+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Purpling is Anti-Game

Purpling is Anti-Game

For those that are interested I laid out my case here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/archeage/co...inst_purpling/

It's interesting to see the reaction of the community (on reddit).

We once again have very few well-formulated reactions but a lot of toxic trash.

PS: Imagine telling one of the most famous content creators of Archeage NA/EU that the game isn't for him.
    A child of song, a child of rage
    Abandoned in another age
    Now ancient hate and rhymes that bind
    Make paradise a tomb divine
    And demons trapped in beauty’s thrall
    Hunt those who heed the bloodsong’s call.

I don't take it personally. The same people who advocate for essentially what I would call griefing, are the ones who will complain that there is no PvP left. From their point of view they can't see that every person, whether they are a PvPer, a PvEer or inbetween contributes to the game. As people quit the servers become stale, nobody wants to farm raw resources and prices go up. They then blame the Publisher or Developer because there is nothing to do or everything is to expensive. In such a state no new players want to join, the toxicity is at an all time high.

There are of course other issues with the game, purpling is just one that I feel has no place in Unchained. A better case can be made for Legacy Servers but just barely. There the business model is to get people to swipe, I think we all can agree on that. And purpling is a great motivator to make people feel under-powered and buy their way up. In Unchained it is about doing the dailies and finding a way to make the coin to upgrade your gear. As such when there is very little recourse (crime is rarely punished) the act serves little purpose to the longevity of the game. When you have a person or guild who think if you don't join their group you deserve to be purpled you have a recipe for a disaster on the server. To me the act even bad at inception is an archaic act that shouldn't be part of Unchained.

In an alternate world what would the servers be like if it was removed? Imagine a person being able to start today and find groups of people to level up with via dailies, while going out and gathering resources that contribute to the economy and making a little coin to gear up. Imagine a server that still attracted new players. Wow, what a horrible business plan that would be.

i agree wit op, for me in this game there is no pvp, i love pvp but not wat AAU offers that's not wat i call pvp its not fun its not skilled its all based off rng and gs and this part of the games not for me, idk why it cant be that fun 1 shottin some1 it's totally detrimental to the game as for purpling well op u said it all.

to me pvp in AAU is 0skill i have no incentive to upgrade my gs and deffo no reason to be a healer, why am i helping u wat for cause i could grind to upgrade my gs but why would i, i feel there is no real honor in pvp.

the game is really anti new player

I gotta agree as well. I play several other mmos. Its just a statement of Fact - this community is the most toxic, by far, than any of the other game communities that I play in.

I'm on Deni. I was trying to do Faction stuff. Didn't mind at all while running a pack that a red popped out and whacked me. That's part of the game.

What Id DID mind was answering a call to do a mana tower, the group gets together and we got 6 or 7 siege canons - we start the attack and someone purples and starts killing of siege drivers - just for the fun of it. We end up not completing the task and withdraw. And we stand a round a lot and watch the toxic chat. I finally just leave. This isn't fun. There's no point in being there.

Now, I'm told that they did complete the assault on the tower later, so everything was fine.

But THAT is NOT the point. Everything is not fine. You want me to help on stuff? Why? I waste over an hour and a half and nothing is accomplished because it was sabotaged by our own Faction members. I don't have endless hours to play. Even bothering to listen to Faction calls is pointless at this juncture. The azzhats just see those situations as opportunities to grief others. With the amount of garbage that is going on in East, I don't see any reason whatsover to lift a finger at a Faction event.

IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by dumbo View Post
    ...What Id DID mind was answering a call to do a mana tower, the group gets together and we got 6 or 7 siege canons - we start the attack and someone purples and starts killing of siege drivers - just for the fun of it. We end up not completing the task and withdraw. And we stand a round a lot and watch the toxic chat. I finally just leave. This isn't fun. There's no point in being there....
    Yes, this is exactly the kind of thing I refer to. Unfortunately for the people whom like to purple, they simply will not hear any logic that contradicts their world view of the way things should be. Ultimately, if this is allowed to continue or not addressed in a fundamental way, it will drive more and more people from the servers/game.

I will add this, the comment most said on Reddit is go back to WOW. Which is very ironic, not only that I did not come from WOW; I have been playing longer than any of those saying it, but that it is the Number 1 MMO on the market. The comment, while derogatory in nature, only speaks wisdom in the thought. Seeing what people like about WOW and emulating it, can't be a bad business idea.

I think we have to ask ourselves the reverse. Honestly what does Purpling solve or add to the game that can't be accomplished via another method? I am not opposed to the idea of making juries matter, in that, you can not have members of your guild serve on your Jury, you can not have family members serve on your jury, and if you are found guilty you are in jail for the duration of time you receive. There needs to be consequences for actions, that don't consist of finding the right jury. All that said it would take a huge overhaul to the justice system, when I still have the question in my mind, is it worth even trying to save. I hope XL/Kakoa and Gamingo sit down and figure it out.

I think the biggest issue with purpling isn't that it exists. It's that the consequences for doing so don't actually work, combined with the fact that overall the game activity rewards self centered behavior among those with a strong power fantasy. If crime points, trials, and jails actually served their intended purpose, flagrant abuse wouldn't be nearly as possible or rampant.

I know someone who is a top attorney in a large city, and his job is insanely stressful. I will never forget him telling me that he PVPs to take out his stress. Or rather, he GRIEFS people in order to burn off his stress. He takes glee in killing people over and over, and making them get upset, knowing that 'it's only a game' and that he is anonymous and there are no consequences.

THIS is the sort of mentality that I have come to expect from the majority of these PVP players. They have no sense of Sportsmanship, or fair play, no comradery in competition, no selfawareness or realization that by making people unhappy, they drive people away from the game. And an empty game is a dead game, and leaves them with nothing to do but beeyatch on Nation chat all day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBragg View Post
    I think the biggest issue with purpling isn't that it exists. It's that the consequences for doing so don't actually work, combined with the fact that overall the game activity rewards self centered behavior among those with a strong power fantasy. If crime points, trials, and jails actually served their intended purpose, flagrant abuse wouldn't be nearly as possible or rampant.

Looking at the big picture, the crime system probably needs an over haul. There has to be differentiation between minor crimes and purpling. If they change things up and fix the jail so it can't be broken out of, and the system keeps increasing your time based solely on the number of crimes committed, people will stop committing crimes altogether. How then will we get our jury cloaks?

Fix the jail, but make sure things like stealing from unprotected farms and assaults from guildies having fun have a minimal time constraint, and thus people will continue to do it. Make purpling (murder) a long jail stay.

We don't want to throw the ducks out with the pond water.

IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Aharian View Post

THIS is the sort of mentality that I have come to expect from the majority of these PVP players. They have no sense of Sportsmanship, or fair play, no comradery in competition, no selfawareness or realization that by making people unhappy, they drive people away from the game. And an empty game is a dead game, and leaves them with nothing to do but beeyatch on Nation chat all day.
    I played GW2 since its launch over 7 years and pvp there is real skill involved where ppl dual in wvw and they bow to each other before a dual yes ppl get ganked but it is frowned on by the community, yes ppl roam and out skilled out play new players but it's much more balanced, i had a dps class attack me on my guardian and i out played him cause no i couldn't kill him on that class but i out played his dps with skill and he couldn't kill me so he ended up just bowing to me and we both went our separate ways, a lot more skill involved in that then any skill from a high gs here.

Purpling ur own faction just awful killing lowbies disgusting absolutely no honour or skill totally takes away helping each other and any community i mean it's got to a point where ppl kill their own guild members at what point is that fun.

i have no incentive to play pvp in this game and certainly not going to waste my time being a healer, i imagine that's why they are so rare in the game, and no i wouldn't want to be part of a guild or even a raid, there is no help for new leveling players just fodder they are to high gs players that seem to enjoy the 1 shot.

Idk how this game is going to survive without new players most mmo's have a constant stream of new players this game it's like a desert waste land of no new players in those starting areas unless this game changes i don't see a good outcome for its future at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast