
    I mainly focus on the PvP side of the game and touch on the Dungeons but generally speaking, if I talked about every issue the video would be an hour long.

Hopefully this will let a few people learn a few new things about the decline in the playerbase but overall its mostly something I just need to get off my chest.
    Ive been passionate about the game for 3 years and I want it to be successful and active so much so I can continue enjoying the game I love but until some things are changed, I cant see it lasting forever.

Few weeks ago I bashed one youtuber for making video called "Death of game". He read reddit, mentioned things which are not even true for 3 or more years and presented them as current problems of the game.

This video isnt like the one i criticized previously. Its mentioning real and current trouble the game has, but also its constructive.

Only thing I would mention is that its partially responsibility of guilds to initiate new players into game. I dragged one guildmate through GHA, and Hasla. He got some weapons that way and now has Tier 5 Divine bow (from Aria Autograph), which is a good starting point for PVP and PVE. It took just 3 weeks from start to get that bow.
    EU / Retribution / Haranya / <Bratrstvo> A hladame novych hracov...
    Austeran Judge / Member of the Crimson Watch / An ordinary cat / Curator of Museum
    As a species, we are capable of love, of wonder, of staggering feats of creativity and sensitivity. Yet at the highest, global level, these are not the sentiments which rule. Large scale human history can be seen, as much as anything else, as a series of titanic dramas with the single animating principle: we will ****ing kill you.

the game is p2win, and about what the Mr of trion says I think it is wrong.
    You are responsible for doing the advertising and managing guides for new users and giving you a safe way to develop them within the game.
    As people will not be frustrated if you do not give information about anything.
    It is one of the companies where most misinformation does.
    The little info that there is of AA is thanks to the users and it seems sad to me.

I'm one of those new players. A little over 3 months. And for me anyway, the game should be called "World of Farm Carts". Wearing my mis-gemmed Soulforged, delivering trade packs non-stop. I've got a month or two left to play the game, then it will likely be off to something else, as it really isn't possible to progress my character any further without big cash shop buys.

My roommate has watched me play Archeage for close to 3 years now, and he JUST started playing a month ago. Only thing I've helped him with has been family quests, and helped him through gha once. Other than that, he has largely been on his own, although he asks me questions about anything new he comes across. I don't have all the answers but I try and help. He has a farm wagon, a tidal bungalow, and about 1.2k gold, and has only done maybe 3 trade runs. He sits in the auction house, buying low, selling high, watching prices while waiting for his crops to grow. Didn't even join a guild until about 2 weeks ago. This game has a stiff learning curve because there isn't much information out there available, so it's our responsibility to try and help people whenever we can. However, that was also part of the thrill when I first played and from what I've seen, some of his most enjoyable times; new and unexpected things. I took him on his first fishing trip yesterday and completely forgot to mention the existence of ghost ships. Whoops! Shoulda seen the look on his face, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzy View Post
    If I had control, I'd find ways to more strongly incentivize guilds picking up newer players and teaching them.
    The only thing you need to do is marking new players as what they are: New players. I've been over one year recruiting "new players" just to help, all this to find out 80% of them are alts/spies. Guilds are willing to recruit new players, people usually love to teach (or to show off bigger knowledge) but they (and me) wont risk recruiting more alts. If you really want new players to get in nice guilds (not only those in which everyone just enters to get the buff) you should give them a mark, or maybe you should mark alts. You perfectly know if a player is alt or not (as was said before merge) you just need to add that knowledge to the game so everyone can see.

Quote Originally Posted by scannall View Post
    I'm one of those new players. A little over 3 months. And for me anyway, the game should be called "World of Farm Carts". Wearing my mis-gemmed Soulforged, delivering trade packs non-stop. I've got a month or two left to play the game, then it will likely be off to something else, as it really isn't possible to progress my character any further without big cash shop buys.
    What big cash shop buys do you think you really need?
    <Mythic>
    <Fatality>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast