+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Combat overhaul for NA?

no please, i dont want to see any major overhauls :/

while combat isnt the most advanced or eye candy combat system ever, i think its the one that works the best with game like AA. Sure some would love to see more action(twitch) based combat, but lets face it, AA wasnt made for action combat. Changing it now would mean they would have to change so many other aspects of the game and thats not happening :P

No combat "overhauls" required in the slightest. The combat may LOOK boring, but as with many aspects of gaming, until you have actually played it and experienced it for yourself it's not worth judging.

The combat certainly isn't anything new, but there's a wide range of skills and combos available to change things up. Before playing ArcheAge, I was in a similar position where standard tab targeting was really bothering me in MMO's, however AA handles it very well and provides quite an enjoyable experience.

It's the same boring: stand in one spot and run your rotations over and over, moving only to get out of the aoe. I have yet to find or see any fluidity to the combat. The game is beautiful, the sandbox looks to be a lot of fun, but the combat just plain sucks. I spent too many years in WoW, RIFT, RoM, KO, and many others to get any excitement out of rotation clicking combat.

I thought about using a program to map the hotkeys to a controller, but they also have that same, "click the button, then place the circle on the ground where you want it, then click again" system that i just can't figure out how to do effectively with a controller.

They did so many cool and interesting things with the game and with combat spells, it's like they ran out of ideas for the system itself, and just did what everyone else does.

I think the current combat system is fine! Playing the Korean version seems smooth enough for me. Its nothing new but it does work and I am fine with that.

I find it quite odd how it seems like every time an MMO comes out it needs a "combat overhaul." Tera online had a combat overhaul, and people still complained... People are never happy. No matter what choice the developers make. lol

For me being a target based game as opposed to "free aim" type game isn't a big issue. Its true the feeling of playing the two types is very different but that doesn't mean one cant be as fun as the other.

With that said, what I absolutely, passionately dislike is the fact that you can target with TAB. It completely nullifies any sort of tactical positioning and/or the need for precision when targeting. Being able to tab target through every and any obstacle + completely disregarding line of sight. Not to mention the ridiculous range at which it targets. Hurts my brain trying to think of a reason for this to exist.

I know most of the ppl here who have never played a game without that feature would be like "wtf is this guy even crying about" but I also know there are many L2 players around who know exactly what I'm talking about since that's probably the game where targeting rewards or punishes the players most in mass pvps.

I also know there isn't even the slightest chance of this getting removed from the game but I thought I'd share anyway.

Regards.

Well, not like they are going to overhaul their combat system at this point anymore anyways but I've got to say I do somewhat prefer "active combat" as well. At least I thoroughly enjoyed it in Black Desert.
    [ Dahuta EU | Xdrac | <Navarchy> ]
    [ xdrac.com ]

The tab-targetted combat was the only negative I've seen so far with this game. So many MMOs have moved past that convention it will be a bit of jump to get back into that style of gameplay.

There are plenty of nteresting systems in this game though, so I think as long as the combat is still fast and fluid, it will be an enjoyable experience whether tab-targetted or not.

I actually think combat looks great. I'm personally a big fan of high responsive tab combat. As long as it has very good situational abilities, graphics that telegraph your opponents moves. Hopefully it will be easy to get into, but hard to master.

Quote Originally Posted by xDrac View Post
    Well, not like they are going to overhaul their combat system at this point anymore anyways but I've got to say I do somewhat prefer "active combat" as well. At least I thoroughly enjoyed it in Black Desert.
    Yeah Black Desert looks like some great TPS-like combat. I looked at the recent minimum requirements to play the next CBT and it's rough. Game looks great though.

I've had some friends pass on interest in this game due to it being tab-targetted. I hope that's not a major drawback for lots of people as Archeage looks pretty amazing with a lot of depth and breadth in all systems.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast