+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57

Thread: Basic questions for upcoming producer's letter

  1. #1
    Senior Member Nerrivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Rokhala Reflecting Pools, Taris
    Posts
    320

    Basic questions for upcoming producer's letter

    Dear Trion crew,

    let me start by saying that your continued efforts to produce ArcheAge in these rough times are appreciated by the remaining community. However, some of us are concerned about the future of the game, more than we have ever been before. I would therefore like to ask you to address some very basic questions about the future in your upcoming producer's letter; and please, be frank with us -- we can handle the truth

    1. What will be the fate of legacy servers?

    Legacy is in a very bad state. The fact that many of the recent and upcoming changes by XL could work well on progression servers, but make limited sense on legacy, suggests that the progression servers are now the center of attention for development, and will be the future of the game.
    You claim you are not considering merges, even though the servers are obviously in serious trouble. Are you perhaps planning something even more drastic, like a legacy shutdown? Please tell us what will happen to legacy servers in the next months/2019. We need to know.

    2. What will be the fate of the current FS progression servers?

    You sure are bringing those two up to speed pretty fast. There's already serious inflation on those servers, APEX are around 1000g, something that took 3 years on legacy, opposed to 3 months. Are you planning to maintain Ezi and Nui like this, or will they end up in the legacy pool sooner than any FS servers before?

    3. Are you considering additional FS progression servers in the near future?

    Just asking, because, well, Ezi and Nui don't look quite so fresh anymore (see above).

    4. Are you considering the release of a subscription/Buy2Play server in the future?

    Though a controversial topic, this type of server is something that a lot of people would be interested in. The thought of playing ArcheAge as game that does not require an army of alts to keep up is quite attractive.
    Apart from that, the microcosm of the game is changed significantly through Hiram gear, which requires much more time than gold to get, and cannot be sold -- or bought. This is leaving the community without much reason to buy and sell APEX; the result can be seen in the dramatic price increase of APEX on the auction house. For that reason alone, a new approach to monetizing the game might be in order. What are your thoughts on this?

    5. If ArcheAge remains free to play...

    ...how will you guarantee a stable supply of APEX on the auction house? With the changes outlined above, the supply of APEX is steadily drying up. It's a big problem for people who rely on APEX to keep their sub and property, who are now caught between a rock and a hard place: either spend almost all gold they can make on APEX and forget about progress, or be constantly at risk of losing their sub. It's not a fun experience. What will you do to remedy this situation?

    6. The perils of AltAge

    APEX and subscriptions aside, there is still the possibility to create an unlimited number of free accounts, leave them logged in for labor, and use them to generate a variety of currencies. This is not profitable for you, and has a very unfortunate effect on the game's economy and the value of said currencies, leaving all players who don't enjoy that kind of "playstyle" at a permanent disadvantage. What are your thoughts on this? Shouldn't AltAge die so that ArcheAge can live?

    It would be truly fantastic if you could take the time and answer these questions in your letter. A clear outline for the future of the game, and perhaps even some solutions to it's basic problems, would certainly put the community at ease.


    Some personal context for this post: I started ArcheAge in December 2014, and enjoyed it immensely for about 3 years. Burnout and dissatisfaction with changes to so many systems caused me to take a break for the last 8 months. But guess what, the joke's on me: there really isn't anything on the market that compares to AA, or at least to what it once was.
    I would like to come back, but to where exactly? I still have chars and property on legacy that I love very much, but the future for legacy does not look promising -- when my stuff goes up in merger-smoke once again, I don't have much reason to be there. The new progression servers don't look convincing to me, mostly because they are so close to legacy (and all it's problems) already. So now what? What about players like me who would like to come back? What about potential new players who are aware of the game's troubles? Where should we place our bets?
    "Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."

    Oscar Wilde on ArcheAge

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,724
    I am also interested in questions 1-4

    Regarding the rest...

    It's not too much to ask for players to pay 8-15 per month for patron.

    Mass alts... Just because your playstyle is less efficient than your perception of other people's playstyle doesn't mean there is a problem.

    There are significant limitations to running mass alts and not everyone can do it effectively. It's a developed skill that has a relatively low payoff. That's why I said "your perception". I run 10 chars and I can tell you that the payout isn't that stellar. It's good for getting prestige lunarite and gradual honor. That's about it. You're also vulnerable to reds because you can't gear mass alts. A geared player can 1 shot 10 alts.

    Leaving your computer on for labor is roughly the same cost as buying patron. The power bill is just a hidden cost.

    Sometimes I don't bother running mass alts because single characters are so much more efficient.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollolol View Post
    I am also interested in questions 1-4

    Regarding the rest...

    It's not too much to ask for players to pay 8-15 per month for patron.

    Mass alts... Just because your playstyle is less efficient than your perception of other people's playstyle doesn't mean there is a problem.

    There are significant limitations to running mass alts and not everyone can do it effectively. It's a developed skill that has a relatively low payoff. That's why I said "your perception". I run 10 chars and I can tell you that the payout isn't that stellar. It's good for getting prestige lunarite and gradual honor. That's about it. You're also vulnerable to reds because you can't gear mass alts. A geared player can 1 shot 10 alts.

    Leaving your computer on for labor is roughly the same cost as buying patron. The power bill is just a hidden cost.

    Sometimes I don't bother running mass alts because single characters are so much more efficient.

    Wow. I've never seen anyone try to get sympathy because running 10 alts is hard, and Claim the benefit is small.

    My complaints with the multiple Alts is - It's a Game Mechanic Cheat Code. Why is it a Cheat? Because they DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the event that they are taking the reward from. THEY DO NOTHING to help complete the task. I go to Kadum, i fight Kadum, I die occasionally at Kadum, but I contribute damage to kill the boss. If it were up to your Alts, YOU WOULD NOT WIN. You would Not receive anything. Because the Alts are NOT Participating.

    They just stand and do Nothing, and when everyone else does all the work, then they take 350 gold. That's not "playing" the game. That's abusing mechanics.

    We had an almost full raid against the WS WB. And when we launched the attack, only HALF the characters in the raid even moved. The Elephant is a Tough WB, and after 10 minutes, we had to give up. We didn't kill the WB because so many Alts were parked in the raid trying to siphon free prestige.

    Best thing they could do for this game is get rid of the multi-boxing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Tricorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Villanelle Island
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
    Wow. I've never seen anyone try to get sympathy because running 10 alts is hard, and Claim the benefit is small.

    My complaints with the multiple Alts is - It's a Game Mechanic Cheat Code. Why is it a Cheat? Because they DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the event that they are taking the reward from. THEY DO NOTHING to help complete the task. I go to Kadum, i fight Kadum, I die occasionally at Kadum, but I contribute damage to kill the boss. If it were up to your Alts, YOU WOULD NOT WIN. You would Not receive anything. Because the Alts are NOT Participating.

    They just stand and do Nothing, and when everyone else does all the work, then they take 350 gold. That's not "playing" the game. That's abusing mechanics.

    We had an almost full raid against the WS WB. And when we launched the attack, only HALF the characters in the raid even moved. The Elephant is a Tough WB, and after 10 minutes, we had to give up. We didn't kill the WB because so many Alts were parked in the raid trying to siphon free prestige.

    Best thing they could do for this game is get rid of the multi-boxing.
    Trion's logic is simple, alt characters are too difficult to stop (also known as spending money to hire more GMs to police such action) therefore it is best to make it easy for everyone to alt, so that there will be a level playing field.

    I'll pause while your head explodes.

    So now we have the 'unsolvable' problem of alts everywhere, the only logical step (according to Trion) is to reduce as much interesting rewards as possible for each account, so as to avoid 'damaging the game economy'. However, the valuable currencies like gold, APEX, prestige-bought items and vocation-bought items are still freely tradable.

    Players are free to play on just one character, that is their choice. But every future game mechanic decision that Trion makes for NA/EU Archeage will be catered to the players who play with multiple alts.

    So, to paraphrase the wildly dramatic Kooncoon, "You no alt, you no win!"

    Plus, dual wielding credit cards helps massively too.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerrivic View Post
    Basic questions for upcoming producer's letter
    Are we expecting to receive a producer's letter other than the statement Khrolan put out last week?

    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...-Recent-Events

    EDIT: Never mind, I now see where he said he would update us.
    Solie
    <Paragon> Calliel
    <Black Shields> Calliel, Hanure, Thunder Wing
    <IIIIIII> Kryios, Tahyang
    <Outcast> Conviction

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricorn View Post
    Trion's logic is simple, alt characters are too difficult to stop (also known as spending money to hire more GMs to police such action) therefore it is best to make it easy for everyone to alt, so that there will be a level playing field.

    I'll pause while your head explodes.

    So now we have the 'unsolvable' problem of alts everywhere, the only logical step (according to Trion) is to reduce as much interesting rewards as possible for each account, so as to avoid 'damaging the game economy'. However, the valuable currencies like gold, APEX, prestige-bought items and vocation-bought items are still freely tradable.

    Players are free to play on just one character, that is their choice. But every future game mechanic decision that Trion makes for NA/EU Archeage will be catered to the players who play with multiple alts.

    So, to paraphrase the wildly dramatic Kooncoon, "You no alt, you no win!"

    Plus, dual wielding credit cards helps massively too.


    See, this is where i disagree. It's Not that difficult to stop probably 95% of it. Everything starts at the Log-in. I've played games where If you try to log in with a second account you get a message saying its not allowed, and it is physically impossible to do so. Using a VPN is still simply sending the computer info from a different specific address. Logging in from the same vpn at the same time is going to show as 'the same' address and can be stopped.

    It would take some very expensive hardware and probably multiple computers to use Alts to get around the technology that is presently available IF Trion simply used it. So, you might have a small number of players with Alts. But then, Those characters would be easily identified in game, and thus could be banned, since there numbers were so low.

    If Trion wanted to shut the door on Alts, they CAN. The Technology exists.

    They simply Don't.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Witchbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Kraken
    Posts
    1,067
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
    If Trion wanted to shut the door on Alts, they CAN. The Technology exists.

    They simply Don't.
    They made it clear in the earlier stages of the game that they are capable of doing that but the players at the time wanted alts to exist. This so called catch up mechanic that players wanted ultimately caused many problems later down the road. Honestly I wish Trion just said no and dealt with the problem at that time. It would be way too late to remove them now. So many players have invested time and money into multiple accounts for that purpose. Removing that capability will only anger players and drive more players to leave.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Aycee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Mirage Isle
    Posts
    730
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchbell View Post
    They made it clear in the earlier stages of the game that they are capable of doing that but the players at the time wanted alts to exist. This so called catch up mechanic that players wanted ultimately caused many problems later down the road. Honestly I wish Trion just said no and dealt with the problem at that time. It would be way too late to remove them now. So many players have invested time and money into multiple accounts for that purpose. Removing that capability will only anger players and drive more players to leave.
    Save the Game Update: All bound items can be transferred to mains for a month, after that crack down on alts. Servers will be merged down. Give out whatever compensation Trion feels is necessary. Push out the update, no matter how vocal the opposition is.

    Trion needs to be more assertive with their player base and with XL.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
    Wow. I've never seen anyone try to get sympathy because running 10 alts is hard, and Claim the benefit is small.

    My complaints with the multiple Alts is - It's a Game Mechanic Cheat Code. Why is it a Cheat? Because they DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the event that they are taking the reward from. THEY DO NOTHING to help complete the task. I go to Kadum, i fight Kadum, I die occasionally at Kadum, but I contribute damage to kill the boss. If it were up to your Alts, YOU WOULD NOT WIN. You would Not receive anything. Because the Alts are NOT Participating.

    They just stand and do Nothing, and when everyone else does all the work, then they take 350 gold. That's not "playing" the game. That's abusing mechanics.

    We had an almost full raid against the WS WB. And when we launched the attack, only HALF the characters in the raid even moved. The Elephant is a Tough WB, and after 10 minutes, we had to give up. We didn't kill the WB because so many Alts were parked in the raid trying to siphon free prestige.

    Best thing they could do for this game is get rid of the multi-boxing.
    That wont fix anything and probably make things even worse, this game is designed as F2P and changing that will kill it.
    They need to make things accesible, do-able and not making it a frikkin job to do.

    Take charcoal / cargo.. where is it?.. base mat for a lot of important stuff, in the next patch (5.0?) we get an infinite supply of cargo, we need that now
    Alts do no or little damage to the game, and getting rid of them will empty the AH so fast that the whole economy would collapse in a matter of days.
    XLgames does damage to the game by patching weird stuff into the game, making everything harder to get or almost impossible and ppl just run away..
    If you make this game sub-based.. then the game is done.. at this stage?.. ppl that were F2P are not willing to pay for the game, and ppl that left wont come back massively because multi-boxing is gone or F2P is gone, they will come back if this game is getting better in terms of getting things done!

    XLgames better learn and make sure this game is not a job, but something you can do besides your job.
    Bring a new dungeon once and awhile.. a returning player after 3 years comes back to the same old thing as 3 years ago with only Hiram as a big change and the trading system.. the rest of the changes also made it even worse..

    Its not the alts making a mess of this game, its XLGames..

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
    See, this is where i disagree. It's Not that difficult to stop probably 95% of it. Everything starts at the Log-in. I've played games where If you try to log in with a second account you get a message saying its not allowed, and it is physically impossible to do so. Using a VPN is still simply sending the computer info from a different specific address. Logging in from the same vpn at the same time is going to show as 'the same' address and can be stopped.

    It would take some very expensive hardware and probably multiple computers to use Alts to get around the technology that is presently available IF Trion simply used it. So, you might have a small number of players with Alts. But then, Those characters would be easily identified in game, and thus could be banned, since there numbers were so low.

    If Trion wanted to shut the door on Alts, they CAN. The Technology exists.

    They simply Don't.
    Ehm.. its really so easy to get multiple ip addresses and mac addresses, even if they did everything to fight this.. alts will still be around, that is 1 reason why alts are still around, the 2nd reason is.. Alts actually keep this game alive.. take away alts and the majority needs to collect iron and stone and other mats themselves..i can tell you now.. the majority will not run around in quarry's gathering mats........ and thus... no mats :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts