+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: I canceled my Patron because theres no available land.

Quote Originally Posted by RP4Lyfe View Post
    Sucks for you. *Goes back to farming my 7 properties*
    This is at least the second post I have seen from you taunting people that haven't been able to get land in-game. If you have 7 properties to farm, then why are you in the forums so much reading posts about not having land?
    Leader of the Firran guild, Apocalypse Meow.
    Salphira Server
    IGN: Purrfect

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobian View Post
    I did invest something. I invested my own time and money. You think i didn't invest enough that's fine it is your opinion but do you have to be so condescending.

All i'm doing is sharing my opinion and here you are.

Calling me a newb and saying I'm crying because I think spending days, DAYS looking for somewhere to put my newbie farm is a bit off putting. I mean screw me right?

One of the games I spent a lot of money in was star trek online but i actually got to fly a ship first, i didn't need to spend days trying to find a spaceport to take off in
    this game is not for you

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
    ahh ok thanks
    have never had that many properties so never ran into that
    I dont either buts why you see websites selling land in AA and bots owning 50+ properties each that are always for sale.

this game is not for you
    Really? it isn't for people with lots of time and disposable cash? That's a shame.

Really? it isn't for people with lots of time and disposable cash? That's a shame.
    Yeah, this. Trion / XL Games has a suboptimal business strategy.

Optimal usage of land for their revenue purposes would be to distribute available land among as many paying patron accounts as possible to maximize profit. An example would be capping the placed land per account at 50 certs across all servers. The current tax scheme doesn't prevent mass landgrabs, and as a result there are plenty of folks holding 10+ properties and thousands of patrons with at best an 8x8. What this means for Trion / XL Games is they are losing the interest and faith of paying Patron customers who wanted farming / housing as part of their gaming experience.

What this means for the game in the long run is a lower population and less revenue. The business strategy perplexes me. There are plenty of casual gamers who'd love to customize their house and farm over weeks and months (casual, remember) and pay Trion their subscription fee every time - its not like its expensive. Without land, paying for the game doesn't make a ton of sense.

no it is not for people who come cry on the forums when they hit the first obstacle in game.
    This game is designed to frustrate you- it causes conflict between players for everything
    I shudder to think what you would do once you try and run a tradepack to the other continent and the inevitable happens.

no it is not for people who come cry on the forums when they hit the first obstacle in game.
    FWIW I'm 50 with a hasla weap and my second set of trees in the 30's. I don't view the land problem as the first obstacle in the game, merely bad design and a suboptimal business strategy. I got a late start on my headstart, and there is pretty much zero available 16x16+ property on Aranzeb West that's zoned for farm or farmhouse left. All power to the land rushers who knew what they were doing (4 alts in first 4 hours claiming 8x8 + 16x16 each alt, then more 16x16s after level 12) - I can't blame them for abusing a poorly designed system, and the system is by definition poorly designed if the goal is to make Trion & XL Games money.

This isn't really a super casual gamer's game though. If it was they would have instanced housing

Trion has said time and again, this is PVP game and Land ownership is competitive.

Trying to dirty the game design too much with your ideas of business strat would actually make this a different game than it is. A core part of the game is the economy, and the economy only works if everyone is not equal. The economy only works if things are scarce.

Having are more selective audience isn't always a bad thing. Can't make everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
    This isn't really a super casual gamer's game though. If it was they would have instanced housing

Trion has said time and again, this is PVP game and Land ownership is competitive.

Trying to dirty the game design too much with your ideas of business strat would actually make this a different game than it is. A core part of the game is the economy, and the economy only works if everyone is not equal. The economy only works if things are scarce.

Having are more selective audience isn't always a bad thing. Can't make everyone happy.
    Points in order:

1) If you only cater to the hardcore, you definitively limit your revenue. WoW was groundbreaking because it catered to casuals. I was a hardcore EQ and pre-BC WoW raider. WoW's success came because it made content easy and available to everyone.

2) Land ownership is still competitive in a capped per account system such as the example above. First come first serve, better real estate still better, groups working together still achieve bigger goals. The only difference is a lack of land barons - or to become a land baron, you need to pay Trion an additional $15 every month for every 2-3 new plots. See, optimal revenue.

3) I'm not trying to dirty the game design. I'm pointing out how they could make more money. It's what I do for a living. (edit) Seriously, lecturing about the perils of touching the game economy in its present state (bot onslaught / farmland monopolies) is just funny.

4) Selective = smaller audience. It depends on what the goals of the company are. Do you want a $5MM revenue stream or a $500MM revenue stream? etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahl View Post
    Yeah, this. Trion / XL Games has a suboptimal business strategy.

Optimal usage of land...

What this means for the game in the long run is a lower population and less revenue. The business strategy perplexes me. There are plenty of casual gamers who'd love to customize their house and farm over weeks and months (casual, remember) and pay Trion their subscription fee every time - its not like its expensive. Without land, paying for the game doesn't make a ton of sense.
    Yeah, it perplexes me too - why would a company want to create a unique memorable game, that attracts a smaller but fiercely loyal long-term playerbase, and why would they want to get a reputation for sticking to their guns and the ideals of the original game, when they could create bland, sanitised mulch that does all the same things as every other game out there, and get a reputation for swaying under the pressure of every wet farting noise made my its limp-wristed playerbase, all to dribble away and be forgotten in a year? Makes no sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast