+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for advice on gemming

Looking for advice on gemming

Im looking for some advice on gemming, I'm still progressing my gear and with the upcoming release of t4 hiram was wondering if this would be a worthwhile decision. I am on Nui, so i dont have access to a lot of the higher end gem upgrades, but currently my magic crit dmg sits just under 150% on my stats screen, could i get away with gemming for magic penetration or should i continue with crit dmg on everything

If you already took the Critical Damage route, you can't go for Magic Penenetation, if you don't reach a high enough Critical Damage's Threshold all the Critical Damage that you have will become useless making all the Slots where you putted Critical Damage wasted.

1k of Resilience reduce 14% Critical Damage, most people on Hiram Gear can reach 12k Resilience, this mean that 168% (So until 218% on your Stat Menu, since the Base 50% is not calculated and can't be reduced) Critical Damage will become useless against them...

So to make Critical Damage deal any kind of Damage you need to surpass 218% against someone with 12k Resilience (That will obviusly decrease the less Resilience your Target have, but you should always make your choice taking in consideration Geared people and not Low GS Players).

This is why a lot of people completly avoid Critical Damage as Stat and go Full Defence Penetration... But remember that going Full Defence Penetration make you useless in PvE (So take that in consideration if you run Dungeons or Farm a lot).

Quote Originally Posted by Harveaux View Post
    If you already took the Critical Damage route, you can't go for Magic Penenetation, if you don't reach a high enough Critical Damage's Threshold all the Critical Damage that you have will become useless making all the Slots where you putted Critical Damage wasted.

1k of Resilience reduce 14% Critical Damage, most people on Hiram Gear can reach 12k Resilience, this mean that 168% (So until 218% on your Stat Menu, since the Base 50% is not calculated and can't be reduced) Critical Damage will become useless against them...

So to make Critical Damage deal any kind of Damage you need to surpass 218% against someone with 12k Resilience (That will obviusly decrease the less Resilience your Target have, but you should always make your choice taking in consideration Geared people and not Low GS Players).

This is why a lot of people completly avoid Critical Damage as Stat and go Full Defence Penetration... But remember that going Full Defence Penetration make you useless in PvE (So take that in consideration if you run Dungeons or Farm a lot).
    arent there hardcaps and softcaps for this stuff? from what ive understood every stat has a cap where it starts being less effective

go to magic penetration, it's much better I had critical damage I do not notice much people go full Resilience aora me pass defense penetration I notice a lot that sip fundi much gold change but it's worth
    in the instrument I put Attack Speed for me the Cast time is not useful in this patches to the magician

Quote Originally Posted by Peashy View Post
    arent there hardcaps and softcaps for this stuff? from what ive understood every stat has a cap where it starts being less effective
    Resilience do not have a Diminishing Return, since is not a Multiplicative Reduction, but an Additive one... A fixed % Number get reduced every 1k Resilience (A fixed 14%) and not a % of the Total like for example in Tougness or P/M.Def where they follow the classic formula of Stat/(Stat+xxxx).

So no, there is not a Cap or Soft-Cap, if you have enough Resilience you make Critical Damage completly useless against you.
    The only Cap is the Resilience that you can accumulate, that is more or less 12k/12.5k, with Eternal Hiram T4 that number will become 13.5k/14.5k.

Quote Originally Posted by Peashy View Post
    Im looking for some advice on gemming, I'm still progressing my gear and with the upcoming release of t4 hiram was wondering if this would be a worthwhile decision. I am on Nui, so i dont have access to a lot of the higher end gem upgrades, but currently my magic crit dmg sits just under 150% on my stats screen, could i get away with gemming for magic penetration or should i continue with crit dmg on everything
    You're in luck because i JUST swapped from a full magic defence pen build 2 days ago

If you want to be effective with penetration you need to stack it as high as it goes.

When i swapped from mage to melee i was just under 10k magic defence penetration with 1700 magic attack with duel wielding (fk a shield)

With penetration its more effective the higher you stack it (up until you reach the enemies defence level)

Gives you almost no room for a crit build so instead stack attack speed with penetration

Not caring or worrying about rng crits is liberating.

However penetration is 100% for pvp and does NOT have a good application for pve.

If yiu start a toon on Aria west and message me i can give you in depth details.

Gl hf!

But yea with 10k magic pen. And 0% crit dmg it MELTS in pvp. Makes other cloth users feel like leather or plate users. If you fight against a geared crit healer they can outheal you if you dont use good cc. But against other mages its 2ez i never lose to another mage

Costly to reroll and regem everything for penetration though if your gear is all tunes for crits, so keep that in mind

You still go for 100% Critical Rate even in Defence Penetration Build... The reason why Defence Penetration Build is so good is indeed because the base 50% Critical Damage can't be reduced by Resilience.

So you aim for 100% Critical Rate and as much as you can of Defence Penetration avoiding completly Critical Damage.

If you don't go for Critical Rate you will end up guttering your Damage for no Reason, so you don't pick Attack Speed if in that Slot you can pick Critical Rate (Example: Hiram Weapon Bonuses).

The priority order of Defence Penetration Builds is: Penetration > Critical Rate > +% Multiplier ("+% Skill Damage" and if you are Melee also "+% Backstab Damage") > Attack Speed.

Already did all the Math about Defence Penetration vs Critical Damage on another Thread if interested, just search for my Posts and look for it.

+ Reply to Thread