+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Since XL didn't release new races in 5.0, perhaps it should be called 4.99?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricorn View Post
    Wait a minute. I think this conversation got hijacked by Race Changes Hijinks.

I am more concerned about actually getting new races to play with.

Would we really get Fairies? Would they be censored?

Would we really get the undead Returned? Would I be awkwardly aroused due to my closet necrophiliac tendencies?

I don't want to wait until Time Will Tell. I have the patience of an average gamer in 2018. Which is no patience, whatsoever.
    I love your optimism, but what's the point in new races if you have to lose it all to play them?

Quote Originally Posted by Triosta View Post
    They can't because of all the complex character flags. ...
    Changing your nation doesn't necessarily imply changing your race, so that shouldn't be an issue. The underlying systems for nation changes already exist; otherwise we couldn't have player nations. There's no technical reason a Firran or Warborn couldn't switch allegiance from Haranya to Nuia. Story-wise, sure, they'd be a traitor to their people, but from a purely mechanical standpoint it shouldn't be too difficult.

Race changes, as people have noted, are next to impossible to implement, though.
    Claw to earth, blood to water, fang to wind, heart to Tahyang.

Mulberry ~ <Archangels> ~ Conviction East
    Moonstone ~ <Odyssey> ~ Conviction West
    Snowberry ~ Cinnabar ~ <Wayfarers> ~ Conviction East

Quote Originally Posted by romonster View Post
    Changing your nation doesn't necessarily imply changing your race, so that shouldn't be an issue. The underlying systems for nation changes already exist; otherwise we couldn't have player nations. There's no technical reason a Firran or Warborn couldn't switch allegiance from Haranya to Nuia. Story-wise, sure, they'd be a traitor to their people, but from a purely mechanical standpoint it shouldn't be too difficult.

Race changes, as people have noted, are next to impossible to implement, though.
    Although possible, changing race shouldn't be an option. That option would interfere with story lines which could cause a whole pot of issues. Not to mention, I would rather XL not try to attempt the latter considering how brain dead and incompetent their team is.

The best option would just be a multi-account storage that gives players the choice of switching key, hard worked items over while still having to re-level, re-quest.

We have pushed for the account bound storage idea for years now. I know I have supported it for at least the last 2 on these forums, and have not seen any resistance to it from the player base. It should not be that hard for a chest, or a few warehouse slots to transfer hard earned gear or rare mounts to a new race. My Seabug is permanently stuck on a Firran that I no longer play on. Races... Oh yeah, Topic!

There was no new races for 2.0 or 4.0, so I don't see any reason this can't be called 5.0, since there are huge changes to almost every system coming (ewww... change... Bring Back The Original Trade System!). I have open slots on my main account, so there is a likelihood that I would try out the new races simply to enjoy the storyline.

Fairy and Undead? Doesn't sound bad, but I liked the Harpy and Werefox models from the mobile game. There is a lot they could work with and expand upon. Hell, look at all the open areas on the 3 continents that haven't been made playable yet. Somehow I doubt this game will live on long enough for them to unlock it all, but we can dream for a turn around of business models and expansion to occur.

Celestrata has talked about account-bound items several times in the past. It's something Trion has wanted to offer us for a long time. But it's apparently a lot more difficult to implement than you imagine. Bound items and unbound items look the same to us, but for whatever reason, XL put them into the database as completely separate things with different IDs. So, instead of a simple conversion from a character-bound state to an account-bound state, it would require completely remapping every single affected item to a new database ID. That's labor intensive and very time-consuming.
    Claw to earth, blood to water, fang to wind, heart to Tahyang.

Mulberry ~ <Archangels> ~ Conviction East
    Moonstone ~ <Odyssey> ~ Conviction West
    Snowberry ~ Cinnabar ~ <Wayfarers> ~ Conviction East

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2