+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the bad Draw Distance... for Balance??

Question Is the bad Draw Distance... for Balance??

I have been watching some of the great Streamers play the last few days. Commonly, eventually, either the Streamers comment themselves or someone in chat asks... "What's with all the pop in?" or "Can you increase draw distance?".

Most simply say... "because, Alpha" but they don't get the fact that this is a game that is out in 2 regions, so graphics are pretty much set for the game. It's also Cryengine and anyone (including me) who has worked with it in Dev knows that users can crank that stuff to Super-Computer levels if they want.

So maybe it's on purpose -- so players can't see ships coming before others with lower end systems. It was the Ships Radar that made me twig to this. I know I can set systems to render to the distance that a ship is just a pixel high... and its more than 800m.

Doubt it. Maybe its a cryengine limit *highly doubt it*
    Probably a stability thing.

Those saying its because of alpha. IS it this way on RU? KR? JP?
    If its the same there, it clearly isn't a ALPHA specific thing.

The ship aspect is the only thing that really makes sense to me.
    Head of Phoenix
    From the ashes we rise!

Forum Guide writer.
    Always looking for suggestions!
    My work so far:
    [Guide] Ins and Outs of Guild Creation
    [Guide & FAQ] Pre-Beta Can you Run AA!

Yeah Alakuu, definitely not the CryEngine.

Just to make it clear, unless they are working with a very strange version, Cryengine DOES NOT have that limitation. A draw distance locked to max as close as we have seen it, is imposed.

Almost makes me wonder if its to set a standard of performance. But than again they let you change texture quality and other stuff.

Actually!!! If its cryengine, can we access the actual game settings file an bump up view distance?
    Probably against the rules, but if someone asks trion and they say thats fine I'd make a guide on it even!!!
    Head of Phoenix
    From the ashes we rise!

Forum Guide writer.
    My work so far:

Quote Originally Posted by Alakuu View Post
    Doubt it. Maybe its a cryengine limit *highly doubt it*
    Probably a stability thing.

Those saying its because of alpha. IS it this way on RU? KR? JP?
    If its the same there, it clearly isn't a ALPHA specific thing.

The ship aspect is the only thing that really makes sense to me.
    Can confirm that on RU there is a maximum draw distance for objects and players; and while I can't confirm that this is for balance, I am 99% sure it is.

Honestly, what would be the point of a ship radar (merchant and galleon ships have it that allow you to see friendly and enemy ships 800-1000m away) if you could just see them without the radar.
    RU Open Beta Character Info:
    Server Джин
    Level 50 Paladin (Warfare, Protection, Devotion)
    Level 20 Renegade (Necromancy, Devotion, Conjuration)

Server Даута
    Level 50 Hunter (Archery, Finesse, Protection)

Any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or ping me on Skype!

Quote Originally Posted by Fook View Post
    Can confirm that on RU there is a maximum draw distance for objects and players; and while I can't confirm that this is for balance, I am 99% sure it is.

Honestly, what would be the point of a ship radar (merchant and galleon ships have it that allow you to see friendly and enemy ships 800-1000m away) if you could just see them without the radar.
    Fook I understand you might not have alpha access. But if you get the chance watch a few streams and see if you can't distinguish if the draw distances are about equal between RU and US.
    I've been trying to do the same between RU and US streams, but gaa for the life of me I can't tell.
    Head of Phoenix
    From the ashes we rise!

Forum Guide writer.
    My work so far:

I don't want to suggest messing with the settings configs or anything in case thats a huge no-no. Unfortunately one of the best ways to tweak the Cryengine for your specific computer is by editing the configs.

Pretty sure it's related to networking optimization. Conventionally, it doesn't make sense for the server to send information about other players or game entities so far away from your current position. Obviously it's a different situation in ArcheAge, but don't expect to see any changes any time soon.

The draw distance IS deliberately set low. It makes the world seem larger and is needed for pvp (or ppl would just avoid it).

I have draw distance in options set to max. I have the same draw distance in all 3 versions (KR, RU and Alpha).

So maybe it's on purpose
    it is, in ob we gona kill the server, you gona see it, because 2k+ people in one place and its gona go dowwwwwwwnn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast