+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: When will legacy servers merge?

There had best NOT be a legacy merge.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOuroborus View Post
    There had best NOT be a legacy merge.
    there will have to be man. there's gonna be less than 200 active players on most legacy servers.
    Aranzeb - Eclectic Nation

I suspect there will be a merge, but I think it is a mistake to do so again. Here are my thoughts on the matter.

We've seen merges before-we know how awful they are, and we know that each time, the population drops significantly after a few weeks or even days. This is because contrary to popular opinion, people do not actually enjoy "pvp" as that class of player calls it. Some of us are either trying to make gold and gear, or simply enjoy the farming aspects of the game. In both cases, those people do not appreciate being forced into a more populated server.

I think offering a cheaper transfer service is the best idea. the folks who wish to move to more populated servers may do so, and those who wish to remain where they are, such as myself, can do that. If one of the servers is at or drops below a sustainable population (can't do any major events, for example) then that server should be locked, and the players given time to choose a new one.

Which servers haven't been merged? All servers who weren't involved in the 2015 Merger , were merged in September of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekikyo View Post
    Which servers haven't been merged? All servers who weren't involved in the 2015 Merger , were merged in September of last year.
    Kyrios has never had a merge. I think one other as well but can't recall which.

When are you guys going to realize server mergers only speed up the death of this game? Merge 1 was one year after the game was released. Those Servers were alive for 3 months..... until Trion released its first Fresh start. Then they died.

Legacy servers were busy through most of year one and a half..... and then guild monopolies took over, transfers were enabled, and 9 servers suddenly died. Those servers merged in September 2017..... and are already dead.

You need to realize there are a ton of reasons this game is dying, and a lack of mergers is not one of them.

Reasons:

Multi YEAR expectations in gearing costs and gating.

P2W gear improvement priced 10-14 times higher than any competitor PER TRY.

Capped Labor on processes which are almost never labor efficient.

Boss based gating on low but predictable respawns, owned by the guilds built specifically by the best of the best players per server who only recruit the best, know the times, use cross faction alliances that can't be combated, who often level other faction to help permanently control the flow of single faction objectives, like Siege declarations, etc.

Single guild Pirate, opposite faction, and same faction switching, which allows them to abuse Purpling by others to punish them for interfering with their objective hoarding..... no matter what that objective is (If you're the strongest group and always on a green toon to the strongest opposition, they will always get punished for attacking you, reducing their power)

Land Ownership/Patron in a gated game designed to stymie progression. Let's face it: Taxes and land ownership are tedious, require a weekly addiction to maintain, or you lose significant investments. Even in a dead game, losing a mansion or spending 2500g to package it... is expensive, especially when to get it back, you have to repatron, and you have to do something with all the decorations, or they just delete (especially the credit ones)

...... I maintained land for over 3 years. Those were all on paid subscription amounting to about $250 per 6 months. In addition to spending, gearing halfway, etc. I literally couldn't walk away from the game for about 2 1/2 of that, until they allowed packaging. 32 Gazebos/Pavilions. 4 Improved Thatches. Improved Plaza. Improved Mansion. Improved Townhouse. 4 Treehouses. 2 16's. Over 500 links of Rickety Fence/Ghost Fences, Pumpkin Fences, Fountains, Dessert House. I constructed 3 of the most detailed and beautiful regions on my servers (I owned the entire Pirate's Fate Isle/Thunder Isle, as well as the area in Windscour closest to Widesleeves, around Improved Plazas at both. I could plant 400 Pines on Ollo, and some 280 on Nebe/Sirothe, to give an idea of how large (I had 19 Max masteries between 8 characters).

I learned very quick that this could all disappear, was a massive time trap, money trap, and it wouldn't facilitate a self progression, even though it could create revenue in game.

So .... When Ollo Merged in September I cancelled my 3 year subscriptions. I Probably lost forever my credit-paid rickety fences and a lot of custom items and decorations. Even if I had to collect them to save them..... I had 1600 slots in chests full of materials, expensive items, credit items.... Where are you going to put that all when you have a server merger and can only get a personal inventory up to 150? Once the game became about whether I was going to save my resources that took 8-10 months to save, or to save my money items, the choice to play became Trivial. I was deciding between money, and time, both of which I have finite amounts of.

(It didn't help that the one guild I trusted just dismantled its ambitions the second its leader decided to get a PHD and move to America; the pvpers decided to transfer off. The rest just stopped going to anything as a group and blaming everyone else for their failure, but ofc..... would spend 8 hours fighting over a single Drake they could not win, making attendance mandatory, and feed their entire guild's Honor to the other competitor who was on average 1500 Gear score higher, and had PETS that could kill our guildies. (I actually went to that, but they plagued me forever over the fact I was afk during one and occasionally came back when I had 30-60 LP to run a couple packs to a Treehouse I was building. While I was feeding my son))

Merge will speed up the death of the game, but it will also bring one to two more months of 'fun'. I am always against merger, but I can see why some players are always asking for it. Nobody is beholden to Trion to keep playing the game if it isn't fun to them anymore.

Anyway, I think mergers will be around September as it always is. I think that's the perfect sweetspot of the year with enough data and manpower to do it.

My time with Trion is winding down. I've been patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Derherherher View Post
    IF they do another merge affecting my server, I'm out for good this time. Twice I've been through that, and it's just too much trouble. First time was inconvenient, second was downright frustrating, third will be the final nail.

If they want to save the legacy servers they need to do the smart thing and not make any more stupid fresh start servers. But it's too late for that, and judging by the player attrition rate between the 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 combined with every time they've opened a fresh start server I predict this game will be nothing but a memory no more than a year after combined 4.0/fresh start release.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Rekikyo View Post
    When are you guys going to realize server mergers only speed up the death of this game?
    When are you going to realize your money spent is gone, your essays are not going to happen and we are bored.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast