Closed Thread
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Opinion on Roleplay Server Identification?

Quote Originally Posted by Joey3155 View Post
    It's not so much they don't want RPers. It's that they realize if they designate a server for RPers then gankers are gonna want their own server, hardcore PvPers like me are gonna want another server, etc etc and the situation continues out of control. Otherwise what will happen is ok they cave they create a RP server. PvPers ask for their own server after all fair is fair, Trion says no, and all the PvPers walk away from Archeage. It's a slippery slope that Trion probably doesn't want to climb up.
    Sooo... label one server RP-PvP (role play PvP), one GP-PvP (gank play PvP) and one EP-PvP (environment play PvP). All three servers share the same game mechanics but allow like minded play styles to gather on their kind of server and everyone is happy.

Its amazing how many times the same question has been answered people overlook it

1. Adding an RP tag onto a server name does not change the game in any way. PVE only servers breaks the vision and essential gameplay systems of the game. Those that are coming into ArcheAge know that the game is centered around PVP, those who want to avoid PVP entirely won't be playing ArcheAge. Whether they are an rper or not. Just like there are RP-PVE players there are RP-PVP players. The only difference is that most RP-PVPers understand and respect our so called "carebear" bretheren. But I just as readily tell RP-PVE players who absolutely hate ganking to avoid this game. I am an RP-PVP player by default and have always preferred to play on RP-PVP servers if they were around in an mmo.

2. If everyone played on the same server those who hate rp would complain about having to deal with the rpers. Many ask "well why can't we all play on the same server". Simple, because most rpers don't want to have to deal with being harassed for rping. And many would do just that just for the lolz of it.

3. There have always been RP-PVP guilds in mmos that enjoy mixing PVP and RP together, just because you like RP doesn't mean you also don't like PVP, the difference is that RP-PVPers will usually have a character reason for their PVP, and not just kill people just for the hell of it. Its the difference of watching an epic battle in Gladiator vs outright mass murder.

I've certainly never seen a non rp pvp fight look like an epic war scene from a movie, but I've been in PLENTY of epic rp-pvp battles that had stories behind them and usually when I ran into a ganker on an rp-pvp server its because the character had a character reason for doing such and was a known criminal. Not because he/she was bored and just liked to run out and kill people just for the ♥♥♥♥s and giggles.
    House Assante a member of the Kingdom of Arisea

"Words, Weapons, War"

Quote Originally Posted by Maquiame View Post
    Its amazing how many times the same question has been answered people overlook it

1. Adding an RP tag onto a server name does not change the game in any way. PVE only servers breaks the vision and essential gameplay systems of the game. Those that are coming into ArcheAge know that the game is centered around PVP, those who want to avoid PVP entirely won't be playing ArcheAge. Whether they are an rper or not. Just like there are RP-PVE players there are RP-PVP players. The only difference is that most RP-PVPers understand and respect our so called "carebear" bretheren. But I just as readily tell RP-PVE players who absolutely hate ganking to avoid this game. I am an RP-PVP player by default and have always preferred to play on RP-PVP servers if they were around in an mmo.

2. If everyone played on the same server those who hate rp would complain about having to deal with the rpers. Many ask "well why can't we all play on the same server". Simple, because most rpers don't want to have to deal with being harassed for rping. And many would do just that just for the lolz of it.

3. There have always been RP-PVP guilds in mmos that enjoy mixing PVP and RP together, just because you like RP doesn't mean you also don't like PVP, the difference is that RP-PVPers will usually have a character reason for their PVP, and not just kill people just for the hell of it. Its the difference of watching an epic battle in Gladiator vs outright mass murder.

I've certainly never seen a non rp pvp fight look like an epic war scene from a movie, but I've been in PLENTY of epic rp-pvp battles that had stories behind them and usually when I ran into a ganker on an rp-pvp server its because the character had a character reason for doing such and was a known criminal. Not because he/she was bored and just liked to run out and kill people just for the ♥♥♥♥s and giggles.
    Quite well said. All this isn't really new in knowledge, but noticed that some seem to view it quite confused. Though, think this user, and many others have explained it before. The tags doesn't change the game.

This is a two-sided blade . It is always nice to see a lot of Role-players on the same server. I have seen that when you give a small percentage of Role-players a dedicated server with its own ruleset, they want to tell other players how to play on "their" server. I rather see an unofficial RP server as then the RP-community is more likely to work together and will be more friendly to "outsiders". Darkfall was a ffa pvp sandbox game and RP did well there. No RP server, but a RP alliance managed to take over half the world.

A small example:
    LOTRO had a RP server and several times a GM approached me to tell I had to change my name, because it got reported for not meeting the RP-ruleset by another player. Instead the RP-er in question would interact with me ingame and ask (rp-ing) me why I have that name. The first few years, after I explained the background story to the GM, I got to keep the name. After the FTP (apperently the GMs were replaced by an automated system) I had to rename without being heard.
    I used one of these "RP-breaking" names in Neverwinter and had the most awesome RP encounters with rp-ers and non rp-ers, who wanted to know more about the name.

I support this because it will attract more mature players. I love PVP, sandbox & crafting but I'm not interested in the "Lol u bad" WoW "If you're not the best you're nothing" type of mentality plaguing most pvp games. I'm not interested in typing 50 paragraphs RP'ing my character to the max but I am interested in keeping the immersion as high as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    This is a two-sided blade . It is always nice to see a lot of Role-players on the same server. I have seen that when you give a small percentage of Role-players a dedicated server with its own ruleset, they want to tell other players how to play on "their" server. I rather see an unofficial RP server as then the RP-community is more likely to work together and will be more friendly to "outsiders". Darkfall was a ffa pvp sandbox game and RP did well there. No RP server, but a RP alliance managed to take over half the world.

A small example:
    LOTRO had a RP server and several times a GM approached me to tell I had to change my name, because it got reported for not meeting the RP-ruleset by another player. Instead the RP-er in question would interact with me ingame and ask (rp-ing) me why I have that name. The first few years, after I explained the background story to the GM, I got to keep the name. After the FTP (apperently the GMs were replaced by an automated system) I had to rename without being heard.
    I used one of these "RP-breaking" names in Neverwinter and had the most awesome RP encounters with rp-ers and non rp-ers, who wanted to know more about the name.
    But if they don't make a ruleset and just give the tag then Role-Players will be able to have a tagged server that has the same mechanics and gameplay as all the other servers. But it will allow us to all locate to a server easier.

Ok.... here is how it is.

All Trion would have to do is this; put the tag RP next to a server name e.g Nuia-RP and then just enforce RP friendly naming which is mostly handled by players reporting none RP friendly names in the first place, beyond that there are no extra rules needed.

It keeps the RP community together, effects no game mechanics what so ever and requires next to no effort on Trions behalf. All they would need is to add on the RP unfriendly report to a normal inappropriate name report feature.
    I see no reason why this is an issue at all and it infuriates me that Riot wont give a reply to a large number of people asking in the weekly Livestream and the number of people who have made similar threads and to those here. It is a disgrace to the Role Play community as a whole.

ArcheAge is the MMO roleplayers have been waiting for. Everything about it is RolePlayer friendly, believe it or not even the PK system is because Role Playing is meant to be immersive and what is more immersion breaking than the inability to attack anyone around you in MMO's Like WoW, SWTOR, GW2 and so on just because?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Chyna View Post
    Sooo... label one server RP-PvP (role play PvP), one GP-PvP (gank play PvP) and one EP-PvP (environment play PvP). All three servers share the same game mechanics but allow like minded play styles to gather on their kind of server and everyone is happy.
    Your missing the point completely. Well actually you just made my point. If Trion adopts a platform of appeasement. We'll log in on launch to the sight of three dozen servers. Cause everyone is gonna want a server with their playstyle scribbled on it.
    "Every moment of anger, hate, deceit, pain, suffering, pleasure, and desire is mirrored in the power of Chaos. When its legions march, they march to return upon us a ruin that is of our own making."

Definitely a good idea. People looking for an actual role-playing experience would otherwise be hard-pressed to find a community that shares their interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdimension View Post
    Definitely a good idea. People looking for an actual role-playing experience would otherwise be hard-pressed to find a community that shares their interest.
    Struggled to find a centralized website for the RP community let alone that 1 server all Roleplayers are on.

Closed Thread
Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast