+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Auction House vs Player Operated Shops

Auction House vs Player Operated Shops

An auction house is pretty much a given feature in every MMO coming out nowadays. It is such a convenient mechanic, being able to list and buy anything available in the game at a central location. It is a crucial feature in almost every MMO, and excluding it is almost always foolish. For example, ESO's decision to exclude an AH would have been a terrible idea if it wasn't for the duping exploit. Players struggle to find what they need, due to having to manually spam chat looking for a deal, or list things with high fees to only be available to less than 500 players(in their guild), which likely won't sell at all. A themepark MMO without an AH struggles to strive economically, due to having no reliable means of players exchanging items.

However, I don't feel like an Auction house has a place in Archeage. Because Archeage is a sandbox MMO, it differs from most MMOs recently entering the market. It's core concept is to have player driven mechanics whenever possible; crime/punishment, piracy, castle sieges, and so much more is content dependent on players rather than internal systems. Unlike most themepark MMOs like WoW, ESO, or Wildstar, where the point of the game is to develop static content for players to consume, Archeage relies on the players to be the content.

I feel as if a mixture of player owned shops and manual trading would make the world feel like more of a sandbox, and make the world feel more significant. It would also develop more of a purpose for owning property, as the ability to profit from stocking and advertising your shop could really add meaning to the world. Because you can build on the actual world, and not instanced, this means that player vendors have far more potential than in most modern MMOs. You can open a shop, and actually have it open while offline, not just when using a vending skill. This is a core difference from most MMOs, which is why I feel it will be more successful in Archeage than if attempted in another MMO. I absolutely LOVED vending in another MMO I played, and you even had to stay logged in and idle to vend. Imagine how much better it would be if you can stock your shop every day, and people can buy stuff from you while you're away doing other things.

As a player, it also means you would have to search the land for the best deals. Some may view this as an inconvenience, but in my opinion it develops a more unique economy. Rather than people simply undercutting each other continuously, through a process known as "perfect competition", we start to see elements of a real economy at play. People will shop where is closer to them, at their favorite shops, and seek the best deals. Now there is a reason to go back to that level 10 zone, as you may want to see if anyone is selling what you need for cheaper than your neighbor. In my opinion, an MMO where every single zone is important is the key to success. In every single MMO I've played thus far, non endgame zones end up entirely forgotten, making the game feel much smaller than it really is. By giving these questing zones more of a purpose beyond player housing, every single spot matters, and the game will feel huge.

Now, some may wonder what this means for f2p players. I feel like this will allow for player driven markets. Shop owners may buy items from f2p players, intending to resell it at a higher price(with risk of course). I suppose they may be able to vend locally by their character, rather than a physical shop, too. Manual trade would work as well, so getting rid of items as a free player shouldn't be difficult. I feel like the change shouldn't impact free players too badly(as they cant own land).

I doubt this will change, as it would be a huge difference from the KR version. But if we did decide to change it, it would have to happen before launch. Once players are spoiled with an AH system, there's no taking it away without massive backlash.
    Looking to build a PC For Archeage?: http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...C-for-Archeage

Cause we totally want this, correct?

Player shops would definitely be awesome to have, but there would still need to be some way to direct people to them. Otherwise, you'll have endless advertising spam in the public areas, and nobody wants that.

But... it's something I'd really like to see happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Captn_Bringdown View Post

Haha. That's a bit different though. Player shops would be more of a building/tied to a physical location, and operate on their own without the player needing to be there, rather than casting a vend skill flooding cities with spam. I do suppose you might see a bit of faction chat spammed with "GO TO MY SHOP BELOW ___ CITY CHEAP ORE", but I don't think it would be too bad.
    Looking to build a PC For Archeage?: http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...C-for-Archeage

Hah. ^THIS^

There are ways to make it work though, it just would take some thought and creativity.

Sure, why not? It's a trade off between a somewhat more "sand-boxy" feel and convenience. It won't change anyways, I wouldn't be too opposed.

Maybe some kind of compromise could be nice!
    Member of Prodigy - ~ Strength & Honour ~
    Click HERE to apply now!

Bahahahaha oh god the days of Ragnarok. This shit drove me insane, but honestly i dont think we need a "pop up bubble" for our shop but use like a merchant cart you can go afk at in the city that people can check.
    The Oran'Thul
    http://www.oranthul.com
    A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

I would love to see player shops. Perhaps have them in only certain locations?

Quote Originally Posted by Skilliard View Post
    non endgame zones end up entirely forgotten, making the game feel much smaller than it really is.
    This. This so much.
    Very well written, btw!
    http://twitch.tv/LittleVee Streaming ArcheAge when/if I get alpha/beta \o/

100 times better to have players setting their own shop and actually enforcing their progression and up to the player to decide if to buy or not from him,if selling to that customer that can potentially be an enemy or not.
    Even cause a shop is an active player appearing on the screen,you see the guy you're selling-buying from,you can give feedback about the deal with this dude and his guild,see if he's a member into a trustworthy guild and such.
    auction house is just one of the classic fast-food aspect introduced into the newer games for lazy people,slow brained guys and 1 handed kids that can't do more than one task at once.
    -Supporting Archeagesource-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast