+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: To ban or not to ban

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,269

    To ban or not to ban

    It seems to me, that banning accounts for cheats/exploits, is a bit of a sticky wicket in Unchained. It's perfectly fine to take away something that does not monetarily cost the player anything, such as an account on a Free to Play server. You are not denying the player access to the game. They can make a new account and start over.

    But when a player Buys a game, and the Company turns around and says 'We are not going to allow you to play the game', no matter what the reason, THAT I can see as being a real problem for the Company. Which may be why the Company is now very slow in banning accounts where cheating/exploiting has been well documented.

    It would seem to me, that a wiser approach would be to simply remove all the Characters on the Account from the game - wipe them right out, but leave the Account untouched. In this way you are not denying the person who purchased the game from playing, and yet you have a very powerful response to cheating/exploits.

    You simply make the player start over.

    IMHO

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
    It would seem to me, that a wiser approach would be to simply remove all the Characters on the Account from the game - wipe them right out, but leave the Account untouched.
    then couldn't they just cheat again?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    7
    Its totally legit to completely ban account for cheating. People bought the right to play the game and at the same time agreed to the rules. Cheating is against the rules, so they broke the contract between the publisher and the player. Its not the fault of the publisher, that they broke this contract, so there is no refund. That easy.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Turambaredolas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Taris (Nuia) | Alexander (Haranya)
    Posts
    1,929
    I partly agree with your argument, dumbo, but there is something else you'd have to keep in mind:

    If you get banned, appeal and are unbanned you can get access to your account just where you left off.
    If your characters get erased, appeal and they consider it an incorrect action taken against you - you have nothing.

    I can't say how often incorrect bans and appeals actually take place since it has never happened to me or a friend of mine, but it exists.
    A child of song, a child of rage
    Abandoned in another age
    Now ancient hate and rhymes that bind
    Make paradise a tomb divine
    And demons trapped in beauty’s thrall
    Hunt those who heed the bloodsong’s call.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
    It seems to me, that banning accounts for cheats/exploits, is a bit of a sticky wicket in Unchained. It's perfectly fine to take away something that does not monetarily cost the player anything, such as an account on a Free to Play server. You are not denying the player access to the game. They can make a new account and start over.

    But when a player Buys a game, and the Company turns around and says 'We are not going to allow you to play the game', no matter what the reason, THAT I can see as being a real problem for the Company. Which may be why the Company is now very slow in banning accounts where cheating/exploiting has been well documented.

    It would seem to me, that a wiser approach would be to simply remove all the Characters on the Account from the game - wipe them right out, but leave the Account untouched. In this way you are not denying the person who purchased the game from playing, and yet you have a very powerful response to cheating/exploits.

    You simply make the player start over.

    IMHO
    I get where you're coming from but we all agree to certain concessions when we buy the game. The developers and publishers main priority is to the integrity of the game, not to the success or failure of each player. They don't always straight out ban players, as they have done suspensions/temporary bans. However, if something was done that is greatly negative or a blatant disregard for the legal ToS that players agreed to, then they do a full ban. Keep in mind this doesn't prevent players from being able to play the game, but it does make it where you have to make another investment.

    Most important thing to consider is that it takes resources and time for them to manage everything. Their main source of profits are from people buying the game, as this isn't a subscription model and it's not a p2w cash shop. If you use that to consider action, then the threat of a ban should be a pretty big deterrent to players as otherwise they have to shell out another $25+ to get the game and start over. As to the company, it's an incentive to them because either that's one less bad person to worry about or they get more money from the person buying another copy of the game. It's a win/win situation.

    How is your deleting characters going to be much of a deterrent? Those who know of cheats and exploits won't be afraid to use them. They also tend to have backup plans, such as second accounts or whatever in which they store some or all of their wealth. Take me for example, Pockethealz was my first main but I've since switched and play primarily on another account. I might talk using this character yet and if something happened to the account I'll lose my 60k+ Construction, 10k+ fishing, my cutter, the 4+ farms it has, etc. Those and other things I haven't listed are quite valuable and useful to me, but if I suddenly lost the account it wouldn't suddenly be the end of the world for me because my stronger characters would still be available on the second account. Now if we reversed that and said other account is gone, then I'm losing out on higher gear and gold, but I still have an ancestral with farms and everything available to me. So it would just be a minor setback.

    If you were to tell me that in one, I might lost all my characters but get to keep everything else, it's not that big of a risk to me. I'm still not the type to do it, but just trying to say what kind of threat is that? In fact, I'll end up profiting more if I get a free deletion on the one instead of having to wait 7 days. However, threaten to take the account away and I lose money or completely lose out on the resource of a second account, and you'll get my attention.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    2,225
    You break the rules, you suffer the consequences.

    If Trion had enforced things like this 5 years ago, this game wouldn't be hip deep in ♥♥♥♥.

  7. #7
    Senior Member feobroken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Wynn when AAU goes live.
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    You break the rules, you suffer the consequences.

    If Trion had enforced things like this 5 years ago, this game wouldn't be hip deep in ♥♥♥♥.
    This ^^^ pretty much sums up the issue aa has overall.
    https://archeageroleplay.shivtr.com//
    Tahmoh (East).
    Faolain (west).

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts