+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of Land

Lack of Land

As a founder and someone that purchased the game back when it 1st came out years ago, the lack of land was an issue and I left for years, now returning and attempting to play, land is harder to find than ever.

Now I ask this of the game devs.
    Why do I give money to be a patron so I can "own virtual land" yet, there is NO land, guilds and groups have all the land, they ask crazy prices for the land.
    I aso am forced to wonder,

"why do I pay to have the privilege of giving other players money?"

Looking in the ingame store - all those wonderful things I'd love to buy from the game devs except , if you dont own a house, those items are useless. So the only good side is under the current method for land, it helps me keep money in my pocket as I cant spend it on items in game as there isnt any land to put the items down.

It seems strange that a game dev would put the ability of players to own land and generate money for the company in the hands of players.

I'd love to purchase those items in the ingame store, but as you cant buy land to put a house on unless you want to give a player way too much gold by selling apex's marketplace sales really offer nothing to me.

dont get me wrong I love the game, the land mechanics baffle the hell out of me as to why they limit the land and sales to a point it reduces the dev's income by limiting who can give them money.

There's a very good reason land is limited to a few areas -- server performance. At one time there was a big problem with excessive lag near housing areas. All those crops and decor items create a massive load on the servers. This was finally mitigated to some extent by making the render distance very small. But unless some miraculous advance in performance happens, we will never be able to have a lot of additional land in existing zones.

Quote Originally Posted by romonster View Post
    There's a very good reason land is limited to a few areas -- server performance. At one time there was a big problem with excessive lag near housing areas. All those crops and decor items create a massive load on the servers. This was finally mitigated to some extent by making the render distance very small. But unless some miraculous advance in performance happens, we will never be able to have a lot of additional land in existing zones.
    That's an interesting issue, Romo. I had not thought of that, but I can see it. Reminds me of the days in WoW where upon realizing we weren't going to succeed in defending the king, we whipped out all our pets and toys in an attempt to crash the server.

I am in agreement with the OP that something needs to be done. I was a big fan of raising the tax rates in hopes it would deter land grabs. Still seeing many plots unused, this doesn't appear to have worked. With all attempts at "regulation," the people being regulated are smarter and find a way around it. The game markets land ownership as an incentive for patronage, but I'm finding it disheartening that in addition to paying for patronage, I'd need to fork over as much as tens of thousands of in-game gold to land barons. I won't do that due to principle. Unfortunately, that leaves waiting for server population to decrease in order to get what was promised, but that comes with other undesired effects.

What about a "service fee" imposed on sales of land? In real life, most of use pay about 6% to real estate brokers in addition to closing costs, lawyers, banks, etc. What about putting a 20% fee on land sales? The fee would reduce the amount of transactions, discourage the cottage industry of hoarding/selling land and force players to commit to longer term plans with this rare commodity. The fee could go into the Community Center coffers to be dispersed to the active residents each time it is eligible. I'd be interested to see how that changes the dynamic.

It would not work. Selling a plot only. Pay me and I demo the plot.

They probably could add more zones like Ahnimar and Rokhala, that have nothing but housing in them. If what I've been told is correct, each zone is actually its own server, with a seamless handoff as you cross into another zone. I think that's why we have the two housing-only zones now. That way there's no impact on other content.

I look at the past and current decoration packs in the market place store.
    The items that cost crystals, How or why would I buy $50 of crystals to buy some furniture and decorations if I don't have a place to put or use the items.
    kind of self defeating if you are trying to make the developers money

But wait, lets add limited inventory and make everything bound, now you cant use a chest or any storage device, only your bank and backpack.
    Looks like I don't have a reason to buy a bunch of chests to store more items in. sure I can put my crafting supplies in that, but again, kind of need land again.

Nice to see the game developers arn't in this to make money, they would rather make it more lucrative for gold making landbots to exist and make the cash via archage gold for sale websites.

Its really sad as Im only ♥♥♥♥♥ing because I like the game, but give me a way to own land thats not at the whim of a player.

If you are a founder don't you think that land was way more scarce at the beginning than it is right now?
    I honestly don't see much of a difference between like 2015 (so some months into the game) and now. People claim land to sell it so you either need to put in some effort (time to look for demos or open spots) or gold.
    A child of song, a child of rage
    Abandoned in another age
    Now ancient hate and rhymes that bind
    Make paradise a tomb divine
    And demons trapped in beauty’s thrall
    Hunt those who heed the bloodsong’s call.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambaredolas View Post
    If you are a founder don't you think that land was way more scarce at the beginning than it is right now?
    I honestly don't see much of a difference between like 2015 (so some months into the game) and now. People claim land to sell it so you either need to put in some effort (time to look for demos or open spots) or gold.
    Whenever servers are healthy and populated, land has always been valuable. On dead servers you could find it more easily. But there is a difference between now and the very beginning. At the start people didn’t have bags full of full kit designs to throw down a dozen at a time. Still, even today you can get land if you are willing to either accept its value and pay for it, or work hard to find and grab some as it expires and demos.

Give it 2 months, most of the unpopular housing zones will be half empty and people will be whining on the forums about no players and when the next merge is.
    Epic Erenor Scepter - 856 Magic Att, 733 gimped DPS.
    Epic Erenor Katana - 815.3 DPS.
    Epic Erenor Bow - 693 DPS... worse than the gimped weapon even though it's a primary weapon.
    "Balance" . . . This doesn't even take in to account the 978.4 epic erenor nodachi, or 978 mAtt staff.

We need 8x8 housing or 8x16 housing. AA trailer park? LOL
    --`--,--{@ Tempeste the Forager @}--,--'--
    @} Homeless So Far! {@
    *v* <For the Love of Cake>*y*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast