+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dual wielding useless?

Dual wielding useless?

It seems to me you will almost never win a battle against a 2h wielding character of the same level as a dual wielder. The fact that skill dmg only scales off of your melee/mage attack of your main hand weapon, makes it seem almost useless. I'm aware that some swiftblade skills state that there is more crit dmg with off hand wep, or both weapons hit, etc. But it just doesn't seem enough when for example you fight against a 2h wielding DR who just has 30-40% more dps than you simply because they aren't sacrificing dps for having an offhand weapon? Idk while thing seems very poorly thought out and makes DW pointless in pvp. Idk lemme know if I'm wrong or missing something. Makes Deathwish class almost impossible to use against other melees unless you have a superior gear score. What do you guys think?

on the contrary dual wielding is extremely useful. but like all weapon bonuses it's clase dependant ideally one were attack speed is essential. i recently quite playing a 12.5k healer and started a new toon that uses dual wield and trust me it is awesome.

This isn't Swiftblade-specific but say, in a battle/shadow vs battle/shadow situation, someone with higher attack speed can set up certain CCs (ex: charge>triple>whirlwind) much quicker, and that can lead into a kill in a 1v1 situation vs someone who would otherwise out-DPS you. With Shadowplay, the higher aspd from DW means you can chain moves with Staggers (Overwhelm, Pin Down) in a more realistic way.

When you're running 2H, you're basically in a race to try to get your moves out before they break out of CC, so a combo might look like
    Charge > Triple Slash x1 > Whirlwind Slash (x2-3) > hammer > shadowsmite > sunder earth.

The biggest stylistic difference between 2h and DW style is that when you get a CC as dual wield, you need to use a lot of filler skills and maximize the time, so the combo above would look more like:
    Charge > Triple Slash x1 > Whirlwind Slash x3 > Triple Slash spam > Hammer > Triple Slash spam > shadowsmite > sunder earth > triple slash spam.

CC is really important when you're dual wield - you rush to land the CC and you try to get the most hits out before the CC ends.

For Swiftblade, it does mean that dual wield can spam up stacks of Instinct much quicker, so once you do get a CC, you should be able to get 2 stacks of instinct and get that delicious 80% skill damage bonus off of Twin Shadow Slash / Sinister Strike / Relentless Assault / Crescent Slice.

--

I basically built up a 2h and a dual wield dagger set when t3-epic hiram was the good stuff (pre-swiftblade) and compared performance with both in raid pvp / arena / small-scale so I could pick which one I wanted to pursue for an erenor project.
    Overall:
    2h was more efficient for things like raid pvp / heavy hits (so if you're trying to get out that shadowsmite>precision>sunder>whirlwind, 2H is your most efficient path).
    DW was faster at getting CCs off or winning a sustained dps race (ex: when all you're doing is spamming Triple Slash).

+ Reply to Thread