+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Fishing Over-tuned? Post your thoughts here

Is Fishing Over-tuned? Post your thoughts here

Newer player to the Archeage franchise here. Loving AAU despite the launch / compensation issues. I do have a question though on the recent fishing bonanza that is being experienced on most if not all servers in AAU.

Do you feel that fishing is over-tuned at the moment? Or is it just a reflection of a lack of a better option to make money now that the ArchPass is offline?

My thought is that it is over-tuned, especially since fish are essentially a trade pack that does not suffer the same market effects as a normal trade pack does... i.e. the price you get per fish never fluctuates due to the amount of fish that are being turned in for gold.

What are your thoughts? I don't think they should necessarily change the fishing return on labor, but it would be nice to give players a better way to earn on the mainland instead of making it almost mandatory to start fishing. I felt the ArchPass gave us that mainland way to earn which is why I personally liked it.

Let's have a civil discussion here boys! Post your thoughts below.

Kind Regards,

Blackboa
    Former God of Albion Online
    Current Noob of AAU
    Twitch Stream

nah, the problem is a lot of things isnt working (yet) and a bad designed tradesystem especially for a starting server like in aau

Sport fishing has been nerfed a lot during the last 3 years or something. Beside this you are constantly in a pvp zone in the open sea, risk vs reward. As in many things with a lot of changes during the years the balance between risk vs reward has been destroyed a lot but with fishing risk stayed the same or even increased and reward decreased.

I was a fisherman in the first 2-3 years of AA and it was a lot of fun. Before the changes it was worth doing if you didnt mind the risk (which gave fun aswel) and time

The prices of fish dropped a lot. Gargans in the past especially the marlin ones gave you between 35-40+ gold now you can be happy to catch a gargan for 20-25g ? Now most of the time you catch fry fish between 7-11g? Back then you had at least 13-14g and higher per fish. It was a real rush to catch a gargan and the tension it gave to deliver it safe. The funny moments when you were attacked and you were hitting the enemy (haranya/pirate/pk) with the rod because you forgot to change weapon

Labor stayed the same for catching a fish. Delivering fish was 0 in the past now it takes lb

Spots werent mixed it was a marlin, sturgeon and a thirth one (dont remember the name) which sometimes was time consuming to find a marlin spot which for obvious reasons ppl went for.

Spots had a 45mins timer after chumming but you could catch as many as you could. Now there's a max amount per spot which killed the big raids when this change arrived.

You could stock fish on a plot on an island and now you cant.

A good change was the rod and lure system. Now you can craft a perm rod and a lure that gives you 2hours fishing time. In past the rods had a timer and for every try to catch a fish you needed a lure.

I liked fishing a lot back then despite it was sometimes time consuming but we had big raids and the gold was worth it vs time, the risk and lb if you liked to fish.

Im still sad that they changed fishing like this, maybe it needed some little changes but to my opinion they went to far despite i'm a person who adopts easily to changes.

Hey reddevil,

Thank you for your well thought out response to this. Your points about the nerfing of fishing in the early days of AAU are well noted. I do take issue however with your assumption of risk vs reward in fishing as well as your comment that some of the old changes to fishing killed fishing raids.

Currently, fishing raids are alive and well. In fact, I see more calls in nation chat for fishing raids than I do any other call to action. Although i do see risk in fishing if you are doing it alone or in a small group, a large fishing raid has little to no risk. As such, the reward seems a bit over-tuned at the moment. Will these raids cease to exist once everyone receives the fishing boat achievement? Perhaps that is yet to be seen.

However, if they persist past the point of fishing boat achievement saturation, I would say that this many people fishing for such a prolonged period of time is probably not what the game intended. When the open world seems empty on the mainland because everyone is fishing, something obviously needs to be adjusted so that AAU doesn't just become a fishing simulator.

Again, I want to make clear that fishing doesn't necessarily need to be nerfed again, but something else needs to be buffed to give people options on the mainland. My point with the ArchPass was that it did give us a secondary option to fishing.

Thanks again for your input and feel free to address my counter points.

Reward should be tied to risk. If it's easier and safe to do something on land, nobody will fish. The point of the game is to bring groups into conflict.
    Aria - Pirate

Guys I'm glad to see the waters filled with people fishing! It should be worth more gold! You need ships, bait and you got to worry about pirates, the other faction, and even members of your own faction!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackboa View Post
    Hey reddevil,

Thank you for your well thought out response to this. Your points about the nerfing of fishing in the early days of AAU are well noted. I do take issue however with your assumption of risk vs reward in fishing as well as your comment that some of the old changes to fishing killed fishing raids.

Currently, fishing raids are alive and well. In fact, I see more calls in nation chat for fishing raids than I do any other call to action. Although i do see risk in fishing if you are doing it alone or in a small group, a large fishing raid has little to no risk. As such, the reward seems a bit over-tuned at the moment. Will these raids cease to exist once everyone receives the fishing boat achievement? Perhaps that is yet to be seen.

However, if they persist past the point of fishing boat achievement saturation, I would say that this many people fishing for such a prolonged period of time is probably not what the game intended. When the open world seems empty on the mainland because everyone is fishing, something obviously needs to be adjusted so that AAU doesn't just become a fishing simulator.

Again, I want to make clear that fishing doesn't necessarily need to be nerfed again, but something else needs to be buffed to give people options on the mainland. My point with the ArchPass was that it did give us a secondary option to fishing.

Thanks again for your input and feel free to address my counter points.
    Indeed atm there are enough fishing raids on aau, I was mostly refering to what happened on f2p at the point they made those changes to fishing. Its nice to see fishing is alive at this point on aau.

I think the problem atm on AAU the economy isnt balanced out yet. Lack of certain materials, to low proficiencies etc etc. This current trade system doesnt work if there arent enough of every kind of pack because the % depends on a ratio between them. Thats why this current trade system scks for a new starting server as with AAU.
    Atm most servers lack larders and as soon ppl will make them the % will increase again but that will take a while. The profit is so low with the mainland trade because the % dropped to the minimum for a lot of packs.

Recently they changed the gildastar packs, reward much higher which made larders less profitable to make, which caused inbalance in the trade % on legacy. As far I know xl made a change to larders to make it more worth to craft but that will take some time till it hits our version.

Anyways as soon the economy gets more balanced the profit from main land trade will increase and fishing wont look so over tuned.

Don't assume large fishing raids are totally safe, lol. We had a single galley with legendary torpedos roll up on ours the other day. Took out like 10 people at once, broke up the raid, and netted them most of our fish

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrael View Post
    Don't assume large fishing raids are totally safe, lol. We had a single galley with legendary torpedos roll up on ours the other day. Took out like 10 people at once, broke up the raid, and netted them most of our fish
    lol yea ppl who already know this game enough will use this tactic. Doesnt matter how big a fishing raid is its never safe. Secondly a fishing raid is more vulnerable because they got the rod equiped and maybe some gear items for prof boost. With a sudden att out of stealth you're dead in a sec.

100% fishing is not even close to overtuned, Yes, Fishing is good, No Fishing is not the end all be all of money making. At base proficiency it costs 60 labor to catch and 50 labor to turn in your fish, ranging from what 7-25 gold depending on luck and you are sitting on waters that at any second a red galleon can come up and destroy you. Being in a large fishing raid isnt safe, if anything its less safe then being in a small group that knows what they are doing, while a large fishing raid will scatter and run as soon as the thought of reds comes into their mind. And lets say being in a large fishing raid meant you were 100% safe, if you are lucky youll catch 1 fish per chum considering the amount of fish per area vs the amount of people in the area, and thats just awful money for your time. I think you are overreacting to the current popular trend of how people are spending labor, and not taking into account just how much else there is to do in the game with very similar, if not better rewards without the risk of completely losing everything and over half the fishes overall labor spent in the blink of an eye.

fishing is op because if you do larders, 80% of your larders placed will disappear after maintenance, stick to fishing, ♥♥♥♥ game...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast