+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Melee 4.5 gear

Melee 4.5 gear

Just wondering with all these changes whats a viable class now for solo/raid play?
    Also

Plate or leather?
    2h or 1h/shield?

Hope someone can help, Thanks ^^

1h shield = plate or leather, both good though I'd lean towards plate
    2h or DW = leather

Classes:
    I'd say Battlerage/Shadowplay/X or Battlerage/Occ/x. Effective classes and combos remain to be discovered. You can make a lot more classes work than before though because most skill effects and potential synergies got increased, while damage coefficients were nerfed which was badly needed.

What last poster said, start with those combos and go from there. It seems many of the group pvpers are leaning for br/occ for the cc, not necessarily the damage (the damage stuff is very high in the OCC tree passives)

Why br/occ ? doesn't witch have more cc/utility?

Quote Originally Posted by FinalFlash View Post
    Why br/occ ? doesn't witch have more cc/utility?
    It's primarily because of these two combos:
    Impale > Tiger Strike trip
    Crippling Mire > Whirlwind Slash trip

With normal Hell Spear you'll get the ability to AOE trip a group of people with Hell Spear > Normal/Life Tiger Strike
    With ancestral Mist Hell spear, you get an unblockable guaranteed single target Impale > Tiger Strike up to 12m away

Crippling Mire gives a low-cooldown slow to combo into Whirlwind Slash.

On legacy servers, if you hop into any of the 1v1 arenas you'll almost always see the Mist Hell Spear-Tiger Strike opener into Crippling Mire-Whirlwind Trip> Hammer-Charge > Sunder earth > Precision strike.

Witchcraft does have some pretty long CC options like Lassitude-Whirlwind -> Behind Enemy Lines(trips sleeping enemies) and Banshee-Terrifying Roar but they're generally high-cooldown and some CCs break on damage in group situations. It's generally been the rule of thumb that Witchcraft peels / controls targets (and then you focus them down or leave them alone), but Occultism's Impales disable people long enough for teammates to just thoughtlessly unleash damage without worrying about breaking CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenki View Post
    It's primarily because of these two combos:
    Impale > Tiger Strike trip
    Crippling Mire > Whirlwind Slash trip

With normal Hell Spear you'll get the ability to AOE trip a group of people with Hell Spear > Normal/Life Tiger Strike
    With ancestral Mist Hell spear, you get an unblockable guaranteed single target Impale > Tiger Strike up to 12m away

Crippling Mire gives a low-cooldown slow to combo into Whirlwind Slash.

On legacy servers, if you hop into any of the 1v1 arenas you'll almost always see the Mist Hell Spear-Tiger Strike opener into Crippling Mire-Whirlwind Trip> Hammer-Charge > Sunder earth > Precision strike.

Witchcraft does have some pretty long CC options like Lassitude-Whirlwind -> Behind Enemy Lines(trips sleeping enemies) and Banshee-Terrifying Roar but they're generally high-cooldown and some CCs break on damage in group situations. It's generally been the rule of thumb that Witchcraft peels / controls targets (and then you focus them down or leave them alone), but Occultism's Impales disable people long enough for teammates to just thoughtlessly unleash damage without worrying about breaking CC.
    i see thanks for this, i have been wondering what to pick between Hex warden and Bloodreaver for raids/sea combat (we need more push/pull so i needed something with aura) so i guess it will be Bloodreaver based off your info.

For solo play atm i'm trying blighter but i have never been a shadowplay user so im getting used to the combs/skills

I use to play blighter exclusively, unfortunately with this patch i cant recommend it, i would try DoomLord instead. alot of combos, cc, and self-sustain

Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedFerret View Post
    I use to play blighter exclusively, unfortunately with this patch i cant recommend it, i would try DoomLord instead. alot of combos, cc, and self-sustain
    oh why not? it has plenty of trip combos just curious what im missing/not seeing that makes it not worth playing.

Blighter use to have a near constant control skills to it, Stun/trip/shackle/silence. that plus the battlefocus/redoubt/battlefocus had a good period were it had near impenetrable defenses(to melee) How ever it as always lacked cc break options, pretty much just bondbreaker/bel. since the changes Blighter as lost much of its control (not all) and its defense/self sustain is significantly less compared to other similar classes Abol/pally/doomlord. Granted blighter still has burst capability, its overall survivalbility as been cut back significantly. But of course this is just what I noticed based on how i played it. They're still could be options ive overlooked depending on varying play-styles.

Blighter is pretty dope right now in my opinion... 100% uptime on impale immunity and a cd for trip immunity really makes you a good counter to executioner (which you encounter everywhere as its the new fotw). Need a strong 1h weapon to hit hard enough to make a difference though...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast