+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bug or just Outdated? Pets not affected by Resilience/Toughness!

Bug or just Outdated? Pets not affected by Resilience/Toughness!

Hello, there~

I've been reaching a pretty good threshold on my own gear - However, as I've posted before, I'm somewhat wanting a real companion with me - Not just a powerstone pet that floats and watches me do all the work! Recently, I started trying to gem and frost my favorite pet's gear, however after some extensive testing (Thanks Gamepro03) we've come to the factual conclusion that neither Resilience or Toughness, the two big pvp-survival stats, are utilized at all for battle-pets. As can be referenced by the following two:

This gave my battle-pet a total of 670 Toughness and 1400 Resilience, both amounts that should have done something to incoming player-based damage (testing autoattacks and triple slash, comparing non-crits and crits alike).

Now, unfortunately I lack the current in-game funds to test further amounts (for example, a pet helmet full of +300 toughness Hero Gems, or fully-gemming chest+shoes with T2 resilience gems), but even the smaller-scale testings have yielded extraordinarily disappointing results: That the amounts seem to have no effect whatsoever!

My primary concern in this, is that players get an 'unfair' advantage in fighting pets, due in part to their 'level cap'. It took a fair amount of time during which players were level 55 at 'cap', and pets + mounts were stuck at level 50, leading to pets seemingly being far less useful than they are now. I believe the current circumstances replicate that of the past, and in order for combat-oriented Battle-Pets to be considered a 'viable' option once more, they need their own leveling again - to 'catch up' to ancestral level 7 alongside their masters.

These two images show my own (player) totals, but more important is the text description included: That only same-level (and assumed-lower) level players are affected by these stats. Since pets and mounts are capped at level 55, they are at a distinct disadvantage that no amount of gemming or lunafrosting can compare to. Common mobs in the latest zones (Whalesong, Aegis) are clearly higher level than 55, showing that it is in fact possible for NPCS to escalate and 'match up properly'.

Despite the fact that for players, gaining ancestral levels yields no raw statwise bonus and should be considered as level 55 still, it's clear that NPCs are affected differently by this, as shown by their own ancestral levels being a direct correlation to their intended strength.

I would greatly appreciate if this matter regarding battle-pets could be investigated and its findings reported back!

TL;DR: Resilience and Toughness do not work on pets. I provided some ideas as to possibly why, but I would greatly want these 2 stats to start working on battle-pets.
    Kraken's #1 Argent Storyteller.

Quote Originally Posted by Rururu View Post
    There are some targets which are simply not ideal to attack when they are aware of your presence.

Not a solution to your problem but pets can be summoned during combat. Ultragemming your pet's armor for toughness/resi steals a heck of a lot of damage potential from them. It may be simpler and more effective to get multiple pets and damage gem them. When they go down, summon a new one. That's what I do anyway and I rarely run out of all 5 of my pets before the resummon cooldown on the first one to die is back up. Usually any opponent capable of killing all 5 of my pets while also fighting me will kill me before all the pets die.

Downside is I have most of a hotbar dedicated to pets but I find it personally satisfying to have someone target and kill my pet just to have me summon a new one immediately. And it only takes about 2-4 hours of farming to max level a pet for me even as a 5k shield healer.
    Harbingers of Freedom - Dwarf - Vengeance
    Shield Healer (Hierophant)

"To hell with honor. Win!" - Harbingers of Freedom Motto
    Claiming you're a hardcore PvPer because you have good gear in a no-loot drop game is like claiming you have high spice tolerance because you eat Taco Bell fire sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaemik View Post
    Not a solution to your problem but pets can be summoned during combat. Ultragemming your pet's armor for toughness/resi steals a heck of a lot of damage potential from them. It may be simpler and more effective to get multiple pets and damage gem them. When they go down, summon a new one. That's what I do anyway and I rarely run out of all 5 of my pets before the resummon cooldown on the first one to die is back up. Usually any opponent capable of killing all 5 of my pets while also fighting me will kill me before all the pets die.

Downside is I have most of a hotbar dedicated to pets but I find it personally satisfying to have someone target and kill my pet just to have me summon a new one immediately. And it only takes about 2-4 hours of farming to max level a pet for me even as a 5k shield healer.
    True, while it is easier to level 'disposable' pets, at the level I play at, pets defensively are cardboard cutouts: Being one-shot within the span of the two seconds it takes to target and attack them. My original idea was to deck out 1 or 2 pets in such a manner that they would be able to be able to survive for at least a few seconds against a higher-geared player: The same way that a player would. I figured that the difference between battle-pets and powerstone-pets was primarily being that battle-pets made more of an 'impact' at the cost of needing to micromanage them (or else they'll go and do stuff like break your CCs, or die in AoE). Powerstone pets were the inverse: Small amount of micromanagement (+1 button to deal with, stays with you) for a moderate benefit (active skill + passive powerstone).

However, in battle-pets so weak defensively, it makes powerstone pets closer to a 'no-brainer' option, which should not be the case. Typical battle-pets should not be just the 'go-to' new player or ignorant option to substitute inferior strength. By making them more survivable in the face of danger, they can consistently be something players of all power levels may consider as an alternative means of improving themselves. Resilience and Toughness working for pets would give people the option to have Fluffy not just be an attempt at a single CC before being cleaved in two.

Most people won't just keep cleaving pets by the time the third one pops out from what I've noticed. Even people capable of 1 shotting them, they don't want to play whack a mole forever and their 1 shot abilities have cooldowns / can't be used on you after they are used to kill your pet. I do agree though that toughness and resi would be nice. Of my 5 pets the 5th is designed to be a tank. Essentially so that is they kill the 4 damage dealers they still have him to contend with. For that though, I fitted a +40% health pet with full earth gear. If toughness/resi were available I would fit him with them to make him unkillable (He really would be with his 2 self heals, huge HP pool and a healer for a master.)

But yeah for 4/5 of my pets if toughness and resi were available I would give them little if any.

Pets probably wouldn't be worth leveling and gearing up to get a small army on their own but as a healer I need them to supplement my damage in PVE anyway.
    Harbingers of Freedom - Dwarf - Vengeance
    Shield Healer (Hierophant)

"To hell with honor. Win!" - Harbingers of Freedom Motto
    Claiming you're a hardcore PvPer because you have good gear in a no-loot drop game is like claiming you have high spice tolerance because you eat Taco Bell fire sauce.

Going into 4.5 would really like to see more incentive for pet usage. Gemming with working survivability gems is a pretty big plus.

Either make it so players don't make the mistake of socketing by adding a description or making them unsocketable on pet armor, or have them work properly. Definitely see merit in having them work properly.

Also still waiting for Ayanad(/Erenor??!) pet armor.
    Gameprooe, the Executioner of Enla West
    Solo Player, Researcher, Theorycrafter
    Playing Hellweaver full-time on Kraken

Twitch - Twitch.tv/gamepro03
    YouTube - Gamepro03
    Twitter @Gamepro03

Archeage Research & Development Discord - Now public!
    This Discord server's purpose is to mass a collection of like-minded individuals who seek to test and explore the secrets of mechanics behind Archeage. Feel free to hop on by and help out with the project!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamepro03 View Post
    Also still waiting for Ayanad(/Erenor??!) pet armor.
    I could dig ayanad pet armor. Erenor pet armor makes me cringe, though.
    Kraken's #1 Argent Storyteller.

Quote Originally Posted by Rururu View Post
    There are some targets which are simply not ideal to attack when they are aware of your presence.

+ Reply to Thread