+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got Ideas for Archeage Remastered

Post Got Ideas for Archeage Remastered

If Archeage were to release an updated NA game with slightly better graphics, what would you want to see in the remaster?

What are 3 changes you would like to see?

What are 3 things you would keep?

Would you play a remastered version of Archeage if it were to release?

Would you like to see Archeage released on console?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Please keep it professional guys and nice. ill be posted some of your ideas at Trion worlds and Archeage on Twitter maybe we can convince them to try and remaster Archeage for NA.

Wanna post your own ideas? Let's use #AARemastered with your ideas you can also tag me @ https://twitter.com/Xx_Wats_up_xX

Assuming you mean something like BDO's remaster, just talking about similar aspects rather than full-on gameplay design changes:

Stuff I'd change:
    Revert some of the visual changes they made over time and improve the old foundation. With the port to CryEngine 3, ArcheAge settled on a more subdued, "grounded" look for their graphics rather than the stuff that was closer to the Aion generation. But they didn't do as good a job faking it like BDO since they were just reusing existing assets and they can't really afford to fully rehaul into a physically-based system.

So what we have now are a bunch of inconsistent shaders and a lot of assets that look disappointing because they were designed for a different look. They've also taken a lot of the "magic" out of the game's graphics in their quest for optimization and coherency. You have real particle lights replaced by low-quality sprites, you have mobs shrunk so much that they don't look threatening at all, you have assets that have broken over time or were never fixed (hell, the vegetation physics have been completely disabled for player characters now).

Rehaul their vehicle physics. Again, probably another issue with using the old CryEngine systems for stuff they weren't supposed to be used for. The vehicles are stuck in this space of being overly sensitive due to its "realism" and having a variety of restrictions due to their effect on gameplay. Using pretty much any vehicle in ArcheAge feels like crap (though it's relatively better than vehicles in other MMOs).

Replace old BGM. BDO's BGM got complaints for making people sleepy, but the majority of ArcheAge's BGM is even more lackluster. There are a few standout tracks like the Main Theme, but they're either rarely used in the game or cut up like crazy in the various zone triggers that you rarely hear the good parts.

Pretty much all of Auroria has this ambient moaning sound, several zones recycle each other's BGM, and the music triggers are arranged like a themepark, not an open-world (meaning spaces in-between either have no BGM or BGM that's conflicting for the area it's in). And the housing plot track. Wow, this track. I get it's supposed to be calming considering what houses are used for, but it is so weird being somewhere like in the middle of a dangerous PvP zone and having this nursery-like song playing.

Stuff I'd keep:
    Water. ArcheAge's water is arguably the best in the industry right now. BDO's updated water has some great tech behind it (especially integrating it with the weather and stuff like waves), but it doesn't feel good swimming in it. Though it'd be great if this could receive an upgrade too, this CryEngine ocean looks pretty much the same wherever you are in ArcheAge.

The UI. If there's one thing I have to give to ArcheAge, it's that their UI isn't a giant cluster♥♥♥♥ of ♥♥♥♥. They keep things squirreled away pretty neatly and have enough flexibility for power users, but enough simplicity for casuals. This also has room for improvement though, namely being that some of the UI is done in a clunky-♥♥♥ way. Group Finder is a perfect example, the functionality is actually pretty simple and has some features for power users. But it's hidden away along PATRON options for some reason and some of the extra features like the listing description never gets used. The World Map is another good example, lots of icons, some nice features like path marking, but has so few zoom levels that you can't tell any of the icons apart!

And whoever thought it was a good idea to expand every single crafting option by default in the crafting window is a ♥♥♥♥ing troll.

Skill effects. Like the UI, ArcheAge has actually done a good job here reducing visual clutter. I mean, it's still rough seeing wtf is going on during big fights, but not nearly as bad as other games. But this also means skills have lost some of their "magic" as well, they don't look very interesting or feel epic. I'd probably be okay with the skill effects as they are now, but having them pumped up a bit wouldn't be bad either.

I don't think ArcheAge would be a good fit for console. There's too much downtime in general activities and too big a reliance on non-instanced content for console players. Not to mention the Labor system.

I also don't think ArcheAge needs a big remaster like BDO got (especially since AA doesn't seem to have a dedicated engine team like BDO). Its current engine is a real pain in the ♥♥♥ anyways, a remaster would require moving to a more flexible engine like UE4 (which they moved to using for their later projects that got canned). But what the game SORELY needs (hopefully after they finish the design changes) is POLISH. Like seriously, complete all the half-assed crap, update all the old-♥♥♥ assets, make sure your stuff actually works before releasing.

Quote Originally Posted by wooglemoogle View Post
    I also don't think ArcheAge needs a big remaster like BDO got (especially since AA doesn't seem to have a dedicated engine team like BDO). Its current engine is a real pain in the ♥♥♥ anyways, a remaster would require moving to a more flexible engine like UE4 (which they moved to using for their later projects that got canned)..
    Really good feedback here but I have to disagree with using UE4. It will not support the amount of players of a healthy population without undue affects on the server itself. It is an amazing engine but mostly meant for single player as Ashes of Creation will find out when they start load testing.

Unfortunately, I don't think ArcheAge will be around for much longer. They are doing exactly what SWTOR did right after their population left, by going down to 2 servers per region. The only reason Star Wars is still around is because they've been working on a replacement for 5 years (scrapped 3 times) and have the backing of both franchise exposure and EA's money (not to mention some of the best story lines of any mmo).

I agree AA is already settling down to only having 3 servers for NA in October. I think this is the beginning of the end. or maybe the middle of the end. This game really is great and could have been so much more but Trion refused many many times to listen to their players.
    <Ainz Ooal Gown> Recruiting Mages for a Mage only Guild Come join and Chill! Looking for members of all experience levels. You know you ran into us when you get hit by 10 meteors and then 50 gods whips.

+ Reply to Thread