View Poll Results: Should Trion have rp tagged servers?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would love to have rp tagged servers

213 68.93%
  • I don't really care

67 21.68%
  • I don't want rp tagged servers

29 9.39%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: RP tagged server poll, and facts and fiction/true or false

I HIGHLY suggest anyone who voted here to also vote on this thread below, this really affects rpers heavily and will cause many of our more PVE/less PVP interested bretheren to not play the game
    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...Routes-as-well
    House Assante a member of the Kingdom of Arisea

"Words, Weapons, War"

id like to add my own 2 cents to this post. first, i fully support the RP community getting their own server. i find the OP to have created a very well written post that covered all of the bases. the biggest one being that there are non-RP'rs who roll on RP-PvP servers. im one such player. i do it for all the reasons mentioned, but i also have to say that during my MMO career the RP-PvP guys are some of the most vicious sonsof♥♥♥♥♥es ive fought with and against. my best experience with these kinds of players was on phoenix throne back in the war online era. many servers were playing keep trading and just abusing the game's mechanics. phoenix throne was a field of blood fire and death. then when rift launched i was on the sunrest RP PVP server. pretty much stayed the same flavor of community.

these servers were mature, laid back (except during primetime PvP hours), and i didnt have to deal with seeing a bunch of little timmy's and johnny's making complete fools of themselves. plus the RP folks are generally good people, i have never had any issues with them nor have they with me. i just mind my own business, kill people happily, and make in-game cash whenever possible or cause a huge fight some place. they arent a bunch of tea time nancy's prancing in a field, they love to fight so thats earned my respect. these servers also attract some really strong PvP oriented guilds who also feel the same way of not wanting to put up with pre-pubescent kids in the bodies of 23 yr olds. they arent MLG BRO status for reasons of RL being more important, but they can really tear ♥♥♥♥ up with high level of coordination and class set up for zerg busting. id say give these people their RP server so we can know where to go to find the damn party. thanks for reading.

I would really appreciate and love an official Roleplay realm. While unofficial realms organized by the RP community work well, it is always nice to know that there is some official support behind that community. I for one feel much more comfortable roleplaying on an official server, as I do not feel I will be bothering anyone since they willingly joined a Roleplay server.

Thanks to everyone who voted so far!
    House Assante a member of the Kingdom of Arisea

"Words, Weapons, War"

Quote Originally Posted by sevenFD View Post
    id like to add my own 2 cents to this post. first, i fully support the RP community getting their own server. i find the OP to have created a very well written post that covered all of the bases. the biggest one being that there are non-RP'rs who roll on RP-PvP servers. im one such player. i do it for all the reasons mentioned, but i also have to say that during my MMO career the RP-PvP guys are some of the most vicious sonsof♥♥♥♥♥es ive fought with and against. my best experience with these kinds of players was on phoenix throne back in the war online era. many servers were playing keep trading and just abusing the game's mechanics. phoenix throne was a field of blood fire and death. then when rift launched i was on the sunrest RP PVP server. pretty much stayed the same flavor of community.

these servers were mature, laid back (except during primetime PvP hours), and i didnt have to deal with seeing a bunch of little timmy's and johnny's making complete fools of themselves. plus the RP folks are generally good people, i have never had any issues with them nor have they with me. i just mind my own business, kill people happily, and make in-game cash whenever possible or cause a huge fight some place. they arent a bunch of tea time nancy's prancing in a field, they love to fight so thats earned my respect. these servers also attract some really strong PvP oriented guilds who also feel the same way of not wanting to put up with pre-pubescent kids in the bodies of 23 yr olds. they arent MLG BRO status for reasons of RL being more important, but they can really tear ♥♥♥♥ up with high level of coordination and class set up for zerg busting. id say give these people their RP server so we can know where to go to find the damn party. thanks for reading.
    You're cool man! I love people like you who respect a fight so much. Not a ganking coward.

I would be in favor of a RP flagged server but what you are asking for is likely to create a mountain sized headache for Trion.

Let me explain. =)

We just want a flagged server, NO SPECIAL RULES. Nope won't work. If it is a RP flagged server folks are going to expect (whether it's explicitly stated or not) that the usual RP rule set is going to apply. And when they find out that it doesn't and it's just a traffic sign to direct the roleplayers there they will complain about Trion not manning up and setting up some sort of RP ruleset.
    Character names and the like. Not sure what the current usual bevy of rules are for RP servers since I haven't been on one since EQ Luclin era.

There WILL be a certain expectation of rules management if there is a RP flagged server. I know I know, you state otherwise. I don't believe you, sorry...
    Well, you I believe, but John Q. Roleplayer six months from now I don't believe.

And unless roleplayers have changed drastically over the years I think I know where part of the "need" for an official flag is. The various RP communities (there never seems to be just one unified one) each will have their decision for which UNofficial server will be THE server. And you are possibly attempting to circumvent this eventuality by putting the onus on Trion to set it in stone. Admit it or not RP communities can be a little catty towards each other.

My personal suggestion is that you guys send ambassadors to each other's forums and come to an understanding and make the most out of your community. And use this resource (alpha and pre-beta forums) to educate potential RP's of your external forums and when the Server List announcement goes out you guys hash it out and announce here where the RP server will be.

Reinforcing my point then finishing my wall of text:
    Trion cannot flag a server as a RP server without a RP server rule set or it will create issues for them later on. Name violation reports, ooc in general reports (by the extreme purists) and other sorts of stuff I'm too tired to think of.
    Again, if they flag a server there will eventually be an upswelling of complaints for RP ruleset. This will indeed mean more work than just adding two letters.

But I could very well be totally offbase as I am half-awake. =)

Jorm

In response to the above, I don't believe that's Trion's reasoning for not creating an RP server. Sure, they'd probably still get the occasional unjustified report by someone who doesn't realize that there is no ruleset in place for the hypothetical RP-tagged server, but I think what they're more concerned about boils down to profit and loss. Maintaining extra servers costs the company money. I think they're concerned that an RP server would be so underpopulated that it would eventually require a merge--and that would also be a headache for Trion considering the nature of this game (land claiming and the like) further down the line.

I believe they want all of the servers to be packed to the brim for the inevitable launch-rush, because that is the most cost effective route. Unless RPers showed up on these forums in droves, I think they'd continue to resign themselves to making the RPers pick.
    ArcheAge-Roleplay.net

Wᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇʀ ᴏɴ Wʏɴɴ
    Formerly Wanderer on Tahyang
    Lore nerd since CBT3 KR

Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
    In response to the above, I don't believe that's Trion's reasoning for not creating an RP server. Sure, they'd probably still get the occasional unjustified report by someone who doesn't realize that there is no ruleset in place for the hypothetical RP-tagged server, but I think what they're more concerned about boils down to profit and loss. Maintaining extra servers costs the company money. I think they're concerned that an RP server would be so underpopulated that it would eventually require a merge--and that would also be a headache for Trion considering the nature of this game (land claiming and the like) further down the line.

I believe they want all of the servers to be packed to the brim for the inevitable launch-rush, because that is the most cost effective route. Unless RPers showed up on these forums in droves, I think they'd continue to resign themselves to making the RPers pick.
    You could be entirely correct. =)
    I might've just been throwing out potential headaches that I saw thinly veneered as forward thinking on Trion's part. As I said I was half-asleep when I posted that.
    But I don't think they would have to partition off "additional" space for a RP server, they could just flag one of the number they are planning to set up already. If they have a number for release servers in their collective heads already. That way if need be they could just take the first step of removing the RP flag prior to moving on to the second step of actual consolidation.
    And boy would that be a migraine to listen to (even if there were just twenty RP's left on the server they'd let EVERYONE know their displeasure).

I guess ultimately my thoughts are on matter is this: if they can't do it properly, i.e. an actual RP environment with a server rule set they shouldn't bother. Let the RP forums enlist their individual representatives and once a server list is provided by Trion they hold a conclave and elect a server for everyone to join on headstart. Followed by the general RP masses on release.
    And try to make sure that Trion is in the loop as to which server it is incase they do follow through post release and designate an RP server. Hope, pray, sacrifice a goat, etc..., that they make it the same server.

Jorm

Mm, I'm hoping that Trion at least hosts some sort of official poll so the three RP sites have one collective base to go to and cast their opinions in with the rest of the community that may not be on any of the forums.

NCsoft did the same for Aion when it was released. While they refused to officially tag a server, they did hold a poll of their own asking which should be the unofficial RP server. Lumiel (later merged to New Israphel) then became the place to go for RP. Unfortunately, without that tag, and with the passage of time, new players to the game had no idea where to go for RP (and they didn't research it on their own), resulting in little niche groups of RP on ever server, many of which felt slightly isolated and frustrated when they learned that there was an RP community out there.
    ArcheAge-Roleplay.net

Wᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇʀ ᴏɴ Wʏɴɴ
    Formerly Wanderer on Tahyang
    Lore nerd since CBT3 KR

As an RPer that doesnt always RP, I 9 out of 10 times join an RP server even if I dont intend to RP because the crowd tends to be more mature. You have less streakers / strippers in the cities. If you need actual help - yes there will be trolls, just less of them. and the server tends to be more courteous and polite to one another. There will still be PvP there will still be complaining, ganking and everything else, just a bit better community.

At the same time I"m for keeping patron costs down so I'll let trion decide how they will handle it and honor their decision
    Novus Dominion
    Expected toon name: Fagaley
    Guild Class: Legionairy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast