+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on the games events and patches

This game was wonderous and surprising and tough when I think a lot of us started playing. I doubt many players still playing after years find much joy or surprise left now which is a sad failure of design and imagination from the team that delivers this product.

Making players content for each other works for a short time, but unlike RL, no one has to spend time in a game being aggravated or bored. And the sad part of this game - perhaps even for the long-time dominant - is that it grows boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Terelor View Post
    This game was wonderous and surprising and tough when I think a lot of us started playing. I doubt many players still playing after years find much joy or surprise left now which is a sad failure of design and imagination from the team that delivers this product.

Making players content for each other works for a short time, but unlike RL, no one has to spend time in a game being aggravated or bored. And the sad part of this game - perhaps even for the long-time dominant - is that it grows boring.
    Speaking of real life, real life has lots of new things all the time. New movies, new music, new theme parks, new rides.
    Ask yourself why people were not happy to watch the first movie made, over and over or why theme parks add new rides.
    Its because if you don't give people something new, they get bored with the old stuff after a while and will move on to something else.
    Its the same here unfortunately, with nothing substancial being added new, people move onto other games. I myself play several, I play on archeage for 1-3 hours a day when events are going on with friends but people keep leaving when they are bored, not everyone has the amount of free time that I do to play games all day and juggle several games.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiver View Post
    Speaking of real life, real life has lots of new things all the time. New movies, new music, new theme parks, new rides.
    Ask yourself why people were not happy to watch the first movie made, over and over or why theme parks add new rides.
    Its because if you don't give people something new, they get bored with the old stuff after a while and will move on to something else.
    Its the same here unfortunately, with nothing substancial being added new, people move onto other games. I myself play several, I play on archeage for 1-3 hours a day when events are going on with friends but people keep leaving when they are bored, not everyone has the amount of free time that I do to play games all day and juggle several games.
    The problem is that new content takes months and players get bored of it in 2 days. If you make systems to play with instead then it lats at least 4 days until someone puts out a spreadsheet that shows how crap the whole thing is and shows you the best choices. Then you are back to whining about nothing to do again.

As much as I've loved this game at times, my own feelings are ultimately the same, if for different reasons; things just got boring. My main focus in the game is PvP, but unless you join the dominant guild/nation/whatever, you're on the losing side at the end. I love piracy, but so few people take risky runs anymore that hunting adventures become hours of roaming around and catching clippers here and there.

I planned to quit when merges came just because I realized I was so bored with things that going through the effort of rebuilding wasn't worth it. I came back because I wanted to play with my guildies again, but a week or so later and I find myself spending very little time in game again. There's just not much to do when the vast majority of gameplay comes down to watching safe run hauler trains powered by alts all day and occasional PvP against overwhelming odds. The rare moments of genuine, fun competition are too few to be worth it.
    Rickie
    <Lusty Seabugs>
    Pirates Green of Nazar, Bastards of Lucius. Returned for AA:U as a filthy casual on Runert.

Never Say Die.

Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    The problem is that new content takes months and players get bored of it in 2 days. If you make systems to play with instead then it lats at least 4 days until someone puts out a spreadsheet that shows how crap the whole thing is and shows you the best choices. Then you are back to whining about nothing to do again.
    I think you are wrong on how long it takes for people to get bored of the content im asking for. I want a 10 man raid with mistsong difficulty tiers and I want the bosses to drop tier tokens for each difficulty and have a vending machine with different rewards you can buy with the tokens from each difficulty tier.
    This would be such an open ended system allowing huge amounts of items and different types of things to be added as rewards, it could be used to help new players cut the gear gap grind a bit and allow guilds to help their newer players and it would be something that could be used to keep the older, better geared players entertained by having rewards for the harder mode be stuff they would be interested in, like costumes, non break charms, mounts or gliders etc and you could even add enoan scraps to the machine as a way of allowing people to get them a little quicker.
    It wouldn't be something you could do in a couple days, the items could require more or less tokens depending on how long they want the grind to take for each item to not make anything overpowered and in future you can easily add new items to the rewards if you change stuff.
    Would give guilds a new fun activity to do as well outside of the stuff that weve been doing for ages and it would be a good first step towards solving some of archeages biggest problems like the gear gap.

I have a new thought. I am evolved to a new server, because as they say, the game requires certain populations to play.

But to do the Shadowgaurd boss, there is not room for everybody in the raid.

So we have increased the player population, but not increased the raid size to allow for the larger player population is what I am mentioning here.
    #SheepieLives!

Quote Originally Posted by Taiver View Post
    I think you are wrong on how long it takes for people to get bored of the content im asking for. I want a 10 man raid with mistsong difficulty tiers and I want the bosses to drop tier tokens for each difficulty and have a vending machine with different rewards you can buy with the tokens from each difficulty tier.
    This would be such an open ended system allowing huge amounts of items and different types of things to be added as rewards, it could be used to help new players cut the gear gap grind a bit and allow guilds to help their newer players and it would be something that could be used to keep the older, better geared players entertained by having rewards for the harder mode be stuff they would be interested in, like costumes, non break charms, mounts or gliders etc and you could even add enoan scraps to the machine as a way of allowing people to get them a little quicker.
    It wouldn't be something you could do in a couple days, the items could require more or less tokens depending on how long they want the grind to take for each item to not make anything overpowered and in future you can easily add new items to the rewards if you change stuff.
    Would give guilds a new fun activity to do as well outside of the stuff that weve been doing for ages and it would be a good first step towards solving some of archeages biggest problems like the gear gap.
    People would be complaining about how repetitive and boring it is in a week, maybe two tops. You'd probably be making videos about it week three. Instances are garbage content for an open world game and this game's PVE stuff is really terrible so why bother making more of it?

The game you want is called a 'rogue like'. You should look some up, there are tons of them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfred View Post
    I have a new thought. I am evolved to a new server, because as they say, the game requires certain populations to play.

But to do the Shadowgaurd boss, there is not room for everybody in the raid.

So we have increased the player population, but not increased the raid size to allow for the larger player population is what I am mentioning here.
    Make two raids, stop killing when you hit 10 mobs. You and probably get 600 people done in one rift if you people would actually stop at 10. The rift happens 6 times a day.

Merged raids are also coming, according to what Korea has... so 100 people at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Traciatim View Post
    Make two raids, stop killing when you hit 10 mobs. You and probably get 600 people done in one rift if you people would actually stop at 10. The rift happens 6 times a day.

Merged raids are also coming, according to what Korea has... so 100 people at a time.
    Please follow along. A game mechanic the requires everyone to stop at 10, voluntarily, is one that is likely to go wrong. Wouldn't you agree?

So in your example, people from opposite factions, nations, and guilds will all coordinate in a spirit of brotherhood, and will all know what to do and when, so that the event can be shared by all.
    Do you think that will work? And is it wise for a developer to count upon a number of unliklley behaviors, to make their game successful? I do not think so.

And as for what is "coming" my thinking is that forethought and 3 years experience should have resulted in it having already been done, beforehand. Because of thinking it through, ahead of time. Is that unreasonable?
    #SheepieLives!

Quote Originally Posted by Elfred View Post
    Please follow along. A game mechanic the requires everyone to stop at 10, voluntarily, is one that is likely to go wrong. Wouldn't you agree?

So in your example, people from opposite factions, nations, and guilds will all coordinate in a spirit of brotherhood, and will all know what to do and when, so that the event can be shared by all.
    Do you think that will work? And is it wise for a developer to count upon a number of unliklley behaviors, to make their game successful? I do not think so.

And as for what is "coming" my thinking is that forethought and 3 years experience should have resulted in it having already been done, beforehand. Because of thinking it through, ahead of time. Is that unreasonable?
    You don't need everyone to cooperate, there are probably 200 mobs, so in a perfect world you could get 20 raids done per rift, realistically because people are greedy idiots (even though they get nothing and hurt others) most people won't pay attention and just madly kill everything they see until the end. Which means if your faction works together you should easily be able to get 2 or 3 raids finished each rift. You can only work with the mechanics. We all understand that XL are really terrible event designers that think very little about users sanity, but you should be able to spam command chat for people to stop killing at 10 mobs and get a couple of raids completed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast