+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide & FAQ] Pre-Beta: Can you run AA!

[Guide & FAQ] Pre-Beta: Can you run AA!

I’m sure we’re all super excited for Archeage Founder packs. But I realized it would be a real shame for someone to buy AA and sadly find out their computer just doesn’t cut it. So this guide will cover ways to check your own personal hardware, and basic hardware recommendations to get the best out of Archeage.

About my tech knowledge.
    I’ve been building computers from way back in 1996 to today. And have suggested and assisted in the building of well over 30 pc’s that have made their owners quite happy. I am neutral when it comes to chip manufactures. Though do have my Brand personal choices. There isn’t any question I’m not willing to try and answer. And if I can’t give you a proper one I will gladly point you to a few locations where the people there can gladly help.
    I can also help and will be creating a guide for beginning the diagnosis of computer crashes, and game crashes.
    *though I do need to get some more information on how Archeage creates crash reports.

Table of Contents:
    1. What are Computer Specs
    2. Ingame Settings!
    3. Trion Minimum System specs
    4. Alakuu’s recommended Specs
    5. Alakuu’s minimum (SUGGESTED) Specs
    6. System builds (by request)
    7. FAQ and player question highlights.

What are Computer Specs:

A computer consists of a few main parts that have reasonably understandable “performance” numbers attached to each part. The nice thing about it is you really don’t have to know a whole lot of information about what each thing does. If you can figure out the basics then you’re set for simple comparisons.

CPU: Also referred to as you’re Processor.
    Numbers to know:
    • Clock speed (always in GHz) examples: 4.0ghz, 3.5ghz
    • Number of cores (should always be more than one) Examples, 2, 4, 6, 8
    • Manufacture: Intel, AMD.
    • Or just get the basic model number!Examples: AMD FX 8350. Intel i5 4670
    Video Card: Also referred to as your GPU.
    Numbers to know:
    Model Number
    • Memory size : 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, etc

Memory: Also referred to as RAM. (Note this isn’t the same thing as the memory on the video card.)
    Numbers to know:
    • Memory size

Hard Drive: Also referred to as HD, or SSD.
    Numbers to know:
    • Size. Listed in Gigabytes or Terabytes
    • Type: SSD, Disk, Hybrid
    Monitor: Sometimes referred to as your TV. But not often.
    Numbers to know:
    • Resolution size. 1080p, 720p, 1440p

And that’s about all you need.
    With this much information I can easily give you a reliable ballpark number for your in-game experience! As well as provide you with a solid idea of where you may want to upgrade, and to what.

BUT wait Alakuu! I don’t know where to find all this information you’re asking for!!!
    How to detect your computer Specs!

There are a few ways to go about this. And it really comes down to what kind of computer you are using.

Are you on a PREMADE system? If so find the MODEL number of the computer. You can generally search the Brand of the computer, and where to find the model number; if you are having a hard time locating this information.

Custom built? Well hopefully you know the majority of this information. If not I have a few utilities I can suggest you use to fully find what is on your computer!

*caution* while these utilities are used by many different people I can’t take responsibility for any problems that may arise from the usage of them (I don’t think there can be any problems, and am more than willing to help fix any problems you might come across) I just won’t be held liable.

What CPU do I have?
    1. I’m on windows 8: Open up task manager by pressing CTRL ALT DELETE all at the same time. Go to performance. When you have the CPU tab selected you will see the name and model of your CPU.
    2. I’m not on windows 8. Downloading CPU-Z is the easiest way to find your CPU model. Also if you are not finding the information you need on windows 8 use this.
    You’ll be looking for the “NAME” of your CPU.
    ALSO great thing about CPU-Z, in the Motherboard tab you can find the model of your motherboard! This can be highly helpful for narrowing down possible upgrade avenues*

What GPU do I have?
    1. Open up your driver Control panel. For Nvidia: find Nvidia Control panel installed on your PC, open it.
    At the bottom left there is a button that says System Information. You should be able to find out what the model number of your video card is.
    For AMD open up Catalyst Control Center At the bottom is information, go to HARDWARE. And look at Graphics Chipset section.
    2. Open the case. If you own a reasonable video card then it will be a long brick like shape sticking into the motherboard. Somewhere on the card should be a listed Model number.
    *CAUTION* don’t take the card out, or unplug ANYTHING. No liquids or anything else should be put inside the case. *I am not liable for any problems you may cause doing this.*
    3. Install GPU-Z
    Try and get the model number and also clock speeds / memory if you use GPU-Z.

What Memory do I have?

1. Open up task manager again. Under Performance you should have a tab called Memory, in that tab you should be able to find out how much total memory you have.
    2. Search Resource Monitor in windows, open it, and under the Memory tab there should be a value listed as Physical Memory, you’re looking for the “Total" value.

What Hard Drive do I have?

The best way I can give you to figure out what kind of Hard drive you have is to download Crystal Disk Info.
    Select the “installer” Standard edition. (Make sure you click in the proper download link. And as always don’t install any “addon extras that may come with an installer!!!”)

Once you’ve launched Crystal Disk info, it should list the hard drives currently on your system.
    If in the catagory "ROTATION RATE" the word SSD is there instead of a number value you have a SSD.

What Monitor Resolution do I have?

Navigate to Control Panel. Select Display. (Windows 8 users should select “Screen Resolution”)
    From there you’ll find the words Resolution, and a number x number (example 1920x1080.) That will be the size of your monitor.

Now that you’ve got all the information collected and you are looking for suggestions or more information regarding your computer and how I believe it will run in-game post it to this thread and I will reply to you as soon as I can.

Ingame Settings Window

This is from the RU servers, I will update with US information if / when I can afford to buy into alpha!

Here you can find a few major options.
    Vertical Sync - USE if you don't like screen tearing and can manage to pull a constant 60fps, or 30fps
    WILL CAUSE INPUT LAG

Streaming Rendering.
    I haven't fully tested this setting, but it seems to improve performance while also causing high increases in CPU usage. If you have a strong Processor I *CURRENTLY* Recommend using this.
    There are some loading issues while ingame that may be caused in part by this option, more testing on my end will hopefully confirm or disprove this theory.

Settings here. FYI, Och. High, is Very high

SMOOTHING : POST AA. This is one of the largest performance hits in the game. And by far the least visual improvement for performance hit.
    If there is anything someone would like me to explain feel free to ask!

Trion Minimum System Specs
    Trion Specs

Ok so Alakuu why should I follow anything you suggest if this is what Trion is suggesting?
    Simple! Because I'm trying to expand upon them.
    When it comes to the question, "Can I at least run the game"
    Then Trion's specs are best to follow. But if your system isn't directly on there, then I can at least attempt to compare.

But the big thing is my minimal specs are higher than theirs! Why? Because I don't believe in playing a game with less then 20-30FPS. The experience is just less enjoyable.
    Hence I'm trying to suggest specs that will be enjoyable. Allow you to be COMPETITIVE in PVP. And overall not feel like the game is running like a slug!

***NOTE ABOUT ALL RECOMMENDED SPECS***
    Archeage offers extreme high quality AntiAliasing options to all NVIDIA cards.
    These options can cripple most of the suggested cards I have in RECOMMENDED specs. And can easily mess up your Minimal performance.
    AntiAliasing causes the jagged lines around objects to be less "jagged."
    Most players notice very little difference after 1x or 2x.

I highly recommend that you don't crank AntiAliasing very high due to the performance hits, to the actual overall gain. If you own a 780, 78ti, or a Titan, or Titan Black, then go for it. But otherwise players will notice major performance hits for very little gain.

Alakuu’s Recommended Specs!

Any combination of these parts should pull 60+fps at 1920x1080. Higher resolutions while are doable, tend to require into rather overly expensive systems and as such don't really need a guide.

STATEMENT: I'm listing just a few current / last gen hardware here for the most part. Because of that there are pieces of hardware that will pull quality performance that I haven't listed. If there is any question in regard to your personal specs please feel free to ask!

CPU: AMD: FX 8350, FX 8320, FX 6300 ; Intel: i5 3570k, i5 4670k, or greater. (i5's and i7's of the older series MAY pull Max, I just don't have enough info to say for sure)

GPU: Radeon: 7970, 7870, R9 280x, R9 290x ; Nvidia : 760, 770, 780.
    Any of the AMD 59(7)0 and up should manage.

Memory 8 – 16 gigs of ram. (Lower Cas latency is better period when shopping for ram**UNLESS YOU USE A APU**)

Archeage does a rather large amount of HD usage, I would recommend a SSD if you can.
    Overall a system with any of these combined will pull at MAX on 1080p, average FPS of 60. If you’ve got a 780 and an i5 4670k you could manage 2560 x 1600. But expect around 45-50fps average.

Alakuu’s Minimal (SUGGESTED) Specs!

These are my suggestions. People may have other suggestions. And they are BY NO MEANS the MINIMAL you can actually use to run Archeage. They are just my minimal suggestions to play the game at a reasonable frame rate.

STATEMENT: I'm listing just a few current / last gen hardware here for the most part. Because of that there are pieces of hardware that will pull quality performance that I haven't listed. If there is any question in regard to your personal specs please feel free to ask!

CPU: AMD: FX, 6100, 4100, MAYBE amd phenom IIx4 955 ; Intel: i3 3240, 3220, 4130.

GPU: Radeon: 7850, 7770, R9 260, 6850, 6870 ; Nvidia: 750, 750ti, 650, 650ti, 560(and up), 460(and up)

Memory 8gig or 6. 4 would cause problems.

*note about minimal suggestions.
    This list is based off of a few RU and KR benchmarks I’ve managed to dig up regarding performance of Archeage. While I completely understand that US isn’t the same game, the engine and system is for the most part the same. Baring major performance patches that RU or KR may have over US. I’ve inflated values for minimal to try and compensate for that possibility.
    Also note: I’m suggesting these systems will run an AVERAGE of 60 fps. If you are in a heavy populated area, or there is tons of stuff going on you will see dips.
    I will be revising and adding to these lists as I find more information regarding performance.

System Build List:

Please feel free to request a build from me! If you need individual upgrade suggestions, or a whole system.

Information I need to give you a proper build:
    • Budget. Please don’t break your bank. I will be valuing ASSUMING shipping (if you are located in the US.) As well as trying to have the budget consider the mail in rebates, so the prices doesn't go over at all.
    • Extra parts you’ll be using from pervious systems (Case, PSU, Monitor)
    • Any extra parts you would like suggestions on (mice, keyboard, speakers, headsets, mics)
    • The goal of the system. (Do you want to be able to stream? Play anything else at x quality settings?)
    • A grade of your knowledge on PC building. (If you don’t know how to use a screwdriver I’ll look into prebuilt systems)
    I will be linking all builds that I create for individuals here to help give people a place to start. Please don’t be shy about asking for a personal one though!

FAQ & Player Highlights:
    If you have any kind of tech related questions please feel free to ask them! I don't bite

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Futuza View Post
    Best way to look it up:
    windows key + r
    "dxdiag" + enter
    You can use this method to easily find CPU and Memory size.
    Thanks Darth!

Big thanks to Teashi for showing differences in Anti Aliasing between AMD and NVIDIA cards.

Added statements that my recommendations does not cover all possible hardware that may pull quality performance *Thanks Tazdrago
    Added a note on finding Motherboard information *Thanks ArcheRage

Link of performance graphs : http://gamegpu.ru/mmorpg-/-onlayn-ig...-test-gpu.html
    Head of Phoenix
    From the ashes we rise!

Forum Guide writer.
    Always looking for suggestions!
    My work so far:
    [Guide] Ins and Outs of Guild Creation
    [Guide & FAQ] Pre-Beta Can you Run AA!

No requests?
    Though I guess the viewer base probably is pretty setup for AA seeing as we're still in the prebeta phase.

Also those thinking this is the wrong place for the post. I agree. I'm an idiot and somehow clicked the create thread on the wrong tab. I'll probably try tweeting Scapes tomorrow or something.
    I think Trion is on a long easter weekend.

Just wanted to thank you for this info alakuu! Im currently working on getting a new machine, but what i have SHOULD be able to run the game on low-medium currently

Quote Originally Posted by Teramis View Post
    Just wanted to thank you for this info alakuu! Im currently working on getting a new machine, but what i have SHOULD be able to run the game on low-medium currently
    If you ever want someone to look it over, or give you any suggestions let me know! I live for this kind of stuff ^_^

it is possible to download the client ? even if you dont have alpha access?

"BUT wait Alakuu! I don’t know where to find all this information you’re asking for!!!"
    Best way to look it up:
    windows key + r
    "dxdiag" + enter
    Yay. You found your computer's stats.

Also the client takes up about 25GB of space after patching.
    "Reading is optional in online games" -jahlon, contestant for best post ever.
    Find a funny bug? Share it! | I am Nomad. | Priestess of Nui keeps trying to pay me Guilda stars to get me to hang out at her place. #CrazyGirlFriend

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Futuza View Post
    "BUT wait Alakuu! I don’t know where to find all this information you’re asking for!!!"
    Best way to look it up:
    windows key + r
    "dxdiag" + enter
    Yay. You found your computer's stats.

Also the client takes up about 25GB of space after patching.
    I've had some weird results for dxdiag in the past, and it doesn't give all the information that I'd like.
    My system under DXdiag.
    Video card isn't listing chip speeds.
    Video memory is completely wrong, I've got 2gigs of video ram, dxdiag shows the shared video memory to system. (not a good way of judging the videocard they have)
    Sadly with all ATI at least cards they list the series set instead of the actual model of the card. IE R9 200 series.

Though it is true dxdiag does give a easier way of accessing ram and CPU information. I'll give you that 100%.
    Also kudos for being the first player highlight I've done on a guide YEAH!

@Tkeasy, no you can't. Though there are ways of accessing RU and KR clients.

The download for RU is at 11gigs, fully installed I believe is as Darth Futuza is saying at 25~gigs of space.
    Head of Phoenix
    From the ashes we rise!

Forum Guide writer.
    Always looking for suggestions!
    My work so far:
    [Guide] Ins and Outs of Guild Creation
    [Guide & FAQ] Pre-Beta Can you Run AA!

Thank you for useful posts,hard to find one among all those crying and whining threads
    "And when you say that ghosts doesn't exists, you don't make them disappear, you're only making them more hungry".

"Systems burning and colliding, form the chaos , dark and light"

True it isn't the most detailed, but usually the average users don't need much more information than what dxdiag will give you. Also I'd be concerned if your dxdiag is listing information wrong, might indicate a possible issue.
    Yeah, that's what I meant to say, fully installed is about 25gig.
    "Reading is optional in online games" -jahlon, contestant for best post ever.
    Find a funny bug? Share it! | I am Nomad. | Priestess of Nui keeps trying to pay me Guilda stars to get me to hang out at her place. #CrazyGirlFriend

Mods are great. Just had to PM a mod and they kindly moved this thread where it belonged!

Darth. Yeah but I know but sometimes what you're looking for isn't always there.
    Wish DXDIAG showed the actual model of the video card =(

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast