+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old Character and player - new gear sytem

Old Character and player - new gear sytem

As the title suggests, I played this game quite some time ago, startet playing in October/November 2014 when the gear system was different than the current version of AA.

I can see that the starter gear can be upgraded all the way to Hiram gear(Forums, Google and Youtube provided that knowledge) but what about an old character from before the gear system change, are they just screwed or do I buy the starter gear from weapon/armor merchant and hope I can upgrade without the starter gear infuse scrolls and the rest you get on a new character, or do I get it through an Alt?

Help is much appriciated so I can get at least some decent gear on my old Darkrunner

you can grind hiram gear in pretty much any auroria zone diamond shores is pretty popular due to the long peace time however i believe sungold and exloch also drop hiram items. its rng like all drops so might take a few hours, id advise running loot pots

Well i'll survive the rng, kinda used to that from other games i've played, and got a good stack of those pots in storage, but am I correct if I assume that it is the starter gear (Explores armor and weapon/s) there can be upgraded to Hiram, if I grind it ofc? if yes, what about the upgrades needed before Hiram, as I did all the quests there give a new character the stuff needed to do the first upgrades, before the current gear system was put into the game.

The new starter gear you can buy but the infusions and scrolls belonging to this explorer gear are bound so you cant get them from an alt / other chars.
    If you didnt play since 2014/2015 it prolly would be better to start a new char. Skill trees and skills have changed aswell and many other stuff. If you start a new char you get an explorer gear /wep. This gear you can improve with infusions and scrolls which you get from the mainquests while you lvl up and can only be used on this gear. At lvl 50 you can awaken it to t1 Hiram with already a few stats you can adjust to your preference while lvling.
    If you go grind for the hiram gear you start from 0 and the drops are random so it can take a while that you can get a complete set and the right stats. Idk what lvl your old char is and your old gear else grinding for this stuff can be hard to do and starting a new one would be much faster. Lvling is much faster compared to the old times.

[Legacy] Hiram for returning players

Welcome back. To add one thing:

Daily 'kill x abyssal mobs' quests in Diamond Shores (easiest), then Reedwind, Sungold and Exeloch give cloaked hiram pieces after completing the dailies a number of times. The Diamond Shores NPC is in a tent near Mistsong portal in DS, the other zones' npcs are right near where you port in. From memory there is a hiram starter quest in your hero hall that gives you a couple of free scrolls to these places too.

Most CR/GR raids will do the DS daily along with a bunker after the rift event, so join these raids and ask for a bunker/DS daily after the boss is dead, if you can't kill the mobs yourself.

This will get you a basic hiram set on your existing toon as well as some infusions to start levelling it ie you will be in almost the same position as if you had the starter quests/gear, except for rerolls. You should only need to grind for pieces to replace bad statrolls (remembering you get a free reroll with each tier) or for extra hiram food.

See here for possible rolls.

Tip: You will need a ton more infusions/scrolls so you should also be joining hiram daily raids including EHM/WHM - even while you are still regearing. Most EHM/WHM raid leads wont mind carrying a regearing player but just whisper them if unsure (and don't afk).

First of all, thanks for your help and advice

@reddevil - I played a bit on and off to 2016, then a long break to autumn 2019, started to play F2P but on patron atm, to get enough labor and get farms up and earning some gold and getting to know the game a bit again. Leveling is much easier these days, my old char ended at 55 quite fast through side quests and farming/loggin/mineing, which drops loads of exp these days.
    Even though i got a high level, my gear is trash; GS lower than 1000.

@sblmnl - Gonna take a second look at Diamond Shores, almost got my butt kicked by the mobs last time I was in the area, to see if my current toon/char even stand a chance. I will keep an eye out for the different raids after i've been around youtube to have just a crude knowledge of what i'm doing xD. Is the content of the Infusion crates from dayli login tracker add something useable if I was to try to grind the gear on my old toon/char?

So the easy way would be making a new char on my Patron account and keep my old char as a side "project" or a farming/gold making char.(Time to trash my Sorrowsong experiment or get an expansion scroll)

If sblmnl is referring to free gear from achievements, then the EHM and WHM daily quests (5 of them total vs 4 total in the other zones, so 9 total possible per day) also count towards those achievement counts.
    Obviously you won't be geared for those areas, but if you get into a "reset raid" you'll still get credit (and better infusions), so try and do those too.

In terms of solo farming, if you've got Battlerage leveled and are farming Reed/DS/etc level things, I recommend using the Frenzy skill: CC mob and 2-shot it even at 3k gs (or less).

You can also probably pick up some cheap gear on the AH that'll get you well past 1k GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzy View Post
    Is the content of the Infusion crates from dayli login tracker add something useable if I was to try to grind the gear on my old toon/char?
    Yes, those are infusions for level 50+ Hiram gear.

Personally I would not focus on 'grinding', particularly with such low gear, unless you really enjoy it and/or have heaps of spare time. It is far more efficient to focus on joining the daily raids I mentioned to get your basic Hiram set from the rewards, until your gear is at a level where you can kill mobs effectively.

In case it wasnt clear, yes you should also be doing EHM/WHM (which run at various times not just at server 'reset' ) even if you can't fight. In fact it would probably be better not to try to kill anything, particularly in EHM, so you don't slow the raid down. Just focus on keeping up with the leader and stay out of AOE. You may need help to get to the initial raid starting locations as you won't have completed the Hiram story quest.

I think it comes down to personal preference whether starting a new toon is 'easier' than progressing your old one. As I mentioned there are catchup mechanisms via the quest rewards that your existing toon can access immediately. Even if you make a new toon you must do the same dailies etc to progress their hiram gear once they are level 50. But if you enjoy the levelling experience then a new toon may be more fun for you.

PS: Very likely you will be called an 'alt' - dont take it personally, its just your gear score. Explain you are a returning player etc.

I'll take a look at the dayli quests/raids and find out what or how much i need to get the free gear from achievements. I'll Keep an eye out for gear on AH even though the weapon an armor section seems a bit empty on my server(EU-Jakar), but maybe i get something useable through my sorrowsong alt(had to try a caster). About the raids and dailys, i'll keep your advice in mind and stay away from trouble.

About a new toon; Leveling a new toon could be an option, yeah I can't make up my mind lol, but it could be a way to learn a bit more about the changes since i leveled my old char.

Gonna take a peek on skills when I get online in the game, as I wonder how much my Darkrunner has to change skills to be up to date, could say the same for armor(Leather) and weapon(Bow and Nodachi) types.

Well at least I won't be bored in game

Edit:
    Can find some gear on AH, but looking at the higher level gear, is there a site or database somewhere to compare and find gear names? just if I stumbled over something near the hiram gear.

Edit 2:
    raided AH for cheapish gear - GS just above 2000 now
    EU-Jakar

"...is there a site or database somewhere to compare and find gear names?"

Not names, specifically, but the codex lists everything in the asset database (look under Database> Items for gear). Depending how you filter it you can see a sortable list by level plus stats. It sometimes has additional info on the acquisition method.

You also can see how the gear score of dungeon/WB/crafted gear pieces compares to what you currently have equipped, by looking in the Item Encyclopaedia (click the icon at the bottom of your bag). It also gives hints about the acquisition path in the bottom RH corner.

Tip: Make sure you select the Item Grade of your currently equipped piece to get an accurate comparison of your gear score in the Item Encyclopaedia.

Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast