+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is the bad Draw Distance... for Balance??

Really hate pop-in, I hope they consider allowing a bigger draw distance if your rig can handle it.
    [[ archeagefurniture.com || SUBMIT SCREENSHOTS!! <3 ]]
    >> GUIDES: | All Available Houses (screenshots, prices and more) | Housing 101 (how to buy, build, maintain) |
    | Also walkthroughs for obtaining Small & Large Scarecrows and Donkey -- both East and West! |
    | JUBILEE (siren) & RUSE (elementalist) | Ollo | Lords of the Dead |

Very few MMOS have massive draw distance for a reason. It's network optimization.

A higher draw distance would be awesome. But at the same time I understand why it would be set to low and am okay with it.

Id like a larger draw distance. Maybe just 2000m extra would be perfect in my opinion.
    The Oran'Thul
    http://www.oranthul.com
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

Network Optimisation isn't a good enough excuse when you know how it can work (caveat being I don't know what compromises the devs had to make in their network environment - Korea etc).

Doesn't excuse pop-in for art assets at all, but it looks like they use a bubble around the player for everything with an indiscreet cut-off for all levels of assets. Which still screams balance not optimisation.

You know the pop-in is too close when a ship appears and it's in range a second later. Radar use notwithstanding if this game goes big in Western regions I know it's going to be an issue. For example, if you measure the pop-in distance and have a fleet trail a bait/Scout ship just out of the range, you can literally ambush everything.

Current draw distance workouts ok for now. It makes intercepting tradeships easier if u have advance scouting, also mass ganks are quite fun when 50players raid just comes out of nothing to gank.
    Black snake is evil. Black snake is all I see.

It gets hard when you are 2 speedboats going past each other, you pop into view and are gone really quickly cause of the speed of each ship.
    "Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Could be limited for alpha

Quote Originally Posted by madmaru View Post
    It gets hard when you are 2 speedboats going past each other, you pop into view and are gone really quickly cause of the speed of each ship.
    I made this thread because of multitwitching two Streamers who met up on the ocean. Both could not see each other until about 50 meters from each other, ie couple of boat lengths. Both streamers have Beast computers, and had already been talking about pop-in and max settings etc. That said I think once you come into each other view once, you can get further from each other before vanishing again, but can't really confirm.

I figure its a network optimization thing but I have wondered if its intended for game design reasons. If they control the draw distance then everyone is on a even playing field for enemy visibility in pvp, if that makes sense.
    Its only a thought but it has come to mind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast