+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gear upgrade - synthesis, tempering, awakening and gems

Question Gear upgrade - synthesis, tempering, awakening and gems

Hi everyone,

I am seeing all these mad items getting synthesised with +19/+20 in the game, and I was wondering about them. I couldn't find much when I googled.

There are three item upgrade options - synthesis, tempering and awakening. There are also gems you can put in them.

I wonder what each is. I am guessing synthesis is some kind of upgrade of the item. What is the deal with synthesis? Can you upgrade any item with materials? What happens if you fail a synthesis on an expensive item?

What is tempering and awakening?

What is a lunarstone and a lunagem?

Thanks in advance.

If there is a tutorial or anything out there, would be really greatful.

This is a lot to unpack so I'll try and give you a TL: DR, but this is still going to be long.

The +'s your seeing are part of the tempering system, each + is a 1% increase in the states of the item. These are done by using tempering stones you find in game. You use those plus labour and gold to add the buff.

Synthesis is an alternative to the old regrade system. Basically you feed the main item several other items to increase it's grade. The items needed vary depending on what you are synthesizing. You can't fail a synthesis. However...

Awakening is also a part of this. Once an item has reached it's max grade (see the gear's tooltip for this) it can be awakened. This like the tiering system that gear used to (and for parts of the crafted system still do) use.

At current only dungeon gear, cloaks and Hiram gear can be awakened. Later crafted gear at the Erenor level will but we don't have that part yet. You awaken an item by using the correct awakening scrolls (see scroll tooltip for list), it has a chance to awaken, if it fails you have a better chance each attempt. Once awakened it's base stats go up but the grade drops by two. Awakening does not remove any lunagems, lunafrosts (stones) or tempering. While awakening there is a chance of a crit fail and the gear will crystallize, this means tyou can't modify the gear any farther. There are decrystalizing scrolls that you can use, their located in the honour shop, to repair it and continue trying.

Lunagems are the gems you slot into gear to gain additional bonuses. You can have as many gems in a piece of gear as it has slots and it gains more slots the higher grade it is. Lunastones apply a frost to the item, each piece of gear can only have one frost active at a time.

This is just a quick overview, if you have more questions just ask.
    Server: Kadum
    Faction: East/West

Experience colours perception.

Thank you Focslain for this explanation I too was lost! much appreciated

Thanks Focslain.

So from what I am hearing, the old regrade system is still in place in the game. Regrade allows you to upgrade an item and you can use a charm with the base rate to ensure a 100% success rate. BUT, if the item fails, it can crystalise or break the item, which is bad news.

So, they added the synthesis system. The synthesis system needs an item of the same grade to upgrade or something? Is the synthesis system replacing the regrade system? If the synthesis never fails, then it seems like a better choice to choose from right?

Thanks

1 thing about awakening, the grade drop isn't a static 2 but depends on the item how many grades it drops. For example: T1 hiram -> T2 hiram = 4 grades lost, T2 hiram -> T3 hiram = 2.
    Spellsinger > Revenant > Requiem / Battlemage > Zealot / Blightcaster / Spirtualist
    Dahuta > Tempest > Jakar

Quote Originally Posted by aindriu View Post
    Thanks Focslain.

So from what I am hearing, the old regrade system is still in place in the game. Regrade allows you to upgrade an item and you can use a charm with the base rate to ensure a 100% success rate. BUT, if the item fails, it can crystalise or break the item, which is bad news.

So, they added the synthesis system. The synthesis system needs an item of the same grade to upgrade or something? Is the synthesis system replacing the regrade system? If the synthesis never fails, then it seems like a better choice to choose from right?

Thanks
    Not quite, gear don't break anymore, it just crystallizes. So if you crit fail the regrade or awakening you can still use the gear to fight, it just can't be upgraded any farther.

The old regrade system is only in effect for crafted gear. Dungeon, hiram and Enenor gear are all via synthesis.

It seems like they are replacing the old regrade system with the semi-better synthesis system. I say semi-better be cause while you don't fail it cost a LOT of resources to upgrade, but you at least you get there.

As for the regrading system charms aren't really needed until around celestial these days as the rates have been buffed to help in getting up the tiers in the crafting line.

edit: Will have to correct myself, ship parts and pet gear still use the old regrade system including breaking, they don't crystallize.
    Server: Kadum
    Faction: East/West

Experience colours perception.

Quote Originally Posted by aindriu View Post
    Thanks Focslain.

Thanks
    Unless something changed, crystallization only happens for the crafted gear leading to Erenor (so stuff like Epherium, Delphinad, etc). Regrading is gradually getting phased out, but you can still regrade other gear like mob gear and leftover Obsidian gear. I think they're being careful about rolling out synthesis so they don't completely kill the regrade economy in one go.

Synthesis as a system is just "feed gear other pieces of gear to increase its grade". But the various gear lines have slightly different restrictions to synthesis. Hiram gear only takes other pieces of Hiram for synthesis. Dungeon gear only takes dungeon gear for synthesis. Erenor can take a wider variety of items, but only those that are at least the same grade (so a Divine Erenor would need Divine+ items). Should note that there are also items like Infusions which are solely used as EXP fodder for synthesis.

For endgame gear, it's basically Erenor and Hiram now (dungeon synthesis isn't quite as appealing yet, raid boss gear synthesis is niche). Since crafted gear and Erenors are tradable, you can start at a higher place much faster as long as you have gold/resources. Hiram is more time-gated because all the mats are bound and you have to start from the beginning yourself (though you can get some additional mats by shelling out).

Hiram can crystalize to when you try to awaken it but there are scrolls for decrystalization.
    Hiram drops only weapons and armour, not the necklaces rings and earrings. The old systems still apply to those equipments.

Quote Originally Posted by Focslain View Post
    This is a lot to unpack so I'll try and give you a TL: DR, but this is still going to be long.

The +'s your seeing are part of the tempering system, each + is a 1% increase in the states of the item. These are done by using tempering stones you find in game. You use those plus labour and gold to add the buff.

Synthesis is an alternative to the old regrade system. Basically you feed the main item several other items to increase it's grade. The items needed vary depending on what you are synthesizing. You can't fail a synthesis. However...

Awakening is also a part of this. Once an item has reached it's max grade (see the gear's tooltip for this) it can be awakened. This like the tiering system that gear used to (and for parts of the crafted system still do) use.

At current only dungeon gear, cloaks and Hiram gear can be awakened. Later crafted gear at the Erenor level will but we don't have that part yet. You awaken an item by using the correct awakening scrolls (see scroll tooltip for list), it has a chance to awaken, if it fails you have a better chance each attempt. Once awakened it's base stats go up but the grade drops by two. Awakening does not remove any lunagems, lunafrosts (stones) or tempering. While awakening there is a chance of a crit fail and the gear will crystallize, this means tyou can't modify the gear any farther. There are decrystalizing scrolls that you can use, their located in the honour shop, to repair it and continue trying.

Lunagems are the gems you slot into gear to gain additional bonuses. You can have as many gems in a piece of gear as it has slots and it gains more slots the higher grade it is. Lunastones apply a frost to the item, each piece of gear can only have one frost active at a time.

This is just a quick overview, if you have more questions just ask.
    Focslain,

Thank you very much as I had many of these same questions. I have a couple more if someone can answer these:

1) For crafted gear, I noticed gems and lunafrosts would disappear if that gear is recloaked and crafted to the next tier. Is tempering also sacrificed in this scenario (I'm guessing yes).

2) For Erenor gear, as the gear is upgraded (basic -> grand -> etc), gems, tempering and frosts remain, correct? So upon crafting to Erenor from Ayanad, there is no reason not to gem and temper, right?

Thanks again.

I thought it was 1% up to +20 then it's. .5% till +30

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast