+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please, some interesting events.

Please, some interesting events.

Can we please stop with the click and stand around for 15 minute events? This one is pretty easy to skip since the rewards are pretty terrible, but for the past few months the events have all been things of just showing up and clicking a thing or AFKing rather than playing.

More things like the Daru Delivery and Undersea Chests... less things like this abomination.

See: http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...ningful-events

If you like that idea feel free to comment and keep it alive, I'm sure pretty much everyone in the community agrees that events have such a great potential to create a more active and positive community so long as they're done correctly.
    Gameprooe, the Executioner of Enla West
    Solo Player, Researcher, Theorycrafter
    Playing Immortalist full-time on Wynn

Twitch - Twitch.tv/gamepro03
    YouTube - Gamepro03
    Twitter @Gamepro03

Archeage Research & Development Discord - Now public!
    This Discord server's purpose is to mass a collection of like-minded individuals who seek to test and explore the secrets of mechanics behind Archeage. Feel free to hop on by and help out with the project!

Who wants to play that MM or Halcy trash though? Forcing people to go because the free hand outs make it worth dredging through that crap is pretty bad design.

You'll need to actually read that thread word for word unfortunately. There's a lot I talk about in there.

YouTube - Gamepro03
    Twitter @Gamepro03

This Discord server's purpose is to mass a collection of like-minded individuals who seek to test and explore the secrets of mechanics behind Archeage. Feel free to hop on by and help out with the project!

While I'm all about more entertaining events, I will say the current Daru Event is one I've been waiting for for a long time.

There are a lot of things that I know about Archeage lore, but the book from this event really filled in some gaps.

I'm not going to spoil it, but of all the books from all the events we've had, this one is totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamepro03 View Post
    You'll need to actually read that thread word for word unfortunately. There's a lot I talk about in there.
    We have events literally running 24/7/365 right now. Most of them actually make people hate the events rather than are fun and people want to participate. They are all copy and paste skinner boxes that you just show up and hit a button to get a reward.

Mistmerrow is terrible. Like one of the worst PVP games I've ever seen. I say one of the worst because it's only tied for last place with Halcy. Giving people triple rewards just makes them hate the game more because they feel obligated to slog through the mess just to get their prize. Trion and XL get tons of complaints and so we get easy to do events with nothing good in them like this Daru thing.

What they need to do is design fun events that make people want to participate regardless of the rewards and then also happen to have rewards. That type of design might actually take some thought and planning though. Why do that when you can just fresh start so the players start again to buy their fake victories.

Things like the Daru Delivery specifically were pretty decent. The primary reward was good and you could get it by being diligent but safe, yet you got to choose how much risk you wanted to be exposed to and get extra.

Things like that dumb fishing delivery one for free regrade scrolls to the already dominating people though? Similar event, terrible design. Why participate if you are just being fed to sociopaths who are out to hurt you even though they gain nothing. They quite literally are hurting themselves by not being available to do other things in the game specifically to gank people for no reason at all other than to also hurt them. This isn't fun for normal people.

Quote Originally Posted by Snerdles View Post
    We have events literally running 24/7/365 right now. Most of them actually make people hate the events rather than are fun and people want to participate. They are all copy and paste skinner boxes that you just show up and hit a button to get a reward.

Mistmerrow is terrible. Like one of the worst PVP games I've ever seen. I say one of the worst because it's only tied for last place with Halcy. Giving people triple rewards just makes them hate the game more because they feel obligated to slog through the mess just to get their prize. Trion and XL get tons of complaints and so we get easy to do events with nothing good in them like this Daru thing.

What they need to do is design fun events that make people want to participate regardless of the rewards and then also happen to have rewards. That type of design might actually take some thought and planning though. Why do that when you can just fresh start so the players start again to buy their fake victories.

Things like the Daru Delivery specifically were pretty decent. The primary reward was good and you could get it by being diligent but safe, yet you got to choose how much risk you wanted to be exposed to and get extra.

Things like that dumb fishing delivery one for free regrade scrolls to the already dominating people though? Similar event, terrible design. Why participate if you are just being fed to sociopaths who are out to hurt you even though they gain nothing. They quite literally are hurting themselves by not being available to do other things in the game specifically to gank people for no reason at all other than to also hurt them. This isn't fun for normal people.
    What about Mistmerrow and Halcyona are so bad? Mistmerrow does a good job dividing up larger groups so that smaller groups are able to accomplish tasks when they work together. Halcyona does a good job at coordinating mass PvP. In the end, it shouldn't be the objectives that are important but instead it is the opportunity to try to get fun PvP (by facilitating how it works, via the battlefield, etc) and the rewards that are easily attainable in either event.

The problem in these aren't the objectives or the rewards in my opinion, it's that people don't attend them or participate at all if their group is vastly outnumbered and don't want to PvP- but you cannot create PvP events that only work for small groups of people in an open world game, it will always get abused by larger groups. This is why I specifically point out when people did attend Mistmerrow for a few days in mass, those were some of the most fun fights folks had that people agreed was fun, win or lose, because everyone actually decided to go for once.

Unless of course you mean you don't want raid versus raid PvP events at all in a game that primarily focuses on that.

You mention that you want XL to design fun events with an emphasis on fun, and we did get instance-based water-gun events and more incoming. It's clearly on their mind and that's actually really good, however they're cheating by making it instance-based. The really tough problem is finding out how to make fun PvP events that are also open world and/or Raid versus Raid focused. What sort of ideas have you had for those sort of events?

Personally I've come up with a bunch, such as changing Reedwind to have Essense drop only during war time as well as only allowing the tower to be built during war. It only takes a few minutes for a raid to trigger war but in 4.5 it starts after 5 minutes of Conflict instead of 30. This gives plenty of time for people to go and try to contest, and contesting becomes controlling territories of mobs as well as fighting at the tower- a very 2015 Hasla-esque approach to gameplay that forces people to spread out.

I've also had ideas revolving around new rifts that drop more relevant mobs, again similar to Hasla in that areas need to be controlled for mob control, but smaller groups can steal mobs. In reality this is already happening in 4.5, where every West/East world boss, if killed during war, will spawn a bunch of mobs that drop great loot. Those mobs can be contested even by small groups who want to steal from larger groups.

At the end of the day, these require a lot of development time and work. They will always be less of a priority than whatever XL currently has on their plate. The biggest issue is that XL Games comes out with weekly events all of the time in Korea to keep things from getting stale but they just can't do that to all of the other regions as often, it's impossible, they'd have to make big regional client changes every week for every region constantly and they clearly don't have the resources for that.

This is why I'm pushing in that thread to give control of events to the publishers, to allow them to turn on/off events at will as well as to give more power over what rewards current events offer. This allows for more frequent, less stale events that even the players can help decide what comes next if Trion chooses to do something like that. XL already started doing that, giving publishers control over loot drop rates, regrade rates, xp rates, etc. This however isn't enough as we've seen, even double loot drop doesn't bring people into Aegis/Whalesong by storm during war. It's clear though that XL did intend to begin giving publishers more control, they just need to keep it up. That way they can worry less themselves about activating/deactivating events for each patch and focus on creating content that the publishers themselves turn off/on whenever they want. It also allows publishers to run initial QA themselves on their own test server whenever they want for anything.

YouTube - Gamepro03
    Twitter @Gamepro03

I'm enjoying this event. And I've been wanting hoverbloom decor since the first time I saw Ahnimar. And the book! I haven't finished mine yet but that will be the first thing I get.

I would like to see some more events that consist of mini-games, similar to the Rum Runner festival.

Quote Originally Posted by romonster View Post
    I'm enjoying this event. And I've been wanting hoverbloom decor since the first time I saw Ahnimar. And the book! I haven't finished mine yet but that will be the first thing I get.

I would like to see some more events that consist of mini-games, similar to the Rum Runner festival.
    You like the reward, but do you actually enjoy the event? If the reward wasn't there would you show up to stand around for 15 minutes to click an item.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamepro03 View Post
    What about Mistmerrow and Halcyona are so bad?
    Mistmerrow scoring promotes avoiding others to let them take your towers so that you can recapture them from the other groups so it ends up being a zerg of tower taking rather than good PVP. It also promotes cheating with alts.

If, for instance, they had two types of towers (let's say, large and small) and there were always as many large towers as there are factions/nations on the current server plus one. When you capture a large tower every 15 seconds it scores 3 points which stack each 15 second period (so at 30 seconds you'd get 6, 45 you get 9) and then capturing a tower your team instantly steals the stacked points but it also resets to no points again to start building 15 seconds later.

You make the map so that there are a good 20-30 different locations for the large towers to spawn and their locations are pseudo-random each game which makes it so there is never a known strategy going in. Not static patterns just pseudo random so you don't have two large towers right beside each other, but are still actually randomly placed so that you don't just have things like "Oh this is pattern 3, so let's do X".

Now you have the small towers which are easier to capture and only score 1 point per 15 second stack, but you have a random amount of them that are 2-4 times the number of large towers, but never a multiple of the large towers. So if there are 4 large towers (Both factions, Pirates, and the plus one) then you'd have 9-15 small towers but not 12. Again, you have to design the map where there are going to be 40-80 locations for these towers to spawn and their locations are random every time, these can be literally right beside large towers or even each other, just random spots.

This also combats alts because currently you can do things like attack your own towers with alts from all the other sides and know where to be when they come up so destruction points are spread among the other teams but your capture points are always stacked on your own. With the method I described it is always detrimental to use alts to capture your towers since the opposing team steals the current stacks and also starts building their own.

You are still going to have the obvious ArcheAge problems that the team with the higher numbers and higher gear will generally win, but with this system it promotes defending towers which are stacked, attacking points which are stacked, as well as guerrilla capping undefended towers. It also makes teams who want to capture more towers have to balance between spreading out or trying to build out stacks on fewer towers but keeping it defended. Since every game is random placements it makes it very difficult to always have a plan of attack going in.

. . .

Halcy is a little harder, but right now it's a zerg fest that the losing side just doesn't bother to show. Since it's basically an ARAM MOBA game I think I would change it so that you have to pick up a buff/item (like maybe a non-overburden trade pack... or even just a buff) in your base and get them delivered to the enemy base to 'damage it'. If you are killed by an opposing team you drop your buff and the opposing team can pick it up. If you are killed by the enemy golum it absorbs your buff stacks to get stronger, heal, or whatever. If you are killed by another NPC or your own team your buff just disappears.

You could use the amount of damage each buff per side does as a balancing mechanic to help combat zergs... and just set respawn timers in the zone to higher for the team with more players so that kills from the smaller side help more.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast